What's new

Top 10 Sleuths Tv Series of all-time (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all, I decided to watch S2 of the Hardy Boys and notice the bonus feature was the top 10 sleuth shows and was stunned with inclusions of certain shows. #1 Magnum PI - Magnum PI is show deserves to be in top 10, but is it truly #1 There was no Hawaii Five-O or Streets of San Francisco or SWAT or Starsky and Hutch or Adam-12 or even Dragnet. I question the inclusion of Murder she wrote and/or CSI. Miami Vice and Rockford Files are good inclusions!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
Hi all, I decided to watch S2 of the Hardy Boys and notice the bonus feature was the top 10 sleuth shows and was stunned with inclusions of certain shows. #1 Magnum PI - Magnum PI is show deserves to be in top 10, but is it truly #1 There was no Hawaii Five-O or Streets of San Francisco or SWAT or Starsky and Hutch or Adam-12 or even Dragnet. I question the inclusion of Murder she wrote and/or CSI. Miami Vice and Rockford Files are good inclusions!
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that since its a Universal show, I'm going to assume that all 10 on their list are Universal shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that since its a Universal show, I'm going to assume that all 10 on their list are Universal shows.
You are probably right, but the list is flawed. I also did not think Sherlock Holmes was a universal product, but BBC. So, it is reason i wonder about the list. My top 10 would be the following: 1. Hawaii Five-O (The original series) 2. Adam-12 3. Miami Vice 4. Magnum PI 5. Rockford Files 6. Streets of San Francisco 7. Crime Story 8. Starsky and Hutch 9. Mannix 10. Simon & Simon

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For the rest of us, who don't have the Hardy Boys set you referenced, it would be nice if you could list out their choices so we could comment intelligently on this topic. And aside from possibly being biased towards Universal productions (which I don't know if they are, since I haven't seen the list), it might also have to do with terminology. For me, 'sleuth' usually means people solving mysteries, not police departments catching criminals. I understand if others interpret it differently. But I would classify Dragnet, SWAT, Hawaii Five-O, and Miami Vice as 'cop shows'. I realize I'm splitting hairs. And police officers could be sleuths (I would classify Columbo as a sleuth). David

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The list was as follow 1. Magnum PI (Universal) 2. Columbo (Universal) 3. Rockford files (universal) 4. Miami Vice (Universal) 5. Quincy M.E. (Universal) 6. Murder she Wrote (unverisal) 7. Remmington Steele (NBC) 8. CSI (CBS) 9. Law & Order (Universal) 10. sherlock holmes (BBC) The list is per hardy boys set.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
My list would include: Rockford files Colombo Mike hammer (mcgavin) Ellery Queen McMillan and Wife Peter Gunn Burke's Law Harry-O 77 Sunset Strip Murder She wrote

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The FBI Walker, Texas Ranger Hawaii Five-O Cannon Barnaby Jones Ironside Peter Gunn New York Undercover The Streets of San Francisco and the Grandaddy of them all: Dragnet!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
In alphabetical order: Cagney & Lacey Dragnet Harry O -- my personal #1 Hawaii Five-O (original) Law & Order (original) Magnum, P.I. NCIS (original) Numb3rs Remington Steele The Streets of San Francisco

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Leaving out the cops here and making the list private detectives only: Harry O Barnaby Jones Mannix Cannon Tenspeed and Brown Shoe Rockford Files Crazy Like a Fox Simon & Simon Richie Brockelman, Private Eye Mike Hammer (Keach)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Leaving out the cops here and making the list private detectives only: Harry O Barnaby Jones Mannix Cannon Tenspeed and Brown Shoe Rockford Files Crazy Like a Fox Simon & Simon Richie Brockelman, Private Eye Mike Hammer (Keach)
Great list! My concerns is how does remmington steel or colombo beat out shows like hawaii five-o/adam-12? Yes, the list predominantly unversal, but there are some shows that are not.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I love Dragnet and Hawaii Five O, but I think of them more as police shows than Detective, which I associate with mysteries. Some Detective/Mystery shows I really like are as follows: Columbo McCloud Burke's Law Ellery Queen Barnaby Jones

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
JoeDoakes said:
I love Dragnet and Hawaii Five O, but I think of them more as police shows than Detective, which I associate with mysteries. Some Detective/Mystery shows I really like are as follows: Columbo McCloud Burke's Law Ellery Queen Barnaby Jones
I like your list! I do have a problem with the list on the hardy boys set as it is miss leading. I can not see how Remmington Steele and/or Columbo are a head of shows like Hawaii Five-O or Adam-12 or even Mannix.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I love Columbo. Of all the crime shows out there, I've probably seen it more times than any other crime drama I can think of, such a repeat-viewing friendly series I know them all especially the early classic stories by heart as I revisit select favorites numerous times a year if the mood hits. They're that good, in my opinion. Whenever I can't find anything else to watch, there's always Columbo and the addictive familiarity of the great cases and guest stars to lure me back. Doesn't matter that I've seen them countless times, they're still watchable and well-made. Of course cops don't catch criminals in real life that way, but it's entertainment for the imagination if you will. By the way, both Columbo and McCloud are police folk which sometimes you can forget by the P.I. sleuthing-like format of one main character and particularly the former as he's seemingly working by himself.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
I love Columbo. Of all the crime shows out there, I've probably seen it more times than any other crime drama I can think of, such a repeat-viewing friendly series I know them all especially the early classic stories by heart as I revisit select favorites numerous times a year if the mood hits. They're that good, in my opinion. Whenever I can't find anything else to watch, there's always Columbo and the addictive familiarity of the great cases and guest stars to lure me back. Doesn't matter that I've seen them countless times, they're still watchable and well-made. Of course cops don't catch criminals in real life that way, but it's entertainment for the imagination if you will. By the way, both Columbo and McCloud are police folk which sometimes you can forget by the P.I. sleuthing-like format of one main character and particularly the former as he's seemingly working by himself.
Hi Henry, I glad that you like Columbo and i am sure there are many people that share same likes for the show. I like Columbo as Peter Falk was amazing, but it would not be on my top 10 list. I am realize surprised that Remmington Steele made the list. I would not have included Remmington Steele. You easily make two list Top 10 Police/Crime Dramas 1. Hawaii Five-O 2. Adam-12 3. Starsky & Hutch 4. Miami Vice 5. Crime Story 6. Harry O 7. The Rookies 8. SWAT 9. Pacific Blue 10. Silk Stalkings Honorable mention: Ellery Queen PI shows would be the following 1. Rockford Files 2. Charlie's Angels 3. Simon & Simon 4. Cannon 5. Mannix 6. Magnum PI 7. Coronado 9 8. Matt Helm 9. Vega$ 10. Tenspeed and Brownshoe

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hi Paul. I definitely agree on Remington Steele, same with Moonlighting or MacMillan & Wife for me, personally I could never see the appeal in these male/female detective team shows. Stephanie Zimbalist's dad Efram is rightly proud of her success, and he of course is terrific in The F.B.I. What an awesome series that is, I think.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Hi Paul. I definitely agree on Remington Steele, same with Moonlighting or MacMillan & Wife for me, personally I could never see the appeal in these male/female detective team shows. Stephanie Zimbalist's dad Efram is rightly proud of her success, and he of course is terrific in The F.B.I. What an awesome series that is, I think.
I am very surprised that Charlie's Angels never made the list due to fact that any kid age between 8-15 had a crush on one of the angels. My crush was Jaclyn Smith and to this day she is still one of my favorites.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
HenryDuBrow said:
Umm, can you say Pierce Brosnan and Bruce Willis? And when you consider the plot setup (she's the brains of the operation, but he takes the bows) Remington Steele could be called your first feminist private eye show. Laura Holt had both brains and beauty.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I am very surprised that Charlie's Angels never made the list due to fact that any kid age between 8-15 had a crush on one of the angels. My crush was Jaclyn Smith and to this day she is still one of my favorites.
Yes, that's a reason that a show should be included :rolleyes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks