What's new

TRON: Legacy (2010) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like electronica and a couple of Daft Punk songs. That one though was particularly monotonous. That's fine for background ambient in a movie, but it seems an odd choice as a promo song.

Seeing the Tron trailer on TV (living room, big screen, surround) was much more compelling to me than any of them on my computer. That suggests movie theater experience could be worthwhile.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Saw the Tron toys the other day as well. Stood there for several minutes trying to decide if I should buy a light cycle or not. The ID disc was pretty cool as well.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Tron Legacy has had some mixed reviews. One of our British papers called it 'plotless' but liked some of the visuals, while Variety gave it a fairer review, here's a spoiler free excerpt -

Visually light-years ahead of the 1982 original and yet strangely old-fashioned in the story department, "Tron: Legacy" plays like the world's most impressive screensaver -- a flashy, fetishistic showcase of what bikes and bodysuits might look like in a future designed by renegade Apple employees. While 21st-century effects and a cutting-edge dance score make this a stunning virtual ride, the underlying concept feels as far-fetched as ever. Still, the Disney tentpole's 3D-enhanced spectacle offers enough to draw legions to first-time director Joseph Kosinski's reverential reboot, which should set high scores worldwide (compared to an OK $33 million for the earlier version). Commercials helmer Kosinski hails from a background in architecture and visual effects, and what the design-oriented director lacks in narrative instinct, he makes up for in large-scale vision. If "Tron: Legacy's" primary raison d'etre was to relaunch Lisberger's world in such a way that it could support not only movies but also games, merch and themepark attractions, then Kosinski more than satisfies the job requirement. Building on blueprints from that first film (including such classic vehicles as the Recognizers and the Solar Sailer), Kosinski creates a world we'd love to explore for ourselves, using the 3D to enhance the immersive experience: Light Cycles literally materialize out of thin air, while the action spills not only "off the grid" but off the screen as well.

Every bit as important as the pic's impressive visuals is its Daft Punk score, which hails from an entirely different dimension from conventional film compositions, establishing the tone for the whole enterprise. You don't just hear the music, but feel it reverberating in your bones -- an energy on the same sonic wavelength as the film's vehicles and costumes, combining the flickering hum of fluorescent tubes and the insistent beat of a futuristic engine.

Those bodysuits, by the way, are now sexy, jet-black foam-latex numbers with built-in lights of various colors, rather than the unflattering white spandex of the original (which vfx guys hand-illuminated via backlit animation) -- not that folks will be comparing things too closely. Although the 1982 film has its own cult-like following, mostly among geeks and stoners, Disney has strategically allowed the DVD to go out of print. That means younger auds will discover this slick film first, buying into the sequel's radically upgraded look before having a chance to revisit its clunky prototype.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944151?refcatid=31

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Can't speak to the film, although the reviews have me nervous. I'll still be checking it out, but with negligible expectations.

I do want to praise Daftpunk's score. I've been listening to it quite a bit since it's release a week ago. It's incredible stuff. I highly recommend it to score fans.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't care what reviewers think about this film. I'll be seeing it at my earliest convenience.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Roger Ebert liked the original, (IIRC, it was shown at one of his film festivals) so I'd be interested in his thoughts if no one else. Legacy is pretty much critic proof at this point anyway.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Is it going to be important for one to be familiar with the original? I'm somewhat interested in seeing this but the original film is OOP so it's going to be hard to track down a reasonably priced copy unless I can find one used somewhere

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^

It should be available most places to rent - assuming that's an option. there's always ebay or amazon marketplace for a cheap copy.

I'm surprised it's not going to show up on tv... Disney Channel, etc. There was speculation Disney didn't want to issue the film on Blu in advance of the movie as they didn't want to alienate today's kids (some apparently find the graphics laughable... and I guess they would looking at it in 2010 eyes).

Still.. I put it on for my 7 year old when he was home sick from school; coincidentally about three weeks before the test footage came out properly (as opposed to bootleg cam that'd been circulating). He loved it and went nuts when I showed him the test footage without introduction.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

Is it going to be important for one to be familiar with the original? I'm somewhat interested in seeing this but the original film is OOP so it's going to be hard to track down a reasonably priced copy unless I can find one used somewhere

I don't know but I imagine that Disney made sure that it's very accessible to people who haven't seen the original and the sequel will relay all the necessary info. Since the original isn't available right now, it's pretty obvious that Disney wants to keep it off the market so people don't look at it and think the sequel will be as goofy and dated as the original. Of course, they will happily re-release the original on DVD and Blu-ray when the sequel comes to home video so they can go back to making money from it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I actually popped in my DVD of the original just the other night in preparation for the sequel.

I still really enjoy the original and get something more from it each time I watch it. This time, I really took notice of the heavy religious themes present throughout the film. I had never paid much attention to it, but this time really picked up on it.

Another benefit to re-watching the original is that it reminded me of how little Jeff Bridges looked like Jeff Bridges in the original... The significance being that ever since I saw footage of the digitally "de-aged" Jeff Bridges from Legacy, I kept thinking to myself, "That doesn't look like a young Jeff Bridges" and I was skeptical it would work at all.

Now that I've re-watched the original, I see that the digital Jeff in Legacy indeed DOES look a lot like he did in the original film.

I'm anxious to see the new one, though I'm trying to temper my expectations. I do fear for there being more style than substance - something which tends to bother me with many of the "event" pictures of recent memory. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the ride.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Wasn't it also reported elsewhere the original was being cleaned up and restored? There were a few FX bloopers that they would probably want to fix, like one of the guards on the solar sailer who partially disappears.

It would be really cool if the apartment scene was put back in.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I got to attend a screening on Monday night. I've always been a huge fan of the original and have been excited about the sequel ever since it was first announced. Overall, I was extremely disappointed. The visual effects were downright amazing so I would strongly recommend seeing it in IMAX 3D if at all possible. I also really enjoyed the score by Daft Punk.

My biggest issue with it is the middle third of the film. It just doesn't feel like TRON during many of the scenes. I really felt like I was watching another BLADE film or even DARK CITY (and I like both of those films). Also, I couldn't stand the Zuse character played by Michael Sheen. He seemed totally out of place, as did most of his scenes.

The first third is fairly entertaining, and while the climax of the film drags on far too long, I still found the visuals compelling enough not to be bored.

The two friends I went with both enjoyed it immensely, so I think opinions will be heavily divided on this one.

I'd give it *1/2 out of ****.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the replies regarding the original.

It seems the cheapest copy out there is around $75 and I'm not about to pay that. I tried renting it at a Blockbuster but was told the studio had them pull it from the shelf around five months ago. It seems like they're embarrassed by it and I'm really not sure why they wouldn't try selling some copies due to this film.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's a tad paranoid if they really think it's going to hurt the sequel somehow by being on the retail shelves right now. I can imagine Ebay scalpers hoarding copies of The Black Hole already!

I'm pretty sure I saw Tron on the SciFi channel sometime last year. Didn't have the HD channels yet, so no idea if was broadcast that way.

One of their promos in the 90's was a nice homage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks