What's new

Trek on TNN, and TNG DVD's... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question. This deal couldn't have gotten worse for TNN, but how many of you will stop watching that network once the series is on DVD?
As far as I know, TNN shows the series relativley uncut. I know WB11 in NY edited various parts of the series, especially in two hour episodes, but so far I havn't noticed it on TNN. But the MAIN reason I will stop watching the broadcast versions, is the two black bars put mainly to showcase upcoming TV shows in the form of text adds. (Yes, I'm a widescreen supporter, but this show was never meant for widescreen as far as I know :) ).
Am I the ONLY one that found this annoying? I had never watched this network before Trek, since I can't stand country, or things like hunting shows. I was really hoping that they didn't use this black bar practice for every show, but sadly that seems to be the case even for the movies.
And I thought network bugs where annoying.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
TNN sucks. I was/am so happy that The Wonder Years moved over to ABC Family. I think TNN uses that black bar on everything except for commercials, and the WWF. WWF wouldn't put up with it :)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I detest that black bar/title stuff on the bottom during the shows.... Worst Bug Ever!!

So said, I rarely watch TNN.

~Kurt

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I spoke with some TNN reps last week at a Star Trek convention. They agreed with me that the black bar was annoying.

Neil

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
heh, let me guess, you attended the SFedora Con with the TOS reunion too, huh? I'm glad even people at the network find it annoying. Question is, why dosn't someone do something about it?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
heh, let me guess, you attended the SFedora Con with the TOS reunion too, huh? I'm glad even people at the network find it annoying.
That's right! They were giving out free TNG magnets. I asked if they had wrestling or Waltons or Baywatch magnets as well. :)
I did take the magnet, but I explained that many people hate that black bar and how it distorts the picture (you should hear Howard Stern rant about this, now that "E!" is doing the same thing to his show). They agreed, but they didn't say anything about it's removal.
Neil

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Not only is the black bar annoying, but have you noticed that it actually squashes the pictures vertically so that everyone looks squat?!?

They didn't do that when they had their big marathon, but now they have it that way all the time.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Since TNN started using the black bar at the bottom of the screen, I have stopped watching them completely. The unusually large, multi-colored logo was bad enough when I was trying to watch Miami Vice but when they added the black bar, it was just too much to take and I tuned out.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Well, it looks like TNN's website is up (it wasn't a couple months ago when I was first looking for a place to complain).
I absolutely refuse to watch TNN because of the black bar.
Their website has an e-mail contact that asks "How are we doing?"
My suggestion is that we all let them know.
I have done so, including a link to this thread at HTF.
http://www.tnnonline.com/

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wait, I'm confused. I thought this was a pro "black bar" forum. Now we're against the black bars?
No, most people on the forum are Pro-OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). We want to see the movie (or TV show in this case) the way it's creator(s) originally intended. Many movies have a wider image than a typical TV set, so when a widescreen movie is shown on TV, the black bars are neccessary to fit the entire widescreen image on the TV screen.
But Star Trek: The Next Generation is a TV series, and like nearly all TV shows, it was created to fill the entire TV screen. So when they put black bars during this and other TV shows, they have to cut the top or bottom off of the picture. To show the entire image with the black bars, they have to distort or "squish" the original image to fit it into the black bars.
So, most peole here want to see the entire image when they watch a TV show or movie. We don't want the image chopped up or squished. Black bars should only be used when they are neccessary to fit the entire image on the screen.
(Note: Some newer TV shows (such as Star Trek: Enterprise) are created for widescreen TVs. These shows are supposed to have black bars when viewed on older TVs.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Further, we've had many a pow-wow about this most disgusting of station-bug distractions. And, yes, I've noticed lately that this imbecile network has actually been compressing the image. So we have a choice: black bars obscuring the bottom part of the image, or distorting the entire image by compressing it. You go, TNN! Wonderful job. Somewhere, amid all this self-promotional, obnoxious clutter there's a television show we have all known and loved.

Know something, TNN? You are helping Paramount to sell lots and lots of TNG DVD boxsets this year.

The hell with TNN.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Stop ? I Never started. When they stop butchering the presentation maybe I'll watch...but I doubt it. The bug

tends to burn and I want to avoid that on my set.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've been wondering if screen burn-in might form the basis of a class-action suit against the networks for this station-bug garbage. It may be the only way a political solution might be undertaken.

If TNG were available on television without a station bug--or at least without this bullshit TNN is foisting upon us--I'd watch religiously, even if I had all seven seasons on DVD.

As it is, I could barely watch TNN's presentations anyway--note how faded and washed out the colors are. Picard looks as if he is wearing a badly bleached pink-and-grey uniform.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
hehe..i was a fan of TNG before, and Im kinda glad TNN is showing it sooo much, because it made me realize how much I love that show. now, with the bars: I remember back recently when TNN first went through its tranformation to a new style channel..and the bar was just like the first 30seconds after commercial break..(which kinda made sense at the time), but now its just a damn ticker advertisement..like i dont know wtf im watching?!?! And TNN is pretty deperate..because have you noticed how much they show TNG ? Its like the only thing they have going for them now...and the rare movie or 2 they get the reshow more than HBO etc.

i cant wait for the DVDs to come out so I can stop watching TNN.

and yes, ive noticed how bad the picture looks on TNN with ST|TNG etc.

just my 2c

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Man, I'm glad someone else noticed the compressed image on TNG. The crap they put on the screen just pisses me off and yes, they're pushing me towards buying the DVDs just so I won't have to watch their lame channel again. At least TCM still doesn't put their logo on the screen all the time (knocks on wood)...

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I do not watch TNG on TNN, not only is the black bar bug thing annoying and useless, the picture is compressed. What are they thinking? why would anyone watch it?

Every now and then I'm going through the on-screen guide, see TNG and think "maybe I'll watch that" then I remember its TNN and that the constant bug and squished picture is unwatchable.

Glennica

Agent
I was watching Miami Vice on TNN, but I stopped as soon as they added that beeping noise to their already annoying, huge bugs. I have not tuned to TNN once since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks