What's new

Underworld (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
So that's the first poster ever with a woman on a ledge with the moon in the background? :)

//Ken

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
The anticipatory reactions in this thread seem to indicate that the points of appeal about this film to a mass audience are (in order) (1) the girl in slick leather and (2) the "action sequences" (vampires with guns and "martial arts"?!?!?).
I'm failing to see the problems with either of these factors. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Once I found out it was about vampires and werewolves, I wanted to see this.

BTW, I think marketing is messing this one up. You can barely hear the word lycanthrope from Kate Beckinsales' speech.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
So that's the first poster ever with a woman on a ledge with the moon in the background?
Not only that, the "hero looking over the city while perched on a ledge or gargoyle" is one of the most common poses for any urban comic book character. You see it at least once in every Batman issue :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I heard someone say this isn't getting any hype. I think I saw the commercial 5 times today for it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The marketing is awful. I never realized it was a vampire/werewolf flick until reading this thread. I thought it was about a goth gang war or something.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Chuck Mayer wrote (post #28):

That emphasizes the point I've been trying to make. "Marketing" doesn't want you, the potential ticket buyer, to know that it's supposed to be a "vampires-versus-werewolves" film. Won't sell as many tickets as a "gang-war shoot-'em-up"---or so they think. With all the gun play on view in the trailer and the quick cutting, who would necessarily know? Why would superhuman (subhuman?) "monsters" need guns and kung fu?

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I want my supernatural movies to be about the supernatural. Gun play and martial arts don't cut it. That reduces the supernatural in the film to the status of mere trapping.
Rex, I really appreciate your position. For me, Underworld looks to simply be fun eye candy - a guilty pleasure waiting to be enjoyed. I'm intrigued by the premise, and I'm a sucker for brooding, rainy action movies. Not to mention Kate Beckinsale in a black leather corset.

I'm not expecting a groundbreaking, weighty meditation on the supernatural or vampirism or lycanthropy. I'm hoping for a fun, kick-ass movie that'll entertain me.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The marketing is awful. I never realized it was a vampire/werewolf flick until reading this thread. I thought it was about a goth gang war or something.
I don't know how you missed that. Ever since the very first teaser trailer they've said it was about Vampires and Werewolves.

I read somewhere that this movie IS getting a lot of hype. I can't remember if it was one of the producers who said this but supposedly, the web page for this movie on Sony's website has been getting more hits per day than even Spider-Man did before it was released. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen.

It is at least getting hype from me. I've been telling all my friends about it.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
From the trailers, it looks like it will be just that ... "a fun, kick-ass movie that'll entertain me."

I can't wait for this one.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I can't wait for this flick! I think it looks really cool. And the soundtrack is going to rock too with the likes of A Perfect Circle, Danny Lohner (Nine Inch Nails), Maynard (Tool), Wes Borland, David Bowie, amongst others.....

:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Count me in as someone who finds the apparent confusion of others in the film's marketing as puzzling. The teaser trailer was very clear that it's a film about a war between vampires and werewolves, with Kate and Scott as the central characters.

I am interested to see if the romance has been played up by the marketing campaign. I've assumed it is a goth/supernatural Romeo and Juliet, though I won't be disappointed if the relationship is kept more muted and not as the central focus.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Not only that, the "hero looking over the city while perched on a ledge or gargoyle" is one of the most common poses for any urban comic book character. You see it at least once in every Batman issue
True, Andy--true. (I assume you're talking about that scene in the trailer.) I admit it is a bit cliche, but when she drops off the roof, lands on the ground below, and immediately starts walking away--I thought that was one of the coolest shots I'd seen in a while. Definitely one of the more memorable from the trailer. Unfortunately, the one shot they seem to be playing up is her spinning around, shooting at the floor, cutting a circle for herself to drop through. Yeah--I'm not such a big fan of that. A bit cheesy.

Andy

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Definitely one of the more memorable from the trailer. Unfortunately, the one shot they seem to be playing up is her spinning around, shooting at the floor, cutting a circle for herself to drop through. Yeah--I'm not such a big fan of that. A bit cheesy.
I just look at it as a sign to keep expectations modest, since most of the "money shots" in the trailers are things that wouldn't be any big thing in a movie like Matrix Reloaded. I'm quite looking forward to the movie but still keeping aware that it's basically a "B" movie with a first-time director.

The main reasons I want to see it are that it's got Kate Beckinsdale and I've liked her since Much Ado About Nothing and I want to see if she can cut it in an action movie, and I just like monsters a lot. Vampires and werewolves beating each other up sounds good to me in a Nocturnals kind of way (maybe the producers agree with me, since they hired Dan Brereton to do some production art for them). Perhaps if this movie turns out well, they can do a sequel and get zombies and gill-men added to the mix ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's why managing your expectations is important with movies like this. I'm looking for a good solid action film, and I think this film will deliver.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks