What's new

watching an divx or avi on tv (1 Viewer)

paul_austin

Second Unit
I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd try here first. I'm trying to watch videos on my TV hooked up to my PC. Im using a SVHS cable and I can see my desktop, but when I try to play a video all I get on the TV is the media player window and no video in the window, but the desktop is till there. No sound either but one thing at a time. I'm using optical cable for the sound.

WaterEC

Agent
It's not unusual for computers not able to handle videos simultaneously on two monitors, still picture is much easier and less demanding. This depends on your video card. If you only want to watch video on your TV, just set the display output to your TV only, not on both TV and computer monitor. This way you will see video on TV.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Paul,

You have to make the TV as your main 'monitor'. As for sound, you need to connect that to your receiver. Jeff's idea is not bad either...

-rommel-

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I suggest turning off "overlay" mode on your video card. In the overlay mode, the video decoding is (essentially) done in the video output section rather than in the computer itself, so the only component which "knows" what is there is the monitor — to everything else it's just a black square. You can't take a screenshot of it, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks