WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by cinerama10, May 2, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Hmmm...FROM HERE TO ETERNITY starred Burt Lancaster and TO HELL AND BACK starred Audie Murphy.
    Now, what was the one movie to feature both of them?

[​IMG]

THE UNFORGIVEN. That's it! The hidden message of this whole thread. We're all...unforgiven.

2. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Am I the only one who is beginning to think this entire thing was a put on? Because if Cinerama10 took MY post seriously then something is awry somewhere :)

3. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    It's even worse for Canucks. In print and packaging, we are obliged to add "mondevert". ^_^

4. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I don't see childish sarcasm. I see all sides of the posts being made here - the ones who are convinced that somehow a certain word, through whatever confluence of events, is there, those who absolutely think it isn't, and those who are having some fun with all these silly posts. If you see that as "childish sarcasm" directed at the original poster (I really don't see it at ALL - no one is calling this guy names or putting him down in any serious way, although one could question his response to my last post as being rather - I don't know - disingenuous, and makes me think this whole thing has been a put on since day one) then I don't know what anyone can say to make you see otherwise, although the posts here kind of speak for themselves, don't you think?

ahollis likes this.
  5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    When I first read the OP's original post, I pretty much dismissed it. I think there are plenty of people who are looking for something to offend them. Then I listened to the wav file and I heard the words. However the phrase sounds odd, and I'm pretty sure it's an unintentional result caused by various sounds being accidentally mixed together.

Than I read this from the OP:
    When I read the post by Bruce, I was laughing, as he intended. He was clearly writing tongue-in-cheek. It was easily recognizable and I can be very slow to pick up subtle things (refer to my posts in the "gay friendly movies" thread). If the OP couldn't see the true intent of Bruce's post, than I understand why he believes the offending phrase was inserted intentionally.

BTW, have you heard the xmas carol with the offending lyrics: "Don we now our gay apparel." Apparently this had been going on for some time.

ahollis likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    We won't allow that to happen again as the Moderator Staff has this thread under constant review.

7. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    I have listened. The word punks is said more than once. If you are saying you're hearing the offending word prior to the first punks, then, no, I don't hear anything resembling that word. I don't hear that word, at any moment in the clip, but I suppose I could understand why someone might think they're hearing it in the various comments being said at the same time as the first punks. Prior, not at all.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I'm hearing what i think is the word but logic tells me it's an illusion and what i think i hear isn't what i am actually hearing.

I was skeptical about all this until i listened to the WAV file, it does sound like the offending word, i put this down to hearing loss, words mixed together at certain frequencies can be hard for those with hearing loss to identify the real words spoken.

Anyone else either not hearing it or hearing it, i suggest taking this hearing test, preferably with headphones since you should then get the full range for each ear, i would be interested in knowing the results and seeing if my theory is correct.

http://www.starkey.com/online-hearing-test

9. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    I got normal. I hear well is most listening environments. I got 100% on the word test.

10. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    It sounds nothing like the word when I play the blu-ray disc in my Oppo through my sound system. In fact, it's incredibly clear what is being said. However, while I don't hear it in the wav file, I can understand why someone might think they hear it in that. So I wonder if it also has to do with compression, as well as sound system and speaker placement.

Cine_Capsulas likes this.
  11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    No idea about that but i have a very good 7.1 system, i also calibrate things very carefully as to me sound quality is as important as image quality, no hearing needed for calibrating the system since i use a sound pressure meter, calibration discs and computer software, i haven't listened to the WAV file using my home cinema speakers, i just used the computer, i will listen again in the next five minutes using very good Sennheiser headphones.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    That's what I hear. I never would have heard what the op said and still don't.

13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    This is the test i took for hearing and i failed it, it's dialogue mixed together and it's why i suspect i hear that word in the WAV file, i have lost the ability to hear high frequency sounds and different pitches of sound, the test below is excellent for evaluating this.

I do hear the punk part of the dialogue but that's because it comes after the offending word i think i hear and not before.

The other hearing test i linked to above i actually passed 90% of it, i only failed on one word.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/04/06/175945670/the-real-sounds-of-hearing-loss

14. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    There is no hearing test on that page, just sound clips that simulate what it sounds like with various problems. The only thing that might pass for a test, is the normal clip, which sounds, normal, to me. It didn't to you?

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Not a normal hearing test in the traditional sense but the tests tell you if you have problems, i failed that test, i failed the loss of high frequencies, the loss of clarity and the loss of weak sounds test, this is why i think i hear that imaginary word in the WAV file.

16. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Also, for what it's worth, the wav file sounds somewhat different from what's on my blu-ray. That's why I think the compression of the sound may be playing a part as well.

ROclockCK likes this.
  17. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Yes, they and the title above your avatar are tied to post count. If a user has a badge (moderator, reviewer, etc) then that will show in place of the generic gold statues that look different enough from an Oscar to avoid any scuffles with the Academy :)

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Neat.

19. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Just listened to the clip posted here on a better set of speakers. The power of suggestion is strong, but I hear, "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out!"

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Did you listen to the whole clip or just part of it. ?

I hear that line too but before it gets to that line i hear another sentence and the other word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.