What's new

Thinking of installing our first home theater in our family room (1 Viewer)

superboiler

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
Plasma in the corner one stand (see image)

http://webpages.charter.net/beachfam/Images/speaker.bmp

Room is about about 20 by 13 ft or 6 m x 3.9 m
Need small speakers that must be black - will probably mount on wall up high

Questions:
- 2.1 or 5.1?
- Can I use a 5.1 receiver for 2.1?
- speaker placement recommendations?
- speaker recommendations - I am looking for very small black speakers. They will likely be mounted up on the wall and must be small and unobtrusive. I was thinking of maybe Mirage Nanostat 5.1 system

I would like to spend around $500 but the key is the system must be small and not dominate in the room.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
- I'd try for 5.1 unless placement makes it impossible.
- Yes. You can even use a 7.1 receiver for 2.1 or 5.1. They are flexible.
- That is difficult. I think that the Dolby labs site had some corner placement recommendations. If it wasn't that site, I've seen sites with recommendations. I've never had to deal with that issue so I've done no research.
- Speaker choice is very personal so audition as many as possible.

-Robert

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

I would try for a 5.1 system however I have used a 2.1 and 3.1 system instead of the full 5.1 and have been pleased with the result. If you go 2.1 or 3.1 you need to have the mains on either side of the TV with the center directly above or below and tilt the speaker so it is "aimed" at your primary watching area for the best result. If you go for 5.1 you have a couple of options one is to decide what your primary watching area is and mount your speakers above and behind that area or if you want to include your other seating area you can mount the speakers on either side of the seating area just above and behind those areas.

As for speakers I won't go there due to how personal a choice a speaker can be. If all you are going for is small form factor and black then if your happy with the Nanosat I say go for it. Have you given any consideration to where you are going to place your sub?

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks