What's new

Well recorded reggae (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
well I'll probably win the obvious award for this one but ....
Bob Marley "Legend"

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Third World is the only reggae band I've ever really gotten into. Their latest album "Ain't Givin' Up" is excellent and well recorded.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There's a nice compilation out called "O Reggae Where Art Thou". It is a good cross section of reggae tracks, most from the early 70s. It is actually a repackaging of a 1990 DCC compilation called "Reggae Classics". Most of the songs are very well recorded, and the mastering is by Steve Hoffman and sounds great. Here's the line-up:

I Man Bitter - Pluto
School - Prince Jazzbo
No Portion a Gal - Sang Hugh
Rasta Stop No One - Stingers
Boogie Bump - Pluto
Everything I Own - Ken Boothe
Ram Goat Liver - Pluto
Hold My Hand - Jackie & the Starlites
Fire, Fire - Lloyd Robinson
Country Living - Eagles
A So - Willows
Johnny Reggae - Big Youth
Aily I - Cynthia Richards
Second Chance - Ken Boothe
Until It's Done - Delroy Wilson
As Long as You Love Me - Maytones
Rasta No Born Yah - Sang Hugh
Westbound Train - Dennis Brown
Silver Words - Ken Boothe
Have a Little Faith - Nicky Thomas

Regards,

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There's a nice compilation out called "O Reggae Where Art Thou".
You can also still find this release under the original title "Reggae Classics". Exactly the same cuts and mastering, as I understand it.

Sticking with the classics, my favorite Bob Marley collection (and with excellent sonics) is the "Songs of Freedom" boxset. A tad pricey, though certainly no more than its worth considering the enormous amount of great music contained in it, and still the definitive Marley collection.

I also quite like the SACD of Peter Tosh's "Legalize It".

Michael_T

Second Unit
To be honest, I don't think reggae is supposed to be well recorded.;)

Actually, there is quite a bit like later Bob Marley, and alot of the new "commercial" reggae that sounds very good sonically.

But for me, a diehard reggae fan that has over 500 LPS, and hundreds of CDs of classic and even obscure reggae, the raw and "poor" sound quality of much of the classic 1970's to early '80s adds to it's charm.

For some reason, when reggae is too well recorded it loses some of it's impact and charm. Maybe because I really like the classic period, and have many Jamaican import vinyl pressings I got so used to that kind of sound.

Oh well.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Yes, I've also got a lot of old reggae and ska from the Trojan years. I also have a great CD from a band called Midnite called 'Ras Mek Peace' which is brilliantly recorded, and I'm hoping for more of the same quality.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks