What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony brings all five films in the Underworld franchise together, and in 4K (many for the first time), in a new 5-disc movie collection.

Underworld (2003)

Released: 19 Sep 2003
Rated: R
Runtime: 121 min

Director: Len Wiseman
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Thriller

Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman, Michael Sheen, Shane Brolly
Writer(s): Kevin Grevioux (story), Len Wiseman (story), Danny McBride (story), Danny McBride (screenplay)

Plot: Selene, a beautiful warrior, is entrenched in a war between the vampire and werewolf races. Although she is aligned with the vampires, she falls in love with Michael, a human who is sought by werewolves for unknown reasons.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: 42

Disc Information

Studio: Sony...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be purchasing this set as I currently only own the first Underworld and Underworld Evolution the 2nd film in the franchise both on blu-ray.

295926_large (1).jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve not seen any of these movies, I think because I got the impression from the trailers that they were too depressing. The price for 5 movies is a good deal, but it would be a hell of a blind buy for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think of it as sort of like "Game of Thrones" with vampires vs. werewolves. I've never really thought much about it in any emotional context. It's mostly just vampires and werewolves vying for power over the other.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I only saw the first one, and it was basically a moderately entertaining, if generic, genre flick. It surprised the hell out of me to see it continue so long, much like the Resident Evil films.

At some point, maybe I should dig into them, but I think I'll wait until my current pile is smaller.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It was a relatively popular franchise and budgets were mostly modest for FX/action films (which I always found rather surprising considering they look pretty slick).

1652379580739.png

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
It was a relatively popular franchise and budgets were mostly modest for FX/action films (which I always found rather surprising considering they look pretty slick).

View attachment 138246
You know, the evolution of sequel-think is so interesting to me, especially with how it's evolved thanks to streaming and home video/easy access to whole franchises.

Like, one of the most fascinating things I've heard about it was Roger Corman talking in the 90s about how they had a formula that they would apply based on how much they made off the first film to account for what was then almost guaranteed to be dropping revenues with each successive film in a franchise. In the example he gave, Carnosaur, they figured out that five movies would make money, but a sixth wouldn't, so that's where they stopped the series.

But now it's so much more of a crap shoot, with most sequels expected to gross more than the original, or like the above where there doesn't seem to be a discernable pattern, or with the Fast & Furious movies or the MCU, which have completely shattered the mold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks