What's new

Ultraviolet (merged) (1 Viewer)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

No kidding. I didn't find out about Equilibrium until about two weeks before it, on a trailer the THEATER was showing since they were also going to have the flick...

Mmmmmmm, Ultraviolet. Still looks awesome.

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
www.sonypictures.com has three exclusive clips you can download to your PSP and watch (along with some Milla wallpaper for the PSP as well).

I just watched all three and the film looks great to me. I'll be there opening day!!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what this movie is about but I just saw some Hires pics and man does Milla look awesome:)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Milla sorta reminded me of Selma Blair in the trailer."

I was REALLY hoping it was Selma Blair, she's much hotter than Mila.

Brent

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
What, no links?

Milla was on the Carson Daly show late last night, wearing an unflattering outfit. The clip they showed could have been edited better, but overall it was what I expected. I will probably see it this weekend.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I need Patrick or someone to get in here and give us a heads-up review so that I can decide what to go see tonight! If ULTRAVIOLET sucks, I'm going to go see NIGHT WATCH again and get UV on DVD.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, man, would someone watch this already and let the rest of us know?

Mayer, fuck the mate, go see it now :D

--
H

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Well...none of the reviews on ROTTEN TOMATOES is positive (so far, 7 scathing ones). None of the reviewers reviewed EQUILIBRIUM as far as I could tell except for Frank Swietek, and he's no good (AND he didn't like either one).

However, two of the UV reviewers both stated in their review that they liked EQUILIBRIUM (or at least mentioned something cool about EQ), and they still hated UV. It sounds pretty dang bad.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK, let me tell you a few things about this .... movie!

Very comic booky.

Lots of sword fighting, but all quick cut stuff, VERY heavily edited to make them look more exciting.

Looks a lot like Sky Captain, lots of soft focus stuff, and lots of special effect. Too bad the effects were all poorly done.

The acting was bad, the script was bad, the CG was bad, and the action was bad.

Mila looked pretty good, but she is showing her age.

I'd rank this above Date Movie, but below Final Destination 3. At least FD3 had some great death scenes, this didn't even have that, even though hundreds of people were killed.

Brent

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If you liked Equillibrium.. you still won't like UltraViolet.

UltraViolet sets itself up in commercials to just appeal to the groups that like Equillibrium, but it just can't deliver the goods.

The script reads out as though it would be a fair SciFi Channel movie on much lesser budget. The dialogue is laughably bad, and the acting isn't much better.

But what really hurts this movie is the action. Yes, the action can be a savior in films, but here, even the cool action sequences have an effect like Nyquil; they drag and convulse and since they don't always make sense with everything else that is happening in the movie, you have to wait until they are over to get any sort of exposition as to why they just happened.

Look, I can enjoy "light" off the wall action (while not great, I found Underworld2 to be at least worth my while.. though Kate Beckinsdale helped with that) but UltraViolet may be one of the most dissappointing things I've seen in a theater in a while.

We took in a double feature yesterday, Ultra Violet & then Dave Chappelle's Block Party. Let me tell you: the action sequences in "Block Party" are better then the action sequences in Ultra Violet, and you're comparing a film with no special effect or even real action scenes to one built around them.

Instead of taking the intensity of Equilibrium, UltraViolet seems to have captured the problem that made Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions "eh" for me, overblown special effects action sequences that were, instead of intense and exciting boring and overly long.

This may be the worst film I'll see this year. It's sad that it's made by Wimmer, because outside of "A Sound of Thunder" I'm struggling to think of a SciFi film so badly made that it just looks like they had no purpose except to spend money, and somewhere along the line, someone looked at the film and said "yeah, that's it, this is a piece of s*(&"

I'm wondering if Uwe Boll could have done better with the same material.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i saw this movie last night too and it's not half the movie that Equilibrium was. Wimmer was probably going for an over-the-top action movie that was even MORE style-over-substance, and to that extent, he succeeded. there's alot more action scenes, which made the cliched, poorly scripted emotional scenes look akward.
the action itself was pretty bland and formulaic (maybe there was a couple good ones out of like 10). you would start counting how many times Jovovich would walk into a room with 5-10 guys standing there posing, waiting to take her out. then you'd wait for the scene of her walking away with all said guys lying on the floor. this happened ALOT.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"10). you would start counting how many times Jovovich would walk into a room with 5-10 guys standing there posing, waiting to take her out. then you'd wait for the scene of her walking away with all said guys lying on the floor. this happened ALOT. "

Oh yeah, LOTS of posing. Picture Blade and his typical pose after killing a bunch on bad guys, and multiply by this by 20!

Brent

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This is the worst movie I've seen in years. The opening credits were actually nice, but then it went downhill really fast. Sure, the story was horrible, the dialog was laughable, and the acting was marginal. But the effects were both overdone and cheap.

The worst thing was the action scenes. They sucked. While they looked interesting when cut down for the trailer, when shown in full, they were ridiculous. Senseless, repetitive, unimaginative, and lacking in energy. And yes, there's the posing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was as bad as most folks have made it out to be. What really kills it is the exposition of thoughts by Violet, there's just nothing all that interesting going on, and the lack of true menace and danger really sucks the life out of the action scenes, and they all start to just look like CGI exercises instead of actually progressing the story at all. I also kept asking myself, "who the hell is she posing for after she just slaughters 20 bad guys?"

It might actually be okay if you could watch it in double-time speed, that might give the appearance of something of worth was at stake, and by the time the END comes, you will have only spent 43 minutes on the film and not felt as bad wasting that hour on it.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
wow..lots of negative reviews for this one.

Milla is no Meryl Streep..we know that much. So much for Kurt Wimmer. He made one good movie and he's probably lost all his credibility with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks