What's new

Want to know a typical audio equipment sales margin? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I just picked up a Rotel RMB-1095 4 weeks ago for $1500CDN. Its retail is $3000CDN. The salesman who I've dealt with through all my HT purchase told me I got it for 18% below cost(~$1700CDN).

Kevin

RickMac

Auditioning
Hi all,
Seems like people are interested in other retail business' margins. I worked in sporting goods for years and margins vary according to the type of product you're selling.

Clothing and shoes, at full price, are usually a 50% (keystone) markup. Accessories for bikes, skiing, etc. can be up to 60%. Tennis racquets, skis, bikes and other "hardgoods" can vary from as low as 25% (high-end product) up to 50% (lower-end package stuff) if you're in a big buying consortium and benefiting from numbers. It stands to reason, like audio cables, that you make a lot of your money on clothing and accessories. Add-on sales like helmets, gloves, clothing, goggles, etc. are what keep higher-end sporting stores going. It's not the bikes and skis, necessarily. Like someone said, you don't see those $3000.00 racing bikes flying out of the store, but you can sell the crap out of tools, tires, shorts, lights, and helmets.

Overall, the reported margins in audio aren't at all surprising to me.

Later,
RickMac

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Lee - perhaps you could help me on a issue I have been trying to research.

Back in the 80' I setup a automated-CD burning system for my company. At that time, each blank CD cost $13 each (yes, that's per-disk). In calling around to find a better price, I learned that there was a special tax on blank media. Almost a full $1 of that price went to the recording industry. They went to Congress and claimed that blank CD's would allow piracy. To offset this, a special tax was created that went to the recording industry to compensate them.

Does that special tax still exist on blank media?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It is absolutely impossible for interaction between Lee and John to be anything but adversarial.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bob- The tax still exists, on music CD-R's and CD-RW's. If you use computer blanks (which will work in professional machines), no tax.

Same thing for DAT's.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
To offset this, a special tax was created that went to the recording industry to compensate them.
I do believe it still exists. Has not stopped the copying though. I wonder about the fairness of special industry taxes - it honestly seems un-American to me.

As someone said in a Rolling Stone article recently, technology will always be faster than lawyers. ;)

The recording industry is run by a bunch of duufuses...they need to embrace the technology change and offer things like Apple is doing so they can benefit. They could also try to protect their content by going to hirez (which will eventually be broken but maybe not for some time).

Look, they brought this on themselves by not offering a fairly priced content-oriented product.

Oops, I guess this is another thread...:)

TomH

Second Unit
Just pay your tax and margin. I know we all would hate to see Britney give up the $7000.00 a night hotel rooms!

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
what i'd like to know is how they can dare charge $4.99 for a 10pack of carnation instant breakfast (used to be $2.99 cpl yrs ago) or $6.99 for a box of Cinammon toast crunch????

why does everyone just not get up and say NO? let's start first with RIAA.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
which is why those little articles in Consumer Reports are so interesting when they tell you that Company X has reduced the size of their product from 3.2 to 2.9 oz and kept the price the same. Now what's all this crap about ice cream going from 1/2 gallon to 1 3/4 quarts? and when are we gonna see coffee back in 1 pound cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks