What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Maybe they are apprehensive to after the recent barrage of unfavourable reactions.
I have the Spanish pressed disc of UNTAMED. It is a good letterboxed transfer with mono sound.
I have not seen the Fox MOD but going by reviews on Amazon it is in stereo but has a somewhat 'pixilated' image. As much as I'd love to hear the Franz Waxman score and the directionally recorded dialogue in stereo, I think I am still better off with the Spanish disc, which looks better to me than some people online seemed to indicate.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I refuse to take part in a Pan and Scan program of any movie I have wanted. I like James Finn and what he said at the start of bringing back the Fox Classics was true and I thank him for these release's!

Twilight Time is the label I prefer above all. People should never hesitate to buy their product. Drums Along The Mohawk is prime example of the fine work they are doing.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
They announced DANTE'S INFERNO a for end of August, I believe, and I have not seen it listed on Amazon. Anyone know what happened?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Screen Archives is listing three new Cinema Archives releases:
DECISION BEFORE DAWN (Richard Basehart,previously released as a pressed disc)
IMMORTAL SERGEANT (Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara,also released as a pressed disc in a Classic Quad wartime set)
and a WW2 documentary called FAREWELL TO YESTERDAY made soon after the war ended.
Has anyone seen the early Technicolor movie RAMONA? Curious to find out if it's a similar transfer to the one shown on FMC.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
Screen Archives is listing three new Cinema Archives releases:
DECISION BEFORE DAWN (Richard Basehart,previously released as a pressed disc)
IMMORTAL SERGEANT (Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara,also released as a pressed disc in a Classic Quad wartime set)
and a WW2 documentary called FAREWELL TO YESTERDAY made soon after the war ended.
Has anyone seen the early Technicolor movie RAMONA? Curious to find out if it's a similar transfer to the one shown on FMC.
Why would they bother to release DECISION BEFORE DAWN and IMMORTAL SERGEANT? Those have both been made available on DVD and eventually should be making their way to Blu.
On FAREWELL TO YESTERDAY: I'm hoping that more effort has gone into the transfer than for THE FIGHTING LADY, which came from a crap 16mm print, as opposed to the beautiful studio nitrates stored at UCLA. Hopefully all of these documentaries coming means that FCA has plans to release the Oscar-winning WHY KOREA?
On RAMONA: I'm not a huge fan of the film and the transfer shown on FMC ca. 2011 was abysmal with weak color, registration errors, color fluctuations, and severe age-related damage to the audio. It sounded like a worn-out vinyl at times. Or were you referring to the MOD? I haven't seen the MOD if that's what you're asking for.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Lromero1396 said:
On RAMONA: I'm not a huge fan of the film and the transfer shown on FMC ca. 2011 was abysmal with weak color, registration errors, color fluctuations, and severe age-related damage to the audio. It sounded like a worn-out vinyl at times. Or were you referring to the MOD? I haven't seen the MOD if that's what you're asking for.
Checked out my disc and while the video was pretty mediocre, it's not as bad as your description and not as bad as some I'd had the displeasure of witnessing from the FCA (of their academy ratio Technicolor films). I'd say it was likely a different transfer, but not a very recent one.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks JoHud and Lromero1396 for your comments. I have the FMC versiof of RAMONA. Was curious to find out if I should upgrade to the Archives transfer. It sounds only marginally better. As it is not in the class of DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, I can't see it being restored for Blu Ray as the Ford title has been. (From what I have read, the Twilight Time is the better blu ray to acquire. The European release has sound issues ie. out of synch).
Nonetheless, as it was Fox's first 3-strip Technicolor film and the first western shot in this process, it has historical value and should be given a better release.( Sadly, the same can be said for virtually ALL of the Cinema Archives catalog!!)
An Amazon reviewer describes the color in HILDA CRANE as "washed out". The transfer broadcast on the Fox Movie Channel has - I think- quite strong color, especially for De Luxe. Can anyone comment on the broadcast print vs the Archives print? If it's a downgrade, I'll abstain from purchasing it.
For those who missed the TT version of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, it was released in Australia yesterday (9/19). As it has an isolated score, it must be the same transfer as Twilight's. It is around $14 and a very economical alternative to the over-priced Twilight Time copies being sold at "scalper's prices" on Ebay and Amazon. I would suggest ebay.com.au or ezy.dvd.com.au

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
Thanks JoHud and Lromero1396 for your comments. I have the FMC versiof of RAMONA. Was curious to find out if I should upgrade to the Archives transfer. It sounds only marginally better. As it is not in the class of DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, I can't see it being restored for Blu Ray as the Ford title has been. (From what I have read, the Twilight Time is the better blu ray to acquire. The European release has sound issues ie. out of synch).
Nonetheless, as it was Fox's first 3-strip Technicolor film and the first western shot in this process, it has historical value and should be given a better release.( Sadly, the same can be said for virtually ALL of the Cinema Archives catalog!!)
An Amazon reviewer describes the color in HILDA CRANE as "washed out". The transfer broadcast on the Fox Movie Channel has - I think- quite strong color, especially for De Luxe. Can anyone comment on the broadcast print vs the Archives print? If it's a downgrade, I'll abstain from purchasing it.
For those who missed the TT version of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, it was released in Australia yesterday (9/19). As it has an isolated score, it must be the same transfer as Twilight's. It is around $14 and a very economical alternative to the over-priced Twilight Time copies being sold at "scalper's prices" on Ebay and Amazon. I would suggest ebay.com.au or ezy.dvd.com.au
If Ramona ever gets a proper release, I hope that Fox doesn't use the crap CRI that the 2011 FMC broadcast came from and goes straight to the studio nitrate or an existing dye transfer print. That would be the best option since the original 3-strip negs are gone. However, that's 100% wishful thinking. Ramona is in my opinion a mediocre film and it doesn't seem to be well remembered. It'll probably just languish in obscurity like the rest of their vault.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Two new non-CinemaScope titles announced today by ClassicFlix for October 29th. Both have good reputations (and Victor Mature):
cryofthecity.jpg
mossrose.jpg

I will be interested to hear what the transfers are like. CRY OF THE CITY has been released in Spain but I have not seen it. I don't think MOSS ROSE has been released anywhere until now. Peggy Cummins-still living- was brought to the USA from England with much fanfare to portray Amber in FOREVER AMBER. For various reasons she was replaced by Linda Darnell (and Vincent Price by Richard Greene) and the production was re-started to (eventual) great box office effect .Miss Cummins was then cast in THE LATE GEORGE APLEY (with Ronald Colman) and following this , MOSS ROSE (which also features Vincent Price and was directed by Gregory Ratoff, a director who also acted, his most famous performance being in ALL ABOUT EVE with Bette Davis)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
Two new non-CinemaScope titles announced today by ClassicFlix for October 29th. Both have good reputations (and Victor Mature):

I will be interested to hear what the transfers are like. CRY OF THE CITY has been released in Spain but I have not seen it. I don't think MOSS ROSE has been released anywhere until now. Peggy Cummins-still living- was brought to the USA from England which much fanfare to portray Amber in FOREVER AMBER. For various reasons she was replaced by Linda Darnell (and Vincent Price by Richard Greene) and the production was re-started to (eventual) great box office effect .Miss Cummins was then cast in THE LATE GEORGE APLEY (with Ronald Colman) and following this , MOSS ROSE (which also features Vincent Price and was directed by Gregory Ratoff, a director who also acted, his most famous performance being in ALL ABOUT EVE with Bette Davis)
I hope that they both get transfers from proper HD masters. Cry of the City ran on FMC this past june and seemed to come from a master prepared for DVD with an original Fox logo (not a '70s one like in a lot of safety dupes) and windowboxed credits. I had only previously seen the film in an unrestored video transfer with a '70s Fox logo and no windowboxed credits.

I've never heard of Moss Rose and am very interested to check it out. I love me some Vincent Price (who doesn't?)! I'll have to see how the money situation is, though since Fox, Criterion, and Twilight Time have been putting a strain on my wallet lately. :P

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Cry of the City was announced by Fox 3-4 weeks ago, along with two others. What happened to Backlash and Circumstantial Evidence?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
cryofthecity.jpg
mossrose.jpg

I will be interested to hear what the transfers are like. CRY OF THE CITY has been released in Spain but I have not seen it.
I have the German DVD of Cry Of The City. It's pretty good. The film itself is first class and is essential viewing for anyone interested in crime melodramas/film noir etc.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robin9 said:
I have the German DVD of Cry Of The City. It's pretty good. The film itself is first class and is essential viewing for anyone interested in crime melodramas/film noir etc.
I'll second that statement on the quality of the film. I was thinking about getting the R2 release, but PAL speed-up irritates me quite badly.

wesaussie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Anderson
I'll second that statement on the quality of the film. I was thinking about getting the R2 release, but PAL speed-up irritates me quite badly.
Please explain to me this PAL speedup you speak of. Movies were originally photographed at 24 FPS which is what I understand is the frame rate of PAL. On the other hand NTSC runs at 30 FPS which would mean a faster frame rate than they were originally photographed at. According to my reckoning NTSC would therefor run faster than PAL and would need to be slowed rather than PAL being sped up. However I'll be happy to get an alternate view to my view on this subject.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
wesaussie said:
Please explain to me this PAL speedup you speak of. Movies were originally photographed at 24 FPS which is what I understand is the frame rate of PAL. On the other hand NTSC runs at 30 FPS which would mean a faster frame rate than they were originally photographed at. According to my reckoning NTSC would therefor run faster than PAL and would need to be slowed rather than PAL being sped up. However I'll be happy to get an alternate view to my view on this subject.
When showing 24 fps film, PAL just speeds it up to 25 fps to match their television frame rate (25 frames/50 fields per second). NTSC uses a special pulldown and shutter arrangement on the projector to allow 24 fps film to be shown on its 30 frames/60 fields television system at the correct speed..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks