What's new

Tigger hits kid.. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but by apologizing, you send out the signal that Disney will cave to ridiculous demands. Next you'll see other kids provoking characters so that their greedy parents can sue when one of the actors can't take no more.

I mean, I understand the strictness with which these actors must follow. Disney wants to make sure that these guys/gals can handle anything, but considering the lack of respect that is being bred into more and more kids today, there has to be a breaking point that we all have to understand.

I know bratty kids that would get under even Mother Theresa's skin. :frowning:

And if lightly pushing a kid away (who is trying to rip your characters head off) is a way of protecting your mystique, then I'd rather have a child see Tigger push some kid, then to have it revealed that there is a guy underneath the suit.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I was surprised by some of the language I hear some kids use while going to the mall. The four letter S word is something I never used when I was 12 or under. But, then at another mall trip, I saw a father use the word right in front of the kid, so it's no wonder where they pick it up from.

If I have that event with 'Roger' pushing me away when we where trying to get a picture, I'll try and post it. I think there's only a picture of it, but for some reason I remember seeing Video. Maybe I should have sued for dissapointment ;).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and if this Tigger thing ever happened to one of us (when we were kids), WE would have been punished for provoking the guy, instead of our parents making a huge case of it.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

I watched the video and read several articles, so what am I missing? I haven't read about or seen the kid do anything. I'm not defending either side yet, just trying to figure out why the kid is being labeled a punk.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
He's not a punk. He's a little wuss and pop's is coddling to him. One day he'll grow up and marry a nice dominatrix.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

Granted, I haven't dived into this "issue" in any depth but whats ridiculous about asking for an apology? I would have just said,"sorry kid" and moved on. By not doing that now you have the parents asking for a formal public apology. Jeez, just say your sorry and give the kid a worldpass and be done with it.... so many things become issues because we allow them to by not doing the civilized thing in the first place. And yes, this applies to BOTH parties.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, since we're not in a court of law, I'm just basing my opinion on the little info I have - as it stands right now, something must have happened to provoke Tigger to push the kid away.

oh, and...

p.s. ALL kids are punks ;)

EDIT: Did you see this part of the article:
A union representative for him (i.e. Tigger) said he was pulled and was choking, adding he was just trying to escape from the teen.

I have to believe Tigger because the video does not look like he is 'suckerpunching' the kid. It looks more like a desperate attempt (of someone being chocked) to push the kids away. Considering those costumes don't have much visibility, and if the kid was really chocking Tigger, his mask might not have been in the proper position for the guy to see where he was pushing the kid. Unfortunately he ended up hitting the kid in the face. It's probably just an honest mistake.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
The kid was doing something on the back of the costume. Tigger used an arm bar to stop it, which is a typical move. But, to say that he punched the kid purposely is ridiculous.

First off, there was no way he could see the kid. The vision that he has is very limited, and the kid is standing beside him, well out of his field of view. This is the thing that got the last "Tigger Case" cleared, by showing the jury how limited the visibility is inside the costume.

Second, Tigger's hand is open. Not closed in a fist.

The kid did something, Tigger reacted to stop what he was doing, and while turning, accidently hit the kid in the face with his hand. What they don't show, but you can see starting at the end of the clip is Tigger reaching out to the kid, touching his head, as if to say "Are you ok?"

He didn't "coldcock", "suckerpunch" or anything like that.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Agreed. Plus you can also see Tiger rest his arm on the kids in a kind of 'OK' type gesture like he was accidently tripped or something and trying to regain his balance....

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
From the (limited) amount of video shown, I still form the opinion the kid is a punk. He was obviously enjoying the discomfort he was causing. Don't know why times seem to change, but instead of asking for the apology, the kid's dad should tell him "you were being an idiot, be glad the guy in the costume was responsible enough to stop there and not dump you on your ass."

Kids like this go on to create disturbances in college libraries only to then scream police brutality! ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I fear for the day that someone pushes me, I accidentally bump into another person and that person sues me for assault :rolleyes

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Times are changing because parents are no longer teaching kids to be responsible for their actions. Years ago (as I mentioned before) if a kid got shoved for provoking someone, the parent would smugly look at them and say "well, did you learn a lesson? I bet you'll never do that again!" ;)

But in todays age, parents are teaching their kids that they aren't responsible for their actions. That's why there are so many "punks" out there. They've been taught "It's not my fault" and to blame everyone else.
:frowning:

Not that the parents are doing it on purpose, it's this "protecting the child to every extreme" parenting that is teaching the kid the wrong thing whether they realize it or not.

[sarcasm]How DARE you accuse my angel of wrong doing?[/sarcasm] ;)

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Tigger should apologize just like everyone else in this country, say he has an problem with alcohol and was abused as a child and will soon enter rehab.

But really, that prick was probably tried to unzip his suit or mess with his head. I also think he would have been able to see much so the punch might have been unintentional after the arm lock.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just watched the video. I gotta agree, I think the kid was up to something behind Tigger's back. The kids laughing in the video like he's up to something.

Throw him in the moat.

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely say it was not a hard punch, and, yes, it looks like he is apologizing, or saying something to the kid at the end.

I mean, for some teenager who knows it isn't real, he sure is screwing about trying to ruin the younger kids time. And, how did this come about, you may ask? Imagine the following argument/thought by the teenager:

(The previous night)
"Dad, I want a car."
"Okay, you can have $$$ for your car."
"The one I want is $$$$$."
"I can't afford that, you'll get one that is $$$."
"BUT DAAAD."
"No, and that's final."
Inside teenager's head: ***hole
(The next day)
Inside teenager's head as video is taken: "If I can't have what I want than these kids can't have fun"
Incident occurs.
Man playing Tigger doesn't apologize to teenager (or maybe he did, but family wants something), why should he? Teenager tells DAD that if they sue, or threaten to bring bad press, the company will pay and he can get car with the money.
To be concluded.

-Eric

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I know the guys in the suit are supposed to be representative of Disney by not lashing out even the slightest bit, but I'd like to know what Disney's stance is on anyone who tries to take the head off of one of these characters?

Is the character supposed to allow this to happen? because they aren't allowed to defend themselves? (i.e. going against how these characters are supposed to act?)

or does the character protect it's secret by trying to (somewhat) get away from the attacker and avoid such an incident where the head may come off?

This sounds like a fine line we're crossing and like I said before, I'd prefer the character to push the kid aside rather than to have his head taken off. If I had kids, I (as a parent) would be able to easily explain why Tigger pushed a kids face (i.e. he was just playing around) rather than trying to explain why Tiggers head fell off (which would probably traumatize the kid even more!)

I mean, even really young kids know that there are good and bad guys and that the good guys sometimes have to do things to defend themselves from the bad guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks