What's new

To the studios: STOP HOLDING TV ON DVD HOSTAGE! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Wow. ANOTHER disilllusioned fanboy vs. bootlicking shill brawlfest. I can't get enough of these.

My primary TV on DVD interest is animation, which in some ways, fares a little better than live action (especially older live-action) when it comes to DVD because cartoons as a general rule don't use much copyrighted music if any at all (The FOX sitcoms and Beavis and Butt-head being exceptions), and the "one and done" syndrome is less prevalent.

That's not to say there aren't horrible flaws within the relatively scant number of animation TV season sets that have been released, just that it's a little better than live-action

However, there are fewer animation DVD's to choose from,

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I second that - an independent and non-profit,member supported (PBS is a good design model to follow) organization for the preservation and restoration of TV prints,shows,etc. and getting them out in limited run DVDs But not like some "museum" where it's locked up and only a privilaged few get to see it.

Sure maybe only a handful of episodes or shows may see the light of day,but it's alot better than doing nothing!

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

Of course you wouldn't understand, people with small minds and all....

Some people see an image, others, the big picture.

Someday, you'll understand.

That's a promise.

:crazy:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
everyone keeps finding fault and it's totally uncalled for.

I would liken him to someone who illegally downloads a new cd when it leaks online but then goes to the store/or iTunes and buys it as soon as it's available to buy. He is getting bootlegs of shows that the companies just aren't releasing for us, but he's stated several times that he'll support any official release for the shows he's interested in, so it's not like he's buying a bootleg copy of x-show and using that in lieu of an official release. I think if people realize that he has every intention on supporting each and every show he's interested in when the companies release official product, they'd see it differently. It's not like he's "oooh wow, entire Friends set bootlegged for $60, that'd save me $150 off that official Warner box set", if he was doing that, he'd merit the treatment he's getting.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

That's just as illegal, as you pointed out. Nobody's arguing ethics/morals here (I don't think?).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, I admit maybe it's not the "fairest" comparison, because cd's that leak illegally online are going to be available in stores in a matter of days anyways, in general we know at least 2-3 months in advance that a season of your fave show is coming out. But I was using that to be pointing out that Brett has stated that he will continue to support official releases from the studios when they come, even if he decided he couldn't wait any longer and bought bootleg editions.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I had nothing to say until I saw things like this: "There are 2 types of people in the world: those who get things done and those who get things done to them." He's doing nothing helpful at all.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
iTunes is the major hope so far as I'm concerned. It's got to be way cheaper to release something via iTunes than DVD. I am amazed that there isn't a single old show out there that is an iTunes exclusive (AFAIK -- reality TV excluded).

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

Well-- not really. Manufacturing, packaging and distribution costs **do** add up, of course, but rights clearances are far and away a much larger expense in the video release project budget. Whether it's a download or a disc, the intellectual property holders have to get paid!

-Kevin

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm old-fashioned :) I prefer DVD sets to downloads, ixxx. It's probably because I'm not too great at the PC world. But if TV series downloads are the only way to get a show (Hill St Blues S2?) and if it's the inevitable wave of the future, I'll have to get up to speed on it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They need to do something about this music rights debacle. There is nothing fair about the amount publishers are charging and no excuses about downloads will make it fair. Studios should always try to secure clearances, but is $30,000 for a little snippet of a pop song reasonable to anyone? Beethoven's 5th wouldn't be worth that much if it were still under copyright. The studios need to lobby BMI and ASCAP and demand that they set a standard rate.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, if nothing gets released they get paid exactly zero.

I agree: standard rates need to be set for snippets of pop songs, etc.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

That's true, but going the iTunes route does completely control one huge cash-draining problem in the DVD world.

Returns.

The studios are overflowing with returned product. It's why you see more and more DVDs showing up at outrageous sale prices. We're talking HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of returns sitting in warehouses.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ David, so why are sets being returned? I'm sure some people are opening, copying and then returning...but a lot more are defective in some way. If the studio is selling defective product, they should take it back, obviously. I don't think anyone will argue that point.

And if, for the sake of argument, if in home downloading gets to a point where burning to disc is a possibility, who will exchange defective discs? Not the media burned onto it, but the actual physical disc? Or if the burner is bad?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for David but I don't think he means consumers returning DVDs- he means returns from the stores. For example, say that Best Buy has 50 (or 40 or 25 or even 5) copies of a title that aren't selling and they don't want them cluttering their shelves so BB returns them to their distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks