What's new

Velodyne SMS-1 added to my HT (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As a point of information: I've updated my web site to include a lot of material discussing my experiences and impressions of the Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System. There is a link in my signature.

In addition, we've created a new "MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA" here that we are encouraging you to use to discuss details of your own personal home theaters and its equipment if applicable. Check it out and read the "Welcome" message to see how it fits in to the entire HTF experience. Enjoy!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
OOPS! Seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit on the new MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA. The new area has not yet been opened to the general membership (only moderators can see it until it's finalized.) If you can't get to the link I posted in my previous message try again a little later.

But my HT web site is up and running.

Sorry about any confusion.

RussD

Agent
Robert,

I visited your site and see you have an m&k 350thx. I used to own a mx-200 and it was an excellent sub. What is your opinion of the 350? How does it compare to the svs sub you own?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They both have their good points. The SVS is clearly superior in the area of the lowest end. (~16Hz) The 350 seems better in the upper end of the sub 80Hz range. And the SMS-1 verified this when I saw a need to use the 350 to flatten out the 16-80Hz subwoofer curve at 63Hz. With the SMS-1 coordinating everything I now have much nicer tuned room.

Having two subs that each handle a different part of the subsonic frequency spectrum works out very well, as long as you have a convenient way to manage the equalization curve (in other words, the Velodyne SMS-1). It's almost like bi-amping the subs, or making it a 2 way system for LFE.

;)

If I was forced to have only one of the two subs I'd personally choose the SVS PC-Ultra because of the stronger low end (for maximum "wow" effect.) However, there are people who prefer the smoother response of the M&K MX350THX, although you don't get the bottom "punch" as much. I'm now able to use both of them for maximum effect and it's the best they've ever sounded since they enhance each other, if I'm making myself clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks