Weekly RoundUp 9-20-2011 (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Enjoy Dumbo on BD, Mike! I may have to do so vicariously through you -- both wrt the BD (at least for the moment) and your great love of such Disney classics...

Cheers!

_Man_

terry deto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Terry
Harry Potter The Complete 8-Film Collection Region-Free Blu-ray Set (pre-order) $47 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00543RC0Y/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by terry deto

Harry Potter The Complete 8-Film Collection Region-Free Blu-ray Set (pre-order) $47

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00543RC0Y/

Wow. That looks like an exceptional deal. And, you get HP and the Philosopher's Stone (sted Sorcerer's Stone).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'll buy Hawaii 5-0 if they promise to use the $50 to buy sandwiches for Grace Park. Looks like I can get Dumbo and Spooky Buddies plus the Dumbo toy at BB for a total of $30 after the $8 and two $5 DMR coupons. Plus the DMR site says you can send away for a free Buddies plush too. The Buddies flicks are decent kiddie fare, and my kid loves 'em, so it's probably worth it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I noticed that my local Best Buy ad shows $44.99 for the Hawaii 5-0 Blu-Ray set.

I believe that is correct, Aaron. The price I had must've been a typo and has been corrected.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman I am a firm believer in the "system" of checks and balances.

I write the checks (post the WRU) and you readers keep it in balance (let me know when things are wrong!).

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
MattH. said:
The Dumbo review can be found here.
Looks like Toys'R'Us may have the best price at the B&M stores with $19.99 less the DMR coupon bringing it to $14.99 plus tax. If you're after both it and Spooky Buddies, you might want to try price matching at Target for Dumbo; then you would also save the $8 for buying both bringing the cost to $24.98 plus tax after also using the $5 coupons from DMR for both films.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bridesmaids was funny but I'll wait for a Price Drop, same with Spartacus, good series but only 6 episodes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toys R Us also has in-store coupons for discounts on Cars 2 and The Lion King if you pre-order when buying any other Disney movie. Not sure what their deals on those will be, though. Anyone know of a Disney Store offer on any of these? They sometimes have interesting coupons and/ or bonus tchotchkes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
TRU is a big CF if you try to to pre-order a title like the Lion King BD and have the $8 discount go towards a sale priced item like the Dumbo BD.

In my case the $8 discount got pulled from the non-sale price of $29.99, and then the computer pulled $2.00 from somewhere to make the total discount on Dumbo the $19.99 sale price.

When I went to sort things out, there was basically a "difference in interpretation" of where the $8 was supposed to come from. The clerk's take was it was going to come from the Lion King BD, though it reads quite differently on the actual card.

I wound up just asking for a refund of the $5 pre-order deposit, rather than have to go back in two weeks and go through the whole thing again with someone with a totally different "interpretation." That even proved difficult as the system wouldn't accept the return of a pre-sale item.

The clerk said he had just spent an hour going through something similar with another customer. The lady who was trying to help me at first (but wasn't doing a very good job) needs to brush up on her reading comprehension skills.

I'm not sure why I went for the Lion King. It has never been a Disney film I particularly enjoyed. We do crazy stuff to save a couple bucks sometimes...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Doesn't TRU usually have these Disney preorder deals programmed into their system rather than leave it upto the clerk/cashier's intepretation? That was my experience in the past.

Sounds like the $8 preorder promo discount should be deducted from the sale price of Dumbo, no?

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, the deal says get $8 off a second Blu-ray priced $19.99 and higher when pre-ordering the Lion King Blu-ray.

The root of the problem was the computer wasn't programmed correctly, leaving it to the clerks to try to figure out what happened (and also get it wrong). So it wound up being one of those classic scenarios where the over-reliance on a machine to tell us what to do suspends all ability to use our brains.

EDIT: Folks at DVDTalk are having similar experiences. Looks like the system is set to discount from the regular price, and then grant the most favorable price, which explains why the final discount on Dumbo wound up being $19.99 instead of $21.99 (the $8 discount essentially was voided in favor of the current sale price, but this was reflected on the receipt as both an $8 and $2 discount). I think it would have involved fewer mental gymnastics and confusion if they'd just said you can't apply the discount to the sale price and let the customer figure out what's the better deal. But then I guess that means they wouldn't be getting as many Lion King pre-orders (which they didn't anyway in my case).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks