What's new

The Warner Chat 5/7: Official Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, someone did ask the question about WB's older catalog; here's the question and response . . . . .

"DennyW" Any Plans for DVD releases (or other delivery methods) for the 1950s-1960's B&W WB TV Library such as the various Detective and Western Series,or is the focus for WHV TV when it comes to classics more for the 1970's-1980's programs. I for one support,and wouldn't mind at least a "Television Favorites" DVD on some of those shows - I enjoyed the MAVERICK release.

"Warner_Brothers" We do have a great library of classic westerns and detective series. We will continue to consider these and hope to be able to release more in the future but it is hard to make the financials work. on a positive note, we do have the second (and final) season release of F-Troop coming out 5/29!

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Gary, I wasn't able to attend the chat myself, unfortunately. A quick scan of the people posting in this thread told me all I needed to know regarding the possibility of any discussion over Warner classics from the 50s-60s catalog. Maybe next time.

Update--OK, I wrote too soon seeing that dependable vintage tv fan Bob posted just as I was composing this.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Great, Bob. Thanks for that info. I had to leave the chat early and I couldn't find the transcript so I was assuming no one asked, but it sounds like someone ask a great, well worded question. I am sorry that it looks like WB doesn't have any real plans to do anything with these. And their answer doesn't bode well for any releases in the future because they say "finances" are the issue [i.e. they don't think they'll get a good return for their investment]. If that's an issue now, it's only going to get worse as each day passes because the people that would buy these series aren't getting any younger, and we can't count on the younger generation suddenly changing their preferences and wanting to buy these type releases. So I'd say we are in a no win situation and we shouldn't ever expect to see these series released.

Gary "it's really is a shame - I wish a follow up question could have been asked about them renting these series out to other companies like IMAGE or SHOUT FACTORY" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Precisely the same conclusion I drew after reading Warners response. How can the financial picture possibly improve over time? Only option I see at this point is licensing to Shout! Factory or Image.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I was going to ask about Maverick but I thought it covered in a response before mine so I switched. Others asked again about it more specifically. I do think this show would be a better seller than Cheyenne, not that I dislike that show, but I think it has wider appeal, accessibility and knowledge of in later generations of viewers plus James Garner is a double icon with Rockford Files, popular enough to get to Season 4 by now and then there is the Donner film which could use a rerelease, a cross promotion should happen. Warner, please do not judge this series by the TV Favorites or the sales of other Western series. I do think more Western series are needed and I know people want Sugarfoot desperately but Maverick is more wanted.

About Static Shock, I know I was not alone in not supporting this release in waiting for Season sets as they have released several one off releases of other Super Hero series only to later release season or multi disc volume sets. Please consider the Webisodes for Gotham Girls and Lobo for DVD or as special features or similar based sets and the Adult Swim Aquaman series that did not air in the US.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see that Jetsons (80's) as well as Courtship of Eddie's Father is being considered for possible release. I'm just surprised that Warner hasn't finished releasing the Dukes of Hazzard series with Dukes of Hazzard Reunion movie or the Dukes of Hazzard Go Hollywood (2nd Reunion) movie to DVD yet since they weren't included on any of the Season sets.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I would've also asked about the classic WB detective shows (77 Sunset Strip and all that followed), but my home PC is being repaired right now! If only FOX were to have its own online chat, I'd ask about Batman, Peyton Place, The Green Hornet, Julia, and Room 222!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I really wish that the big studios would follow Paramount's lead and at least test the waters with half season releases of the vintage shows. Gary, your theory of Paramount's black & white half seasons in another thread made a lot of sense to me. At least a half season release would give you substantially more episodes than Warner's "Television Favorites" where there were only three hour shows represented for shows like "Maverick" and "Cheyenne" (both of which I supported). It would be a fairer way to evaluate a series' market potential. If it sells well, ala Perry Mason, the studio can continue to release the half season sets. If it doesn't sell, then the studio can cut its losses, but fans still have at least a healthy sampling of episodes.

Bob "Takin' a nod from Gary OS . . . I'll continue to support Paramount's classic/vintage TV-on-DVD releases, 'cause at least they're trying." Hug

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Good for you, Bob! I too would like to see WB at least run with some half-season sets of these older Westerns and Detective series. No need even for fancy extras, just give us a few of these shows to test the waters. Paramount has obviously found some type of niche for these classics, so why not Warner Brothers?

Gary "and Bob, I do believe Paramount deserves our support for anything vintage they release because as you said, at least they are trying - are you listening WB?" O.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Aside from more "Knots," the only shows I'm interested in are the black and white ones. It's sad that this market is being ignored.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
Thanks to everyone who participated in the chat, especially Warners.

As a consumer who has been quite disappointed with the way Warner has been sluggishly releasing some of its TV Shows on DVD, I have to say that general consumers like myself really don't have any info regarding how corporate decides what gets released and what doesn't.

All many of us consumers know is that on a show like KNOTS LANDING, which is in high demand for many due to the success of the later seasons, we see that on many lists such as Best Buy, Amazon, Video Business, Knots Season One DID make the top ten the week of its release so often, many of us are dumbfounded when subsequent seasons go unplanned.

Perhaps Warner was expecting more long term sales or even their expected projections were not met. However, on a show like Knots, one would hope that consideration would be given to the following...

1) Knots lasted 13 seasons for a reason but was not a success right out of the starting gate. It took at least 3-5 seasons for the show to hit its stride but the network gave it space to find and build an audience, which one would hope Warners will do for the dvd. The second season introduced Donna Mills and further highly in demand seasons brought in veteran actors such as ALEC BALDWIN, NICOLLETTE SHERIDAN, KEVIN DOBSON and BILL DEVANE. These were the actors who helped make the show successful and for the dvd to become equally successful, the seasons featuring the cast which made the show popular need to be released but to get to them, the earlier seasons need to be released first. Can sales be adjusted or gaged accordingly?

2) I'm not sure what Warner's sales projections were but two major factors need to be considered when building projected sales figures: One, the amount of episodes on the dvd vs the price being charged. Knots Season One only featured 13 episodes at a retail price of nearly 39.95. That's the same price charged for DALLAS with 20 LESS episodes. That's quite a variation. Since Season One was so episode light, perhaps either a less retail price should have been charged OR package Season One and Two Together.

3) Packaging two seasons in one set for the seasons (13 + 13) which do NOT figure in the standard 20 + episodes might also help generate sales and also speed up releasing the later seasons when the show became immensely popular and finally hit its stride.

Once again, I'd like to thank Warners for the chat and as stated above, Knots was a successful show but no where near as successful as Dallas. Again, To gage Knots sales by the sales figures of Dallas may not be fair. It took a couple of seasons for the show to hit its stride but the network was patient and built a cast which took 3 seasons and more to make the show successful. I hope Warners takes that into consideration when building their own projected sales numbers.

A show like Knots is part of American Soap Culture and should be released on dvd not only for the fans but also for historic pop culture reference. Give the show a chance, perhaps double up on seasons and clearly feature the IN DEMAND actors on the cover and it will find its audience as later seasons proved during its initial broadcast run.

Bring on MORE KNOTS LANDING!!!!!
CONSIDER RELEASING THE FULL SHOW LIKE GET SMART WAS RELEASED!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here! Also glad to hear they are considering Looney Tunes for HD release at some point. Thanks WB!!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Good to hear the 80s Jetsons is being considered. Too bad no one asked about Jetsons Meet the Flintstones. That's one title I'd like to see.

And I'm glad we have a reason for the delay in the remaining Fresh Prince episodes. They released the first four seasons fairly quickly, so I was wondering if we'd see the last two. Looks like they're trying to get them out.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
PS. It should also go noted that KNOTS LANDING SEASON 2 was another season which features only 15 episodes.

Once again, if this season is released to test the waters for subsequent releases, while it will probably sell more due to Donna Mills arrival as the infamous Abby Cunningham, price point vs the amount of episodes included in the release just may be the deciding factor for many consumers 'On The Fence' about purchasing the release.

To charge a regular retail price (the same as Dallas) for half the episodes may turn off the general consumer, who may be waiting for full 20+ episode sets. So, if Warner is even 'considering' testing the waters again with this series, to encourage sales, Warner may want to use a more affordable retail price for such a small season of episodes OR, do the more practical and release Seasons 2 & 3 together.

As a fan and consumer, I would prefer the latter. I would GLADLY pay a higher retail price for double seasons because not only does this hurry the popular seasons down the road but Season 3 was when the show began to rapidly gain viewership. Abby Cunningham did not appear until mid season 2 and her character really didn't shine until one of the main cast was killed off in Season 3.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've gone from disappointment to full-fledged rage over their apparent apathy to the Mama's Family fiasco. "That's all we own," "That's all we own," blah blah blah blah. BUY THE UNCUT TAPES OUTRIGHT if you must.

I'm getting fed up with TV shows on DVD in total. I'm dangerously close to giving up on the whole wretched thing.

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Did anyone ask about Max Headroom? I scanned the transcript quickly but did not remember seeing any mention of the show.

Thanks.

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
I am extremely disappointed that Homefront is basically listed as "doubtful". It is my most wanted DVD and I would buy it at any price.

It is encouraging to know that they realize the fan base that is out there for the show even after all these years.

Music clearance - sigh!

Robin

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, I completely agree with you re. Knots Landing but I think we have to accept that some of the people involved with bringing out TV shows on DVD are just linear bean counters with no genuine affinity for the products they're releasing.

So buy copies of season 1 as gifts for relatives and friends. Spread the word and get people tuned into this brilliant series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks