What's new

WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The line in question occurs at 14:58 into the blu-ray. Listening to my most hi-fi listening device (Sennheiser HD600 headphones) I still hear the line as reported by the OP.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Boy, I came late to the party. I can't believe this has gone on for TEN pages! Anyways, I listened to the clip several times and to me I hear an overlapping of 2 voices. The first says "cut", while the second says right after "suckers". I distinctly hear "cut" not "c***". Not paying attention to it, I can easily understand someone hearing those not so good words.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
JohnMor said:
Also, for what it's worth, the wav file sounds somewhat different from what's on my blu-ray. That's why I think the compression of the sound may be playing a part as well.
The WAV is not compressed. But it's only the center channel.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Adam Gregorich said:
Yes, they and the title above your avatar are tied to post count. If a user has a badge (moderator, reviewer, etc) then that will show in place of the generic gold statues that look different enough from an Oscar to avoid any scuffles with the Academy :)
I thought we were allowed to edit our title? I have.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The best part of this thread is that different members' wives all immediately heard the word "c**ksucker", it makes me think that they're all going from what is most familiar to them (similar to how some people hear what they want to hear) if you get my meaning. I wonder if the mixing was deliberate, to send subliminal messages?

In any event, I listened to the file, and while I want to hear the naughty word, I cannot. At best, you could perhaps mistake "punks" for "cocks" (chickens, of course), but I'm having difficulty with the "ucker" part, because the volume necessarily dips, since it isn't the same person talking. As far as I'm concerned, he is clearly saying "Break it up, you punks!" and then someone else interjects.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
cinerama10 said:
Actually they are investigating the issue.They have already apologised for the problem. They have also asked for several additional details. They cannot lose their reputation should a person responsible for the restoration, change some words as an ego trip. Two other friends who have viewed the film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else is out there where the restorer has done similar tricks. If you had heard the words you would know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.
Has Fox gotten back to the OP, beyond apologizing for the problem?

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Right. We're sorry for your hearing a word that for some reason you seem predisposed to hear, but isn't on the soundtrack of a film we released on home video. Please accept our apology, and know that we are investigating this, as our reputation is at stake. Sincerely, Your Friends at Fox

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
haineshisway said:
I think we all know the answer just as I think we all know no apology has been issued - apology for WHAT exactly?
Yes they did send an apology and a few days later also contacted me again and offered a replacement disc if I returned the original one.I declined as it is now a collectors item. I thought that I mentioned this in a previous comment.I also make Fox aware of this site in order for them to see that others heard the same words.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I will accept that as the final word...close this thread...and allow us all to head off in other directions of the forum.

Thank you.

[If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks