What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
gcardu10 said:
Hello all,I've been a longtime reader of the HTF, but have not felt compelled to post anything...until now.It appears that Universal has decided to remove several of their MOD discs from Amazon and a few are already selling at outrageous prices, through third parties.To list only a few, Cobra Woman, Resurrection, Kitten With A Whip, Ruggles Of Red Gap, Shoot Out, You Gotta Stay Happy, and Tomahawk are no longer available through Amazon.Universal has been poor at communicating the addition of new offerings and now cannot be trusted to keep their current MODs available.
That sucks. As far as I know, Warner Archive has never had a title go out of print.

However, you might like to know that DVD Planet has a region-free import of Cobra Woman priced at $12.81. The reviews at Amazon UK rave about the picture quality.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/dvd/cobra-woman_2579099

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Richard Gallagher said:
As far as I know, Warner Archive has never had a title go out of print.
Ice Palace (1960) with Richard Burton and Robert Ryan is no longer available in the Warner Archives though I suspect it didn't so much go out of print as removed because of legal issues with the Ferber estate.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Thomas T said:
Ice Palace (1960) with Richard Burton and Robert Ryan is no longer available in the Warner Archives though I suspect it didn't so much go out of print as removed because of legal issues with the Ferber estate.
The guy on Warner Archive Facebook did say it was a rights issue. That movie needs to be remastered anyway and issued on a dual-layer disc next time. Too many minutes for a single-layer DVD as before.

Real Name
Joe
I'm just sensing some kind of a problem between Universal and Amazon in regards to this program. Since these are supposed to be burn on demand, how could they go OOP if that wasn't the case? That and the fact that it was so many titles in the space of a week, two at the most. And it would almost appear that 3rd party sellers knew something was afoot. If you search through the Amazon/Universal coolection, you'll find a ton of these movies have suddenly left the building. So anybody know what's going on?And of course, as I mentioned previously, The Chalk Garden has not been shipped although it carries the same delivery date in my orders. No word from Amazon.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
The Bob Hope: Thanks for the Memories Collection, which includes Cat and the Canary, along with five other pressed titles, is presently selling on Amazon for just under $30, while the stand alone MOD Vault Series of CATC is going for around $130!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Richard Gallagher said:
That sucks. As far as I know, Warner Archive has never had a title go out of print.
They have for a select few (less that 1%), but its always been do to the expiration of an 3rd party license, not just randomly going OOP. None of these Universal discs should be running into licensing problems.

Really sucks as I was planning on buying Shoot Out soon. Might have to go R2 on that one now.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I too was going to get Shoot Out one of these days. I guess that Bond film was right, tomorrow never comes.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The Bob Hope: Thanks for the Memories Collection, which includes Cat and the Canary, along with five other pressed titles, is presently selling on Amazon for just under $30, while the stand alone MOD Vault Series of CATC is going for around $130!
I discovered that last week when I was looking for Cat and the Canary. The other titles in the set are Thanks For the Memory, The Ghost Breakers, Nothing But the Truth, Road to Morocco, and The Paleface. Buying the box set was a no-brainer.

Another Universal Vault title I was looking at was Five Graves to Cairo, priced at $20.00. Then I discovered that the pressed TCM double feature of Five Graves to Cairo and A Foreign Affair is available from TCM for $25.00. Amazon has the double feature priced at $56, but it's still $25 at TCM.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Richard Gallagher said:
I discovered that last week when I was looking for Cat and the Canary. The other titles in the set are Thanks For the Memory, The Ghost Breakers, Nothing But the Truth, Road to Morocco, and The Paleface. Buying the box set was a no-brainer.
What is the picture quality of this box-set? I'd be interested in having those titles but only in high quality.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Robin9 said:
What is the picture quality of this box-set? I'd be interested in having those titles but only in high quality.
The picture quality is superior for the most part, with the exception of Ghost Breakers. For whatever reason, that came out dupey like it was from a bad VHS master. Ironically, Universal put out a standalone Ghost Breakers years before that was perfect. When I purchased my set, I held on to my standalone.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
mdnitoil said:
The picture quality is superior for the most part, with the exception of Ghost Breakers. For whatever reason, that came out dupey like it was from a bad VHS master. Ironically, Universal put out a standalone Ghost Breakers years before that was perfect. When I purchased my set, I held on to my standalone.
Thank you. I'll order this at once. That's a real bargain price.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
JoeDoakes said:
I suspect a rights issue. [NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE.]
You suspect correctly. I asked a contact at Universal about it; he says the underlying story rights have expired and renewing them is "not a priority right now." A shame, as it's one of my favorite DeMilles.

Mike S.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cadavra said:
You suspect correctly. I asked a contact at Universal about it; he says the underlying story rights have expired and renewing them is "not a priority right now." A shame, as it's one of my favorite DeMilles.

Mike S.
I have a big request. Please ask your contact at Universal to check the copyright situation with Universal's 1968 film The Hell With Heroes. The film has disappeared and there have long been rumors that the copyright has expired. Many thanks in advance.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Apparently, some of the early Universal Vault issues are no longer available. These include Ruggles of Red Gap, Death Takes a Holiday, and House of Seven Gables. Does anyone know what's going on with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks