What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 (2 Viewers)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the boxset of wave 1 and 2 was a costco release, and there were also promotions at a couple points to get them through the Disney video club. Not sure what the status of these are though. Still, I'd be really surprised if these aren't made available again in some form-there's too much money to be made to keep them from people.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, Wave 4 has such crappy tins in comparison to the other Waves that what's the point in even keeping them?

Seriously, I love the content, but the cheapness in the tins - not even printing the backside description anymore on the tin itself - is pathetic. :thumbsdown:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I've heard rumors that the Costco discs were not extra pressings, that they were simply repackaged returns from distributors. Considering how easily damaged these tins are, I can imagine a lot of returns.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree, Russell. I picked up all three yesterday, but for some reason, I began watching this one first (the nostalgia factor, perhaps?) That initial Monday episode is pretty amazing! After a nearly 3 minute long! animated show open and sponsor credit, we go directly into a 5 minute plus Mickey Mouse Newsreel. It is a good ten minutes into the program before the Mouseketeers are ever seen on camera! No one would dare launch a TV show like this today.

Now, a couple of questions...

I know these are one hour episodes, but the first show clocks in at a bit over 46 minutes in total. Are these episodes in any way editied? Back in the mid-Fifties, wouldn't it be uncommon for a 60 minute show to have 14 minutes of commercials?

Also, does anyone know the location of the Easter Eggs on these discs? I skimmed through all six discs, but did not see any. Did they do away with them this time around?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I know these are one hour episodes, but the first show clocks in at a bit over 46 minutes in total. Are these episodes in any way editied? Back in the mid-Fifties, wouldn't it be uncommon for a 60 minute show to have 14 minutes of commercials?

It certainly doesn't appear to have any edits. Assuming your running time is correct, at 46 minutes, with two commercial breaks per half hour, you'd be looking at commercial breaks lasting 3.5 minutes each, not a great intrusion.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

That would be the best option, methinks, and then, to really do the job right, the offending politically incorrect footage of the black centaurs would have to be reinstated. Then that would be the last version of FANTASIA I'd ever have to buy. As is, I'm still sticking with my old laserdisc.

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I skimmed through the last 2-3 pages before replying.
When waves 1 and 2 were released, it seemed like they were available in stores for a long time until around mid summer.
Wave 3 seemed to be available for a much shorter time before being pulled.
I haven't picked up "Pluto" and "Mickey Mouse Black and White Vol II" yet and was wondering how much time I have before they'll be pulled (i.e. Disney puts them "back into the vault")
Thank you in advance

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to DVD titles that are on limited runs, I always buy them the first chance I get. Waiting never seems to make sense, especially since you won't know when it's "too late" to find the discs at your local stores, and then you'll find you're paying e*bay prices and shipping for something you could have just walked home with.

Just buy them, and then you don't have to worry about it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

At that time there would have been 4 minutes per half hour or 8 minutes for an hour prgram. That's why so many old sitcoms are butchered in syndication - they originally ran 26 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks