Want to know a typical audio equipment sales margin?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lee Scoggins, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Then check here for a clue from Tag McLaren Audio which is ceasing business:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18448214

An improved sales margin of 41.5% will be applied...

I worked about ten years ago at a prominent high end salon and we typically saw audio margins around 40% and around 20%-30% on video equipment.

These margins are not uncommon on such electronic products but I thought people might want to know.

[​IMG]

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,

And out of that margin the dealer must pay for:
    • A showroom
    • All building expenses (ie utilities)
    • A staff
    • Himself

and lots of other items I haven't even bothered to list here.

Yes, that's a "high" margin -- except that there's substantial overhead.

You're looking at the Gross profit at a transaction level, what do you suppose the retailer's Net profit is from that transaction? 5%? That could easily be since $4k and up processors don't exactly fly off the shelves.

Regards,

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,

Your subject and the post had a negative tone to it, whether you choose to believe so or not.

5. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

40% margin for a B&M sounds about right to me. I know a person who runs an audio store and he certainly isn't rich, as his overhead eats most of his gross.

As for CD's, I have much less of sympathy when it comes to paying 15-20 dollars for a CD. I agree, they are a horrible value for what you get. A DVD costs about the same, and for my money, they are a very good value. A 2-3hr movie, with lots of extra's usually makes for a good deal even if the movie isn't great. I can't say the same for a cd.

I purchase my music these days on DVD-Audio and SACD. I'm planning on getting an iPod and using iTunes for just casual stuff. I hope Apple expands their catalog.

DT

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I liked hearing the information. Baby formulas from Similac and others have a profit margin to the manufacturer of over 90%, those cereal bars are around 40% or so. Interestingly McDonalds come close to breaking even (very slight profit) on their food. The profits are in the drinks.
    Yes margins can be tight especially in a difficult economy. 'Course the dealers can always sell wires. Now there's profits!
    Now scary would be if ML and TM merged.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I'll tell you where the profits are......BEER!
    These bars and restaurants around here buy local microbrew in kegs. Their cost approx .60 a pint and sell for $4.00 -$4.75 a pint. What's that??? 700% markup?!?!
    Then they pay the waitresses minimum wage and expect us to make up the difference in tips so we end up paying $5-$6 a pint.....sheesh! [​IMG]

12. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Thanks for the info Lee,just something to think about.I didnt take it as a slam or sob story,just info.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I also didn't take it as a chop, just some food for digestion. It's good to know how industries operate and hopefully it allows for the consumer to do some knowledgeable bargaining. Kind of like knowing what a car dealer invoice, kickbacks, incentives are. I like the playing field leveled a bit.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Coincidentally, I heard last night at a hockey game (!) that the difference in cost to the manufacturer vs what a unit sells for, is on the order of 2 to 3x. I can believe that too, because I heard once that the typical markup for diamonds (and jewelry) was 5x!

40% seems about right, in that when I walk in the door to a retail place, I almost expect to be able to get 20% off without trying very hard.

But I also have a suspicion that a higher retial price means more mark up too. I have heard of some very good deals for Lexicon's, and another data point is Revel F30 speakers that list for $3500 going for $2500 brand new.

But I bet Frys/Best Buy/whatever actually *don't* make much money on those $99 Pioneer, Sony, & Panasonic DVD players...

Pisses me off all the more when a dealer won't budge from the retail price. [​IMG]

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the post, Lee. I like to hear about this kind of stuff. The more we know... And BTW, I'm having a great day [​IMG]

17. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Lee, nice post it's always nice to know the markup on things. As for myself I was in the grocery business for years so don't get me started on profits & markeup's because the supermarket business is the REAL whore business [​IMG]

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

20. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I can definately vouch for the high margin, when I purchased my gear I went through a friend who worked for Good Guys at anyrate he owed me a favor so he got all my stuff at store cost. Needless to say I got a Yamaha RX-V730 which at the time retailed for 599.99 for 317.00, and my Energy Take 5+1's which retailed for around 699.99 for 297.00, and lets not get into what I got my cabling for through him[​IMG] So I can definatelly attest to there being high margin, at the time I could have got an RX-V1 for $800 and a RX-Z1 for not much more it was insane. I wish he still worked there (no I'm not why he's no longer there he just moved on to better things) so I could get my Energy Connosiours.[​IMG]