What's new

Thriller (Boris Karloff Series) Rumored coming to DVD (2 Viewers)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man
What's so "Steep" about the price?

That's around 10 bucks a disc. And this is before sales and discounts which will probably bring the price closer to $100.

I don't think you were around for the early days of TV on DVD, with Star Trek series being $119.99 for 7 discs. That was "steep".

But we aren't in the early days of TV DVD anymore. Personally, I'll go up to about $70 for the set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by smithb

But we aren't in the early days of TV DVD anymore. Personally, I'll go up to about $70 for the set.

True. But, 10 bucks a disc still seems to be average.

CBS/Paramount's sitcoms run 3 discs for 30 bucks. MSRP for their 6 disc sets is 50 bucks.

And from Image, those Twilight Zone box sets were 70 bucks for a 6 disc set. So, $150 for a 14 disc set seems about right.

IMO, people might have to get used to the fact that the "golden age" of TV on DVD is coming to a close, and if you want this more obscure stuff that's coming out now, you're going to have to pay for it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man
True. But, 10 bucks a disc still seems to be average.

CBS/Paramount's sitcoms run 3 discs for 30 bucks. MSRP for their 6 disc sets is 50 bucks.

And from Image, those Twilight Zone box sets were 70 bucks for a 6 disc set. So, $150 for a 14 disc set seems about right.

IMO, people might have to get used to the fact that the "golden age" of TV on DVD is coming to a close, and if you want this more obscure stuff that's coming out now, you're going to have to pay for it.

I've spent about $1500 on TV DVD's over the last 6 months and I appear to be averaging between $3 and $6 a disk. Even when I went a bit overboard to get the PAL versions of Peter Gunn from overseas I only ended up spending about $8 a disk. I just picked up all of Star Trek DS9 for just under $6 a disk (typically considered one of the higher priced franchises). And I believe I picked up my Twilight Zones for no more then $5 a disk. So $70 for Thriller doesn't seem unreasonable based on what I've been spending per disk..

I do agree in that it does look like the best days of TV DVD releases are behind us, which is the reason I have been so aggressive in my purchases over the last few years. I buy plenty of obscure stuff, so we will have to wait and see if this is one of them based on sales over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks