What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-2-2010 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I try to be reasonable about how much I'll save with a trip to another store. All the stores in the RoundUp have the stripped-down BD of 2012 for $19.99.

I also know I probably won't get to spin the disc until the weekend and that I will be back out tomorrow night...and probably near a Target. It's worth a $5 savings.

If I can help you out with a Babylon 5 set, Jason...LMK.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Mike. Just for S's and G's, I checked Amazon for B5 stuff. Turns out they have all the seasons in the new packaging for $23.99 along with Crusade and the Movie Collection for the same price. The Lost Tales also cheaper at Amazon, after factoring in tax. Legend of the Rangers, however, is a better buy at BB.

Still wish Amazon would match that BB price on The Flash...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Then, I've been to 2 different Best Buy's to grab the complete series of The Flash for $14.99 but neither had it. Earlier today, BB.com said one of them had at least one copy in stock. Now? The six closest stores to me apparently all have them.

Unless I am looking for specific promo packaging I just buy online and do the in store pickup option, otherwise I can never find anything on my list.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by TonyTone

Update/FWIW--the digital copy is on its own disc, and includes separate unlock codes for PC/Mac and for PSP. Side note--code must be redeemed by 3/2/11...wouldn't it be funny if instead of that date, the expiration date was 12/21/12? LOL!!!
Is this true of all Sony titles or just this one?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Unless I am looking for specific promo packaging I just buy online and do the in store pickup option, otherwise I can never find anything on my list.
On Sunday, no one had The Flash. On Monday, one store did. All day yesterday they went out of stock again. Last night, everyone seemed to have the thing. It was very odd to me.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Count me in for the bummed group this week. I wanted to pick up all 3 seasons of Star Trek: TOS on BD at $39.99, but I wanted to order them from Amazon. Amazon matched BB's $39.99 price on Season 2, so I thought it was only a matter of time before they would drop the price on S1 & S3 as well. Wrong! Not only did they not drop the prices, but they bumped the price on S2 back-up.

Amazon's pricing is now:
  • Season 1 $55.49
  • Season 2 $51.99
  • Season 3 $51.99
And now that I've waited, only S1 is available at the area Best Buy stores, and S1 & S2 are backordered at BB.com.

Doh!

For this week's releases I'm going to buy 2012 on BD - probably from Target, and I've got Ponyo on hold at Redbox.

Thanks as always for the WRU Mike & Patrick!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
My Costco had the 2-disc Blue of 2012 for $19.99. They have out the thick cardboard cards that you have to take to the register, and then pick up the movie from the merchandise pick up window. I thought it showed the single disc on the cardboard card, but when I picked it up at the window, they gave me the two-disc edition. The actual box had a $19.99 price sticker on it, so I don't think it was an error.

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I'll be heading to Target (tomorrow, I hope).
/forum/thread/298519/weekly-roundup-3-2-2010/30#post_3666270

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper

My Costco had the 2-disc Blue of 2012 for $19.99. They have out the thick cardboard cards that you have to take to the register, and then pick up the movie from the merchandise pick up window. I thought it showed the single disc on the cardboard card, but when I picked it up at the window, they gave me the two-disc edition. The actual box had a $19.99 price sticker on it, so I don't think it was an error.
FWIW--Costco's online price for 2012 2-disc SE BD is $26.99...and yes I realize that a store's online price doesn't necessarily match that of its B&M price. Perhaps Costco decided to have a "sale" on the 2012 BD; given past experience, it's not uncommon to find that Costco's prices on new-release DVD and BD movies aren't usually the lowest when compared to Target/BB/et al., so it would seem somewhat surprising that Costco apparently has the lowest price on the 2-disc SE BD. Wonder if someone fat-fingered the price when entering the SKU for the BD version into their system--that $19.99 price would seem more appropriate for Costco to charge for the DVD version (which BTW Costco lists for $18.99 online).

Dunno if Costco is carrying the one-disc BD version (in their B&M stores) but the only two versions of the movie listed on their website are the DVD and the 2-disc SE BD ones (SKU for BD is 504230).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
When I was in Costco yesterday, I purposely flipped the card over to see what they listed as extras. It had an alternate ending, PiP, Roland's Vision, Commentary and Movie IQ listed. I assumed that was the single disc and didn't bother. Maybe I'll go back this weekend...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bill Thomann

Thanks for the Roundup. Just Ponyo for me (combo pack with the $10 coupon).
Thanks for the tip off on the coupon. Just picked up the Ponyo combo pack at Walmart for $14.96.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyTone

Also worth noting--the Target "special edition" BD does not come in any special packaging (well at least the copy I picked up at my local Target didn't give any indication on the packaging/cover that the Discovery Channel special was included) indicating the inclusion of the Discovery Channel special (front cover says "Two-Disc Special Edition" just like the non-Target BD 2-disc special editions), which is on a separate BD disc found on the back side of the front cover...so for those of you looking to buy the Target version, make sure you pick up the right one.
Ended up @ Target tonight. I picked up the 2-disc (actually 3-disc) SE BD of 2012. The copies in my Target had an EXCLUSIVE cardboard sleeve. On the front of the sleeve was a Red & White Target sticker which detailed the EXCLUSIVE Discovery Channel special 2012 Apocalypse. On the top of the cardboard sleeve is a banner which says "Special Edition 3 Disc Blu-ray." Across the top of the back of the cardboard sleeve is a bright red banner which says "Bonus Disc includes: Discovery Channel's 2012 Apocalypse. Investigate plausible planetary disasters and whether or not they determine if the end of life on Earth really is lurking just around the corner!"

The discs do come in a slightly thicker case. the actual cover art must be ame as the standard 2-disc SE as the banner across the top of the cover art says "Two-Disc Special Edition."

I'm really looking forward to giving this a spin this weekend with my 19-year old son. Neither one of us has seen it yet.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
The Target BD 2012 exclusive is actually a 4-disc, if you count the digital copy.

What surprised me was the disc with the Discovery Channel doc is an actual Blu-ray and not a DVD.

My Target had a bunch of single-disc versions in those locking plastic cases, and 2 two-disc copies and 2 of the store exclusives not in locking cases, for some weird reason.

If you can't find one in your Target, try their Web site. As of last night, you could order the store exclusive for 22.99 plus 3 bucks for shipping. Might be cheaper than driving around town and wasting gas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MarkBirds )

I had figured, since the cardboard sleeve said 3-disc, that the configuration would have looked something like this:

Disc #1 Movie + all features (more than what was on the single disc BD)
Disc #2 Digital copy
Disc #3 Discovery Channel Doc

Mark's explanation makes things clear now because it made no sense that there would be two different BD Disc #1s for the different SKUs. THAT would have been way too confusing. Target has kind of muddled this one by not including the Digital Copy in their disc count, I guess. Or, maybe, it's Sony who seems to have not counted the digital disc as part of the package since they have the big "Two Disc Special Edition banner across the top of the case containing three discs. Confusing.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

Ended up @ Target tonight. I picked up the 2-disc (actually 3-disc) SE BD of 2012. The copies in my Target had an [b]EXCLUSIVE [/b]cardboard sleeve. On the front of the sleeve was a Red & White Target sticker which detailed the EXCLUSIVE Discovery Channel special 2012 Apocalypse. On the top of the cardboard sleeve is a banner which says "[b]Special Edition 3 Disc Blu-ray[/b]." Across the top of the back of the cardboard sleeve is a bright red banner which says "[i][b]Bonus Disc includes: Discovery Channel's 2012 Apocalypse. Investigate plausible planetary disasters and whether or not they determine if the end of life on Earth really is lurking just around the corner![/b][/i]"

The discs do come in a slightly thicker case. the actual cover art must be ame as the standard 2-disc SE as the banner across the top of the cover art says "[b]Two-Disc Special Edition[/b]."

I'm really looking forward to giving this a spin this weekend with my 19-year old son. Neither one of us has seen it yet.
[/QUOTE]Mike--I'm guessing that what happened in my case is that when I got there at 8 am, the clerks hadn't even yet taken the cases out of their shipping box, let alone stock them on the shelves; perhaps the cardboard sleeves were shipped in a separate box? I was actually worried that I had been given the wrong one since w/o the cardboard sleeve there is no easy way to visually determine if you got the Target-exclusive version w/o opening the case to see if the DC disc was included but it was all good in the end.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MarkBirds

What surprised me was the disc with the Discovery Channel doc is an actual Blu-ray and not a DVD.
I was just going to ask that. Worth a trip, then.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There's been some reports on DVD Talk that some Targets have been removing the cardboard slipcases so that the discs will fit in the locking plastic security sleeves. Of course once you take the slipcase off, there's no indication that you're getting the Target exclusive 4 disc edition.

MikeDE

Second Unit
At Target, some 2012 two-discs were in the cardboard sleeves in the plastic case, some were two-discs without the sleeve. The sales clerks assured me the Discovery disc was in them all. I picked up one with the sleeve (which they ripped up taking off the case), but of course, there wasn't the Discovery doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks