What's new

WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
haineshisway said:
Then when the Dance at the Gym was playing I could swear I heard the trumpets play a three-note motif that sounded just like the word heard by the original poster - you know the one. I daren't post it here for fear of being bitch-slapped from here to eternity and hell and back.
Hmmm...FROM HERE TO ETERNITY starred Burt Lancaster and TO HELL AND BACK starred Audie Murphy.
Now, what was the one movie to feature both of them?

13978367308_82dfdc85bc.jpg

THE UNFORGIVEN. That's it! The hidden message of this whole thread. We're all...unforgiven.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Doug Bull said:
This thread is getting nasty again.
The childish sarcasm directed at the OP and others is no longer very funny.

Anyway, I'm now giving this thread a very wide berth.
Go ahead Insult all you like, but I for one will not be part of it.

Doug.
I don't see childish sarcasm. I see all sides of the posts being made here - the ones who are convinced that somehow a certain word, through whatever confluence of events, is there, those who absolutely think it isn't, and those who are having some fun with all these silly posts. If you see that as "childish sarcasm" directed at the original poster (I really don't see it at ALL - no one is calling this guy names or putting him down in any serious way, although one could question his response to my last post as being rather - I don't know - disingenuous, and makes me think this whole thing has been a put on since day one) then I don't know what anyone can say to make you see otherwise, although the posts here kind of speak for themselves, don't you think?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I first read the OP's original post, I pretty much dismissed it. I think there are plenty of people who are looking for something to offend them. Then I listened to the wav file and I heard the words. However the phrase sounds odd, and I'm pretty sure it's an unintentional result caused by various sounds being accidentally mixed together.

Than I read this from the OP:
cinerama10 said:
The lyrics of the song 'I feel pretty' are the same as those that were sung in the film originally. 'Gay" had a different meaning back then. .I remember the words in the film back in 1961- they were sung as they were written. The word gay is appropriate if you listen to the lyrics that preceded it. I have an old video of a stage show and the lyrics are the same.Gay does not mean lesbianism as you have mentioned.
When I read the post by Bruce, I was laughing, as he intended. He was clearly writing tongue-in-cheek. It was easily recognizable and I can be very slow to pick up subtle things (refer to my posts in the "gay friendly movies" thread). If the OP couldn't see the true intent of Bruce's post, than I understand why he believes the offending phrase was inserted intentionally.

BTW, have you heard the xmas carol with the offending lyrics: "Don we now our gay apparel." Apparently this had been going on for some time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doug Bull said:
This thread is getting nasty again.
The childish sarcasm directed at the OP and others is no longer very funny.

Anyway, I'm now giving this thread a very wide berth.
Go ahead Insult all you like, but I for one will not be part of it.

Doug.
We won't allow that to happen again as the Moderator Staff has this thread under constant review.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
FoxyMulder said:
The c***suckers part comes before the punk part is said, listen to the first part of it from the beginning.
I have listened. The word punks is said more than once. If you are saying you're hearing the offending word prior to the first punks, then, no, I don't hear anything resembling that word. I don't hear that word, at any moment in the clip, but I suppose I could understand why someone might think they're hearing it in the various comments being said at the same time as the first punks. Prior, not at all.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Maher_289910 said:
I have listened. The word punks is said more than once. If you are saying you're hearing the offending word prior to the first punks, then, no, I don't hear anything resembling that word. I don't hear that word, at any moment in the clip, but I suppose I could understand why someone might think they're hearing it in the various comments being said at the same time as the first punks. Prior, not at all.
I'm hearing what i think is the word but logic tells me it's an illusion and what i think i hear isn't what i am actually hearing.

I was skeptical about all this until i listened to the WAV file, it does sound like the offending word, i put this down to hearing loss, words mixed together at certain frequencies can be hard for those with hearing loss to identify the real words spoken.

Anyone else either not hearing it or hearing it, i suggest taking this hearing test, preferably with headphones since you should then get the full range for each ear, i would be interested in knowing the results and seeing if my theory is correct.

http://www.starkey.com/online-hearing-test

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
FoxyMulder said:
I'm hearing what i think is the word but logic tells me it's an illusion and what i think i hear isn't what i am actually hearing.

I was skeptical about all this until i listened to the WAV file, it does sound like the offending word, i put this down to hearing loss, words mixed together at certain frequencies can be hard for those with hearing loss to identify the real words spoken.

Anyone else either not hearing it or hearing it, i suggest taking this hearing test, preferably with headphones since you should then get the full range for each ear, i would be interested in knowing the results and seeing if my theory is correct.

http://www.starkey.com/online-hearing-test
It sounds nothing like the word when I play the blu-ray disc in my Oppo through my sound system. In fact, it's incredibly clear what is being said. However, while I don't hear it in the wav file, I can understand why someone might think they hear it in that. So I wonder if it also has to do with compression, as well as sound system and speaker placement.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JohnMor said:
It sounds nothing like the word when I play the blu-ray disc in my Oppo through my sound system. In fact, it's incredibly clear what is being said. However, while I don't hear it in the wav file, I can understand why someone might think they hear it in that. So I wonder if it also has to do with compression, as well as sound system and speaker placement.
No idea about that but i have a very good 7.1 system, i also calibrate things very carefully as to me sound quality is as important as image quality, no hearing needed for calibrating the system since i use a sound pressure meter, calibration discs and computer software, i haven't listened to the WAV file using my home cinema speakers, i just used the computer, i will listen again in the next five minutes using very good Sennheiser headphones.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Michel_Hafner said:
I'm hearing "Break it up you punk suckers, cut it out".
That's what I hear. I never would have heard what the op said and still don't.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is the test i took for hearing and i failed it, it's dialogue mixed together and it's why i suspect i hear that word in the WAV file, i have lost the ability to hear high frequency sounds and different pitches of sound, the test below is excellent for evaluating this.

I do hear the punk part of the dialogue but that's because it comes after the offending word i think i hear and not before.

The other hearing test i linked to above i actually passed 90% of it, i only failed on one word.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/04/06/175945670/the-real-sounds-of-hearing-loss

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
FoxyMulder said:
This is the test i took for hearing and i failed it, it's dialogue mixed together and it's why i suspect i hear that word in the WAV file, i have lost the ability to hear high frequency sounds and different pitches of sound, the test below is excellent for evaluating this.

I do hear the punk part of the dialogue but that's because it comes after the offending word i think i hear and not before.

The other hearing test i linked to above i actually passed 90% of it, i only failed on one word.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/04/06/175945670/the-real-sounds-of-hearing-loss
There is no hearing test on that page, just sound clips that simulate what it sounds like with various problems. The only thing that might pass for a test, is the normal clip, which sounds, normal, to me. It didn't to you?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Maher_289910 said:
There is no hearing test on that page, just sound clips that simulate what it sounds like with various problems. The only thing that might pass for a test, is the normal clip, which sounds, normal, to me. It didn't to you?
Not a normal hearing test in the traditional sense but the tests tell you if you have problems, i failed that test, i failed the loss of high frequencies, the loss of clarity and the loss of weak sounds test, this is why i think i hear that imaginary word in the WAV file.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Also, for what it's worth, the wav file sounds somewhat different from what's on my blu-ray. That's why I think the compression of the sound may be playing a part as well.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
FoxyMulder said:
P.S. What do the little Oscars represent next to our avatars, i presume it's related to post count.
Yes, they and the title above your avatar are tied to post count. If a user has a badge (moderator, reviewer, etc) then that will show in place of the generic gold statues that look different enough from an Oscar to avoid any scuffles with the Academy :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just listened to the clip posted here on a better set of speakers. The power of suggestion is strong, but I hear, "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out!"

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
Just listened to the clip posted here on a better set of speakers. The power of suggestion is strong, but I hear, "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out!"
Did you listen to the whole clip or just part of it. ?

I hear that line too but before it gets to that line i hear another sentence and the other word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks