What's new

Weird Audio Visual Desynchronization Issue, Any Help Appreciated!! (1 Viewer)

captroper

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hey Everyone,
I apologize if this isn't in the right place. I have an Onkyo Ht-S3500 sound system out in the living room http://bit.ly/RB7Gog, and a Sony Bravia T.V http://bit.ly/RB8nho. I've been trying to play games out there from my computer in an adjacent room, to that end I have a Nvidia Geforce 460 Graphics card, and a SB Recon Pcie sound card, with an hdmi cable going from the graphics card to the onkyo receiver and a SPDIF/toslink cable going from the sound card to the receiver.
I get this weird audio visual desynchronization issue with anything I play on the T.V (movies, games, anything). I can 'fix' this by adjusting the AV setting on the onkyo receiver to around -170MS. However, it was only recently that I started trying to play games out there. As it turns out, the receiver only supports 1080i, and 30hz seems pretty low for gaming on, so I switched the hdmi cable over to the T.V which gives me full 1080p.
The problem is that when I do this I can no longer adjust the AV setting on the receiver to a negative amount, it only lets me set it positive, the result being that the lips and the voices are way off (as well as every other sound). I've tried adjusting the speaker distance config in the system to fake a delay, but it just doesn't help enough. My brain isn't really working anymore after 8 hours of working on this, is there something I'm missing or any other solution out there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
- Adam

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Does your computer allow you to send audio over HDMI too? Do you have sync issues if you do it this way? Is there any way to set an audio delay on your sound card? Some TVs have a "game mode" that cuts down on the amount to processing done to a video image, decreasing any audio delay. Have you looked for or tried turning this on?

captroper

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Adam- I have no sync issues when I send the audio over HDMI, however due to the weird way that the audio card works I can't actually send 5.1 DD over HDMI, so it kind of defeats the purpose.
Sam- Actually, I think that was wrong, I'm pretty sure the issue was I was losing enough signal over 50 feet so that it was only showing up as 1080i. Anyways, I replaced the video card and now the lag is gone entirely, thanks for your help!
- Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks