What's new

Top 20 singles artist UK chart history (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this, so I guess I will pass it along. According to the latest edition of the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles, the following are the Top 20 singles artists in the 50 years of the British charts.

1. Elvis Presley
2. Cliff Richard
3. The Shadows
4. Elton John
5. Madonna
6. Diana Ross
7. Michael Jackson
8. Rod Stewart
9. Beatles
10. David Bowie
11. Frank Sinatra
12. Queen
13. Status Quo
14. Stevie Wonder
15. Paul McCartney
16. Tom Jones
17. Rolling Stones
18. Bee Gees
19. Roy Orbison
20. Everly Brothers

Discussion?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Cliff Richard had some US hits, like "Devil Woman", "We Don't Talk Anymore", and "Suddenly"(w/ Olivia Newton-John). But I guess his success in the UK didn't transfer to the US.

John Watson

Screenwriter
But he was quite popular in Canada, eh?

And "Sir" Cliff was in the Queens's Jubilee concert early last year, jamming good with all the stars of this day.

Kevin J Willis

Stunt Coordinator
Cliff Richard was Britains (maybe Europes) first real rock star. He has had hits in the uk in 5 decades. I've actually heard some of his early rock songs and they are quite good. His backing band, The Shadows, really rocked.

Kevin J Willis

Stunt Coordinator
Also, his performance at the Queen's Jubilee was IMHO the highlight of the show. Seeing him, at 62, dancing across the stage to his song "Move It" while Brian May was playing guitar was flat-out great.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm somewhat surprised that the Beatles are (relatively) low on the chart. perhaps a function of their relatively short career as a group, what was it, 1964-1970? whereas Madonna first charted around 1984 and is still "going strong"; Sir Elton even longer.

another surprise (to me) is how high Status Quo are, just under Queen.

I would venture to say that this chart won't change much 10 years from now. sure, some of the still-current artists, like Madonna and Sir Elton, might move a little higher compared to dead or defunct acts, but I don't think many new acts will break in, maybe one or two at the bottom (e.g. maybe Kylie). newer acts don't seem to have the staying power that older acts have/had.

in any case, isn't the British chart a bit anachronistic these days?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I agree about Status Quo, had to look them up to remember Matchstick Men

Real shocker - NO SPICE GIRLS!!!

You're right about staying power, the times are moving very fast, and most of the disposable heros of hip pop have short lives, every generation throws a new hero up the charts, and generations are now counted in months..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks