What's new

"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" to Street 09/14/04 (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

So "People strongly cautioned". Hmmm, doesn't seem like much of a rating, since everyone's people, yes?

(Sorry, somewhat local joke. "Orang" is "person" in Malay; "orang-utan" is literally a jungle-man.)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i can't believe someone actually used a Warner chat to get in a dig at GL.
this is outrageous...

looking forward to the cgi revised and updated THX 1138, as has ben said numerous times before- its his film.
if he had a mental breakdown and decided to scratch his initials into 400 frames of the O-neg that would be well within his rights and we should respect that and welcome the opportunity to see that version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Is this a joke? Most of the film takes place in interiors! Isn't the only shot of real sky at the end?

Aren't there only a handful of shots with opticals, anyways?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
guys...this is Lucas.

if you were told ten years ago that he was going to re-do SW so that Greedo got off a shot first, you would laugh your tail off and dismiss it as 100% baloney.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Hey..it's me! :)

At least it was a good natured dig. I am a blue-blooded "apologist" or whatever, after all...

I'd think it's a little weird that there'd be over 100 extra effects shots. maybe the chase at the end has been expanded and overhauled? I think in one of the books about him he talks about how he wanted the escape at the end to be more than what he ended up filming. Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong. And the sunset at the end I can easily see him re-doing--and maybe he added a pan across the landscape or something.

but other than those sequences--i can't really imagine what he could touch up. Maybe the displays on the monitors and such? There's quite a few of those--I think if he replaced or touched up enough of those, that'd easily add up to about 100 CGI shots.

I seriously doubt he did anything to the soundtrack, at least. I'd love to hear Murch doing the commentary with Lucas and then hearing an altered soundscape.

"You let BURTT touch this!?!"

Actually, that'd never happen. I've heard Murch speak before, and looking at Lucas' commentaries, odds are this one is going to be dry like petrified toast.

I'd hope for the original Director's Cut to be on there somewhere, but yunno...I know the drill. That aint happenin :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Sept release?
Digital effects enhancement?

I think im going to be sick....

Isnt the current LD release the 'uncut' directors cut?

Thats good enuff, along with remastering/restoring, for me.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I have it on good authority Lucas thought the film didn't have enough of the color white in it, hence he is adding more white walls, more white floors, more white ceilings. Duval's face and body are going to be digitally painted with the same white shade as the walls, so that when he speaks, all you will are his eyes, nostrils, and mouth floating in space.

Coressel

Supporting Actor

I honestly don't mind the changes Lucas made to the Star Wars movies, but this news about THX does kind of bother me.

Isn't it the point of this movie that we don't see skylines?
Everything is UNDERGROUND.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I read that info at Digital Bits and my heart sank. The only way I will buy this is if Lucas includes both the original & enhanced version on the DVD.

I wonder what Lucas would have done to Metropolis if he had sole ownership of it.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Gee, glad Star Wars made it into the news about THX-1138 being released.

Some of you really need to give it a rest. Go back to the SW thread and spout your childhood raping stories and hatred of Lucas there. No one likes to hear a broken record everywhere they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks