What's new

Velodyne's SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System: Some new information from Outlaw Audio (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A little over six months ago I first became aware of the Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System through a promotion from Outlaw Audio. Not really that familiar with what a "subwoofer management system" could do for me I tried one out based on recommendations from people whose opinions I trust. Lo and behold, I discovered that this little black box was able to extract the last bit of extra performance out of my subwoofers (An SVS PC-Ultra and an M&K THX 350) and I reported this at my HT website here which you can read to get up to speed if you have no idea what an SMS-1 is and does.

At the time I thought that it was a little bit unusual that Outlaw was selling a product from Velodyne since I was under the impression that they were competitors in the Subwoofer market. When I questioned Outlaw on this they told me that the SMS-1 was so good at what it did that it would be fruitless to try to improve on it so they made an arrangement with Velodyne to market the SMS-1 because it can help with the adjustments and performance of Subs from a wide variety of manufacturers. The only thing I found a bit lacking in the Velodyne SMS-1 package was the manual. This is not to say that it was a "bad" manual, but it was a little too dry. I got the impression that it had been written by engineers rather than by writers and, as such, didn't really convey all that the SMS-1 was capable of. Add to this the fact that it was difficult for me to explain the little black box that sits in my HT to friends with any degree of clarity.

Today I became aware of a new "companion" guide to the SMS-1 manual that has just been posted at the Outlaw Audio site HERE. This is an extremely well written free document (a little reminiscent of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) that, to me, really does a nice job in explaining what the SMS-1 is and how it works. Not only does it explain, in detail, how to use the SMS-1, but it also provides a bunch of tips and tricks to make things even easier. I know that a lot of us, myself included, like to download a manual before considering a product in order to check out its features. This is a case where the "unofficial" manual goes one step further and explains not only how to use the equipment but what and why it is. I like it so much (the guide and the SMS-1 that I'm adding a link to the Outlaw Guide on my HT website.

If you own a subwoofer or two or three, or are even thinking about getting one, and are interested in tweaking it painlessly, this guide is a nice addition and the price is certainly right.

;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I used the "built-in" version on a friend's DD-15 and found it to be quite useful and pretty effective at what it does, while managing to be pretty intuitive to use (even without reading the manual ;) ).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, Velodyne's built-in version is a very nice unit and the SMS-1 is their way of extending this technology to other subwoofers. It is my understanding that when Outlaw set out to try to duplicate what Velodyne had done (possibly as a built-in for their own Sub line?) that they decided that the SMS-1 would do the job and worked out some distribution deal with the manufacturer. In fact, if you switch to a different subwoofer down the line the SMS-1 electronics can still be used. Sort of the "separates" concept extended to speakers.

Phil Hunt

Grip
If anyone is interisted I have one for sale used it for two hours. I liked it so much I went and bought a new Velodyne Digital Drive sub
I will sell the SMS-1 for $400.00 shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks