What's new

Warners announce Bette Davis Collection (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't really see why anyone's complaining... if you have the previously released discs, don't buy this!

Or you can easily sell them off individually and save money by purchasing this set at an excellent price.

Personally, I'm thrilled that this is coming out! I haven't bought any of the previous discs because I refuse to buy snapper titles, but even if I had, they'd be listed on Ebay as soon as this was announced, if only to replace the awful packaging.

It bothers me to see people complaining about this, when it's clear to me that Warners is putting this together to ahere to all of us. I'm sure sales were decent enough on the current issues of these discs that they could have easily saved the money instead of repackaging, but how many times have we asked WB to consider repackaging their older snap case releases?

Here they not only go out of their way to do just that, but offer them all up in a beautifully and conveniently designed box-set for us collectors, and this is our response... "I already have some of these movies!"??

If that's the case and you previously owned these discs, you have a few obvious options... where prior, you had none.

On behalf of all of us who have been politely requesting that WB revisit some of their older snap case releases, I thank you!

I really see no room for complaints here, it's not as if the studio is STILL releasing current/new DVD's in such a format and than repackaging them a few months later. It's an option for people who have either held off on purchasing these, or are enthusiastic enough to consider rebuying due to the context of the release. Let's all take a moment to remember that the industry does not revolve solely around your personal and individual objectivity.

THANK YOU WARNER BROTHERS!!!

I hope you continue this trend with your older snapper titles, so that I can add many more classics to my collection!

To the critical voices: let those of us who have been requesting this for years, have our moment! Again, you have very clear options in such circumstances. We've had none.

This shouldn't deter anyone from any individual upcoming Warner Bros. purchases as this is clearly only relative to previous catalogue issues. I think it would be fairly discernable which titles might be considered for similair packagings, and at such bargain prices... I don't see how anyone could possibly object - you're basically getting the titles you already own almost for free! You'll MAKE money by selling your older copies, plus you're getting the upper hand with wonderful keepcase packaging and an elegant and conveniently designed box to house the discs!

I'm just astonished that with the above said, anyone could actually object to this.

If you're not avid enough a collector to be concerned with packaging... what are you even doing in this thread?? These discs are all available individually as well.

:rolleyes

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I guess we can't agree on everything which is why this forum is so great because it offers a variety of opinion. As I stated beforehand, WHV is a big boy, they can handle some criticism. However, if the criticism becomes a form of constant whining then it becomes annoying to me and to other members.

Crawdaddy

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely steering clear of any snappers now, as I think most of the snappers in the Warner catalog will be converted.

As has been mentioned, I think the idea surrounding this set is to only include films wherein Davis' gives an Oscar-nominated performance. Leaving out something like "The Letter" (even though it has been recently released) wouldn't work because in doing so you'd omit what many believe is one of Davis' two or three best performances. I'm sure we'll be seeing more Davis in the future, but this set's not a bad start. BTW, Vincent Sherman is doing commentary on "Damned Don't Cry" for the Crawford set; George Feltenstein mentions in a recent interview Sherman also provided commentary for "Mr. Skeffington," but I don't see it on the DVDTimes info for the Davis set- does anyone know if the "Skeffington" DVD will have Sherman's commentary? I guess this will probably be my question for the upcoming Warner chat.

To avoid the scenario wherein you're forced to re-purchase a title due to a subsequent box set, I'd suggest waiting a while before buying any single releases. During the past year, I've started to buy the bulk of my DVDs (box sets and singles) during the bi-annual DDD sales. Therefore, I'm usually waiting about six months between buying periods for most of my DVDs (of course, I still pick up a few titles- "Laura," "Bambi"- I just can't wait months to own). This is starting to pay an unexpected dividend, as I want a title like "The Letter," but put it on my wish list for the next DDD sale. It does appear Warner plans to continue with these wonderful box sets, so if a single disc comes out (especially one featuring a big star) you might want to hold off on purchasing.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Not being that bothered about the packaging, I find this as some sort of half baked set. I'm happy to see MR SKEFFINGTON and THE STAR, and will be quite happy buying them. They have some nice extra features, and despite the Oscar nomination, THE STAR is far from being one of BD's big titles, and to me unlikely to be release any time soon.

But if DARK VICTORY has indeed being remastered, why not include some special features? Why re-release such title as a barebone yet again? Surely this is a A-list title which has guarantees in the market.

On the repeats, even considering that they only chose oscar nomination performances why repeat THE LETTER which has come out only 2 months ago when a remastered and perhaps 2-disc edition of JEZEBEL would have pleased much more, or DANGEROUS which hasn't been released yet. I could argue the same for NOW, VOYAGER but I understand people's dislike of snappers and wish of having them replaced.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Up to this point I've been very happy with the Box sets from WB that I've purchased. I'm disappointed in this one to a degree in view of the response I received from WB at the "only chat" that I've been able to ask a question at. This set should have had more of Bette's films & not included "The Letter". I don't really mind a remastered "Dark Victory". I would have like to have seen the films from the M-G-M LD set represented in the box. Will we get other Davis sets? Or is this the "one shot"? Are we "only" going to get single releases from now on & what kind of a schedule will these Davis DVDs be on? Unfortunately I won't be able to ask WB at the chat(assuming I got the chance) since I work during this time it is going to be held. Hopefully this info will come to light thru someone else's questions.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Just out of curiosity – does anyone know how come Warner has the rights to The Star – a 20th-Century Fox production?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Every once in a while, a studio will acquire the rights to a certain film from another studio in exchange for the rights to another film. This can occur when studio "A" wants to film a remake of previously made film from studio "B".

Edit: Also, even though the film was distributed by 20th Century Fox, the actual ownership of the film might belong to somebody else like the production company that made the film.

Crawdaddy

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Letter was one of the winners of Warner's Decision 2005 where readers picked which 5 films we wanted released in January 2005. If it had lost, it would have been released for the first time as part of this box set. Therefore I don't think it is fair to complain that the The Letter was just released and now is going to be released again as part of this set.

The same could have been said about "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" which will be released as part of the Controversial Films Box set. That was also part of one the the Decision contests and lost. If it had won there would be the same type of complaints as with The Letter

Perhaps in the future Warner could mention that certain winners of its Decision contests will be part of a box set later in the year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Now, that's a simple solution to this problem, once they determine the means for such communication.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE STAR was an independent, relatively low budget film produced by Bert Friedlob and originally distributed by Fox. The video rights were sold to Warners who distributed the VHS version. (Joan Crawford was originally considered for the lead.)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

And I suspect that’s why you’re not complaining.

I don’t think anyone here is truly complaining, there has merely been some discussion and feedback as to why certain members are disappointed with WB’s decision to not only include titles that have already been released but recently released. WB has been doing an outstanding job – without question.

Not really sure if there’s any room for disappointment here, but am I the only one who thinks it’s ironic that those who have supported WB by buying all of their classic titles when they were initially released – and from day one I may add, are unable to take advantage of boxed set pricing? Sure, with the current prices of these boxes, we could give away a disc or only buy certain discs (which would no doubt be costlier in the long run), but the ultimate added benefit would be to have extra films added to our libraries while taking advantage of these sets. So in that respect, Robert's decision to potentially wait now until boxed sets are announced, is a logical one.

Let’s face it. If we hadn’t have purchased these classics upon their initial release over the last 7+ years, would we be seeing the type of classic releases that we are today…? Surely, WB wouldn’t want their loyal fans to suspend their purchases on the off chance that all of their favorites may wind up in a box several months down the road for half the price.

If it’s an Oscar box, label it as such. If it’s a definitive box, then I would understand the need for it to include her best works – no question. Clearly, everyone understands why the James Dean box will include Giant. But in this case, there were many many titles that could have been included but weren’t. I just see this as a missed opportunity.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'll stick to box sets over individual releases from now on-cheaper. I wouldn't mind the chance to upgrade the snappers. Lots of the ones I bought had industrial tape sealing the edges and, try as I might to be gentle, removing it took a bit of the printed surface off the cardboard. As for content, what about Of Human Bondage? Davis did it at RKO-put her on the map so to speak. WB remade it with Eleanor Parker in 1946. MGM did it with Kim Novak in 1964. The Davis version is public domain (only in bad condition on DVD as far as I know) but who really owns it? In his A Star Is Born book Ron Haver says he found a "pristine 35mm print" while he was searching the WB vaults in 1983/84. Could "a pristine 35mm print" be used to make a good DVD? Otherwise I'd like to see Marked Woman in a Davis collection.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

To my mind, this is the biggest mistake WB made on this front. If they knew there was a Bette box coming in the first half of the year, The Letter should never have been made part of the poll without letting people know about the later boxset that's coming. They even could have put a coupon in the single release good for $x off the purchase of the boxset that would make it a little more palatable for those who didn't want to risk waiting for a "potential" boxset release.

I hate to see people unhappy over this, because Warner Bros. DVDs and boxsets should be a reason for rejoicing. But I'm sure, as Robert Crawford said, that WB can stand a little criticism on the boards, and in the upcoming chat. I feel kind of guilty saying it, but I won't be one of the ones criticising them on this point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Neither will I, my question will be geared towards what they haven't announced yet for 2005 and 2006.:)

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

And frankly, I am pleasantly surprised to hear so much unusual criticism of Warner for a change. It's not a big blunder or anything they've made here, but I must admit I had believed up till now that everything was always automatically "pro Warner, pro Warner". It's very refreshing to hear people say they're not one hundred percent thrilled with a box set, or something WB is doing.
I still think Warner is the greatest company myself, but there's always room for constructive criticism if need be.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Star may be part of the Castle Hill library Warner Bros. distributes on DVD. Other titles in this group include Stagecoach, Foreign Correspondent, and A Face in the Crowd.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Thanks for all the comments on ownership of The Star. Certainly Halliwell's lists it as TCF and not Castle Hill. Although it doesn't seem to have been acquired as part of an exchange, it's interesting to know about this practice – I knew studios bought rights to the originals of films they wanted to remake (hence Warners' ownership of the Paramount Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and the Universal Show Boat), but wasn't aware of exchanges ever entering into it.

A list of non-WB/RKO/MGM titles Warners own would be really useful if anyone knows of one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As verification to earlier posts in this thread, I will be able to buy the Bette Davis boxset cheaper than buying the three titles separately that I want without buying "The Letter" and "Now Voyager" again.
Bette Davis Collection

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
So, Dark Victory did get into a restoration process to be released as part of the box set, didn't it? It isn't just the old version without the snappers, right?
If this is true, then I am very glad to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks