What's new

"The Wonder Years" on DVD (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
An unfortunate thing about The Wonder Years is that even during the original run would they sometimes go back and re-edit the episodes.
In the original airing of the pilot episode (as seen at the end of Super Bowl XXII); Arye Gross did the narration, but when it aired again, the narration was redubbed by Daniel Stern, who also did the narration for the rest of the run.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Trust me, I'm not all that interested or concerned.  I've got what I want from off the air recordings, but I'd still rather have uncut, pristine copies from an official release.  But the music in each episode is far too important for me to accept substitutes in most cases.  I've made my peace with this show a long time ago.

Gary "I don't believe there's a more complicated, music filled show (and that includes WKRP) than this series - I don't think it will ever see an unedited commercial dvd release" O.
Yup, "Wonder Years" is probably in a class by itself in that regard. The one I also want "China Beach" may not have as many music rights issues, but it looks like it is just as unlikely to ever be released in a form worth owning. Unfortunately.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can live without it on dvd. After watching nearly a dozen episodes, I realize it just doesn't grab me when I watched it first run. I don't even think I'll continue to watch it on Netflix. To me it has lost it's magic.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
An unfortunate thing about The Wonder Years is that even during the original run would they sometimes go back and re-edit the episodes.
In the original airing of the pilot episode (as seen at the end of Super Bowl XXII); Arye Gross did the narration, but when it aired again, the narration was redubbed by Daniel Stern, who also did the narration for the rest of the run.
That's not the same thing. Certainly most shows are tweaked early in their run, especially the pilot.
The pilot after the Super Bowl is too long ago for me (or anyone) to remember. Obviously something happened and they got Stern (who after watching the show during its run, can't imagine other narration).
Also, you can catch the show on Hub and the music is intact on the episodes that I have seen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Take back what I said about The Wonder Years. It NEEDS to be on dvd!!
I skipped ahead to the fourth season on Netflix(The one I was most familiar with) and watched an excellent episode. Winnie is going through changes, and Kevin is left confused. Toward the end of the episode She is in a car accident, Kevin goes to visit her after she gets home from the hospital. Although she doesn't want to see Kevin, he sneeks up to her room and she sees him through the window. Kevin mouths the words "I Love You" to her, and she says it back to him, and smiles.
I was in tears. Never has a tv episode conveyed young love, innocence, and change like this ep did. I loved it.
Long live the Wonder Years.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits posted this piece of potential good news today:

Speaking of TV, our very own Jeff Kleist just noticed that episodes of The Wonder Years began appearing on Netflix over the last few weeks, suggesting that Fox may finally have cleared most of the music rights for home video use. There are apparently still a few missing tracks, but the vast majority of the songs are intact. Could the show be on the way to DVD as well? Possibly. We'll post updates when available.

RogerTheHat

Auditioning
Real Name
C B
yep....Great Ep in Season #4 "The Accident" (with Bob Seger's We Got Tonight playing) along with Season #3's "Goodbye".......Kevin: "..You don't have to grade it, its an "A".............Good job, Mr. Collins !!" Its funny, I used the "you don't have to grade it, its an "A" quote not too long ago with a Professor at college as I turned in my final exam, leaving the classroom for the last time.....

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
WillG said:
Not to mention that apparently they couldn't even manage to secure the DVD rights for a lot of music on "My Name is Earl" a show that is only two seasons old.
Yet, its "cousin," "Raising Hope" from what I've seen had its music intact on the Season One set...I haven't got the S2 one yet so I dunno if that changed.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't notice any replacements on the season 2 set. Thunderstruck was intact as well as You Can't Always Get What You Want. Those both played for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks