Ultraviolet (merged)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chuck Mayer, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I think based on the trailer it looks kick ass and at the same time i'm not going to judge it on dialogue since you don't hear much. Diologue in trailers is out of context anyway. Entertaining is all this film has to be and if it does that then,Awesome!

2. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I just watched the HD Quicktime trailer Apple just put up. As I was watching it, I was thinking, "This looks like that gun kata movie with Christian Bale!", but I couldn't remember the name. So I guess I'm not surprised that they were made by the same guy. The picture looks like it's really filtered (like when you run a digital photo through a noise reduction program that's turned up to high), but I think I like that.

Brian

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Wow really surprised at the praise for this. Saw the trailer before Underworld and my first thought was 'lame'. Didn't even realize it was the from the same guy that did Equilibrium which I thought was alright but nothing mind blowing. I didn't even recognise Milla! Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Going to watch it again....

...still same feeling. Looks like a cross between Aeon Flux and Domino. And I can't help but think of the Matrix whenever someone uses the song "Clubbed to Death."

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Finally a high quality trailer. Here's a few screenshots-

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Notice the bullets coming out of her wrist in the last shot...not something I noticed in the crappy low res one.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Does anyone know the title of the second song that plays near the end of the trailer (the one with vocals)?

As for the film itself: It looks good, but I'm lowering expectations after the recent track record of action films at the multiplex (see Aeon Flux).

6. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

David> that song is '24' by Jem, from her 'Finally Woken' album

~Jason

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Thanks, Jay! [​IMG]

8. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I keep track of new films pretty well, so it's always surprising when I see a trailer on TV for an upcoming film I haven't heard of.

Ultraviolet, with Milla Jovovich and William Fichtner comes out this march (I think that's what it said). It looks like another futuristic Matrix clone. Although it may be fun and I did like some of the visuals in the trailer, even if their budget seemed a bit thin. If anything it seems more entertaining than the similar Aeon Flux.

Here's the very limited website with a trailer, any thoughts?

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/ultraviolet/

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Any film that features Milla Jovovich in skin tight outfits already has my money. [​IMG]

10. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

It's from Kurt Wimmer, who made Equilibrium.

At least this time around, they're giving his movie a wide release.

Equilibrium had zero publicity and didn't get released wide, for some dumb reason. It was a terrific film that looked as good as any scifi movie and was only made for $20 mill.

11. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

12. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Milla Jovovich looks soooooooooooo hot in this. That sells it enough for me to see it [​IMG]

13. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Is Kurt Wimmer going to be making the same movie over and over again until he has a B - movie with an A - budget?

I loved Equilibrium, but the trailer to Ultraviolet looks cheesy, trite and unintentionally funny.

14. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Until someone else can make a better movie than Equlibrium, I'm just fine with Wimmer making it over and over. That doesn't necessarily look like what he's doing though; both look like scifi action is all I can tell about Ultra.

Definitely doesn't look cheesy. It looks cool.

15. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

I'm also in the "no way this looks cheesy" camp. Granted, sci-fi actioners always possess a little bit of cheesiness, but its very rarely the bad kind.

Milla sorta reminded me of Selma Blair in the trailer.

Looks good...and the premiere is inching closer.

I hope this pulls in decent numbers.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

What I really want is some more GUN KATA!!!

--
    H

17. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I wonder if the film will be any good since rumors are flying that Kurt Wimmer got pulled from editing the film and supposedly Screen Gems is re-editing it. I hope the rumors aren't true.

18. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

What's more important is that this movie isn't going to be screened for critics. I think the movie is already dead.

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, remember that critics hated Equilibrium, which the director seemed to be fairly sensitive about on the commentary -- he kept justifying his choices, and putting them in the context of how the movie was received. I rarely do commentaries so for all I know this attitude is common with poorly received movies.

I know there are very good chances that he doesn't have enough pull with the studio to dictate how the movie should be marketed, but it's a possibility.

--
    H

20. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Even more interesting, Milla Jovovich and Peter Travers (Rolling Stones Film Critic) will be on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Friday. I wonder if they'll bump into each other or be on at the same time...[​IMG]