What's new

Kid Galahad-Where will this title fit in Warner's 85th Celebration ? (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
No one has mentioned the inclusion of the Edward Robinson/Bette Davis/Humphrey Bogart title Kid Galahad on the partial list of the 50 restored Warner titles for this year's 85th Celebration. What themed box set will this go in ? Possibly an E G Robinson set or another Bogart or another Gangster box ? Since we are already getting a Bette Davis Set and another Gangster set is coming soon, it probably portends a first Robinson set or maybe another Bogart. Some of the other restored titles already fit in to the Crawford/Davis/Gangster/Sinatra/Forbidden Hollywood sets that have been announced. Virginia City and San Antonio will go into the Flynn Westerns. Thank Your Lucky Stars into a musical set in the 3rd quarter with maybe another Busby Berkeley set for Gold Diggers of 1937. Pete Kelly Blues may go in a widescreen promotion with Moonfleet mentioned in last year's CHAT. The Beast With Five Fingers will go into the horror/Peter Lorre/Boris Karloff sets and Inside Daisy Clover into the Natalie Wood collection. What ideas do other HTF members have ?

FrankXS

Second Unit
I thought by throwing out the 1937 title of Kid Galahad from the list of 50+ Warner titles to be brought out this year....someone would have had some thoughts as to how Warners would package this title. A great Edward G. Robinson title later remade by Elvis Presley. Doesn't someone have a suggestion for an Edward G. Robinson box or a themed box for this title ?

Charles H

Screenwriter
TWO SECONDS (which I understand was prepped for dvd a couple of years ago), DR. EHRLICH'S MAGIC BULLET, OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES, TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN, FIVE STAR FINAL, SILVER DOLLAR, KID GALAHAD. Oddly enough, when KID GALAHAD came out on VHS, it was part of a Bette Davis promo. If HELL ON FRISCO BAY could be cleared by Alan Ladd's company, it would make a nice representation of Robinson as a CinemaScoped gangster in the 50s.
MGM/UA should release VICE SQUAD, NIGHTMARE, and BLACK TUESDAY (the latter may be owned by VCI) and it would be great if they had access to a non-pd THE RED HOUSE. Also ACTORS AND SIN?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A lot depends on how many Robinson boxsets Warner will release in the future. Anyway, the following boxset would be great if only one boxset is release which I hope isn't the case.
  • Five Star Final
  • The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse
  • Larceny, Inc.
  • The Sea Wolf
  • Manpower
  • Kid Galahad

Again, I have other titles I would consider, but if there is only one boxset then the above would be my all-star selection for Edward G.

Crawdaddy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Now we know. What a pleasant surprise it is to get a 4th Gangster volume just 6 months after the 3rd one !

-D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, we can scratch off "The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, Larcen, Inc. and Kid Galahad.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter
An Edward G. Robinson set should have:

-Two Seconds
-Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet
-Our Vines Have Tender Grapes
-Manpower
-I Loved A Woman
-The Sea Wolf

Corey

Screenwriter

Robert, I didn't include it, lol. Warner had the trailer for I Loved A Woman in Bette Davis Vol 3, so that tells me that it's probably coming.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great news . Its included in Warner Gangsters Vol. 4

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...olume-4-a.html

Kid Galahad (1937)
This influential ring saga dramatically links professional boxing to criminal gambling. Edward G. Robinson is racketeer/fight promoter Nick Donati and tightly coiled Humphrey Bogart is Turkey Morgan. They’re rival promoters who, like fighters flinging kidney punches, end up swapping close-range bullets. Bette Davis plays the moll who has a soft spot for the bellhop (Wayne Morris) that Nick is grooming for the heavyweight title. And prolific Michael Curtiz directs this first of his six collaborations with Bogart that would include the romantic masterwork Casablanca and the sly comedy We’re No Angels.

Special Features:
· Commentary by Art Simon and Robert Sklar
· It’s Love I’m After theatrical trailer
· Vintage newsreel
· WB Shorts: Alibi Mark and Postal Union
· WB Cartoons:
o Egghead Rides Again
o I Wanna Be a Sailor
o Porky’s Super Service
· Theatrical trailer

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Nothing special really. Just that it was mentioned as a title that would be released by Warner this year as a part of their 85th anniversary celebration. Given that a Gangster box set was already released in March it was not clear what kind of collection this particular title (a gangster picture starring Edward G. Robinson) was going to be a part of. Some speculated that Warner was working on a Edward G. Robinson set but as it turns out Warner had a second Gangster set in the pipeline which they will be releasing in September.

-D

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I have to disagree. Any movie with Bette Davis, Edward G Robinson, and Humphrey Bogart is anything but nothing special.

Trivia: It was remade as an Elvis picture. Because of this the film's name was changed to the "Battling Bellhop" on TV for many years.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

I was not commenting on the merits of the film but just why there was a discussion dedicated to it - the reason for that is because Warner mentioned it in their 85th anniversary plans and gave no indication what kind of boxset it would be a part of.

Anyway I can't argue that any film with Bette Davis, Edward G. Robinson or Humphrey Bogart is worth watching and this film has all three of them !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks