What's new

The unofficial (so far) fall schedules thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with CBS.

Like NBC, CBS is doing fairly well and not losing a lot of stalwarts. Glad to see "The Amazing Race" and "The Agency" returning.

I've got to admit, I'm disappointed in the new shows. Understand, most of them look like good shows, but there were three lines in the list-o-pilots I wanted to see: "Jo" with Andie McDowell, "Life Of The Party" with Nathan Lane, and especially "Dragans Of New York" with Hugh Laurie & Liz Vassey. Maybe the pilots stank, or maybe some will appear mid-season.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Stargate SG:1 begins June 7 on Fridays at 10... but on SCIFI. With 22 episodes, its schedule should push well into the fall lineups.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think "Stargate SG-1" will be Fridays at 9pm ET, with "Farscape" on at 10pm.

Also, it appears that "Firefly" is being bumped to midseason - pilot problems; Fox apparently wants more action. I'm wondering if this could push the cost of the pilot over $20M. Supposedly, Fox is thinking of giving it a theatrical release overseas; at that price, they may have to do so in the U.S., as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, the pilot I'm most interested in is Birds of Prey. While it appears to have all the trappings of Charmed set in Batman, it's by the people who did Smallville and I said that was Dawson's Creek set in Superman.

And now Smallville is my favorite show. I'm glad they're putting BoP on Wenesdays too. There's nothing I like on Wenesday.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Funky co-incidences so far:

ABC and WB each have a show about a guy in his thirties somehow being thrown back in time to when he was in high school, "Do Over" and "That Was Then". Supposedly, the presentations to advertisers were extraordinarily similar.

CBS and ABC both have scheduled their San Francisco-based medical dramas for Wednesday at 10pm. For CBS, this is nothing new; both "Chicago Hope" and "ER" premiered in the same slot (perhaps the same night), though CBS quickly moved "Hope".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I read a news article on the WB upfront today that had "Angel" and "Charmed" switched on Sunday: "Angel" at 8pm and "Charmed" at 9pm. Anyone confirm which is correct? I hope it's as is in this thread, since "Angel" and "The Simpsons" both at 8pm would be rude. :D
EDIT: And to further muddy the waters, over at MSNBC, there's a grid showing WB with a 3-hour Sunday prime time with "Gilmore Girls: Beginnings" at 8, followed by "Charmed" at 9, and "Angel" at 10. Of course, reading further down in the text, they discuss FOX moving "Malcolm in the Middle" to Sundays at 9, where it'll face..."Angel" on the WB. I'm totally befuddled.

Chris M

Second Unit
I really enjoyed Dinotopia... it should be interesting to see what the TV series is like. It'll probably fall flat after we've already done all the character build-up, but I'm still excited to see how it'll go.

Chris.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with UPN. They've apparently given up programming Friday night but won't admit it.

Not much to say; UPN still strikes me less as a real network than as a group of syndication blocks. I worry about "The Twilight Zone", because it's from the guys who did MGM/Showtime/Sci-Fi's "Outer Limits" - not a bad show, but the downer ending got predictable, and many of the stories seemed just a bit too thin for an hour timeslot.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
As a big fan of "Just shoot me", I wish NBC would move it to the time-slot after "Frasier". That'd be a great Tuesday for me (for some reason, I can't get used to watching the 7:30PM slot that day). :) I also think it would do better there.
When is FOX coming out with their schedule? Assuming "That 70's show" stays in the same time-slot, the only TV-nights for me now are Sunday (HBO, "Simpsons" and "Becker"), Tuesday ("That 70's show", "Frasier", "Just shoot me") and Thursday ("Survivor", "Friends", "Will and Grace"). Woohoo, 4 nights a week with no TV! :)
/Mike

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
...And Fox.

This schedule really drives me nuts; there's a lot of high-level talent involved, but nothing new that grabs me. "Firefly", for instance, is getting a new pilot (and has already had recasting and reshoots), despite the one it has being the most expensive ever. Joss Whedon has a history of being somewhat thin-skinned (or, at least, being willing to talk about his frustration rather than keep it in), so this bodes ill, either because it means the network will maul it or because it really wasn't that good to start out with.

"Fastlane" looks pretty stupid, but it's written/produced by John MacNamara, who really should have been the 90s' Steven J. Cannell - he's had a string of good shows that never connected with the public. So I'm wary there.

David E. Kelly has a new series, "Girls Club", that looks like it could easily be "Ally McBeal" redux, but without the unusual storytelling techniques.

And that Sunday schedule... ReplayTV will be great, since I only have interest in every other show ("Futurama", "Simpsons", "Malcolm").

And "Keen Eddie" didn't make the fall, but will be around at midseason. Hopefully it'll take the place of something in the Thursday disaster area.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Okay, we've got the list, now what do you plan on watching?
For me:
Sunday: "Futurama", "The Simpsons", "Charmed", "Alias", "Malcolm In The Middle", "Law & Order: Criminal Intent", "Angel", "Boomtown"
This is nuts. "Charmed" has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, but it managed to pull off an almost impossible task this year, smoothly replacing its top-billed star despite a premise that made that seem impossible. The 9pm logjam is ugly; I could very easily see things being moved out of there, but there's nothing I want to give up. "Boomtown" looks like it has potential - sort of like the late, lamented "Big Apple" only with politics added.
Monday: "Boston Public", "Dragnet" (January), "Girls Club", "Crossing Jordan"
Sadly, Kelly opted to set "Girls Club" in SF, so the nights of Bostonians playing "location/stock footage/double" on exteriors all night are over. I'll give "Girls Club" a quick look, and probably drop it for Dick Wolf's "Dragnet" after football.
Tuesday: "In-Laws", "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Gilmore Girls", "Life With Bonnie", "24", "Smallville"
"That 70s Show" fell victim to the Tuesday night crush this year, and to be honest, the other sitcoms probably will this fall, but I want to give Dennis Farina and Bonnie Hunt a chance (Paula Marshall, too, but I doubt that). "Buffy" has fallen off a cliff this year, but could rebound. "24" depends on the producers not mangling what made it interesting in the first place.
Wednesday: "Enterprise", "The Amazing Race 3", "Fastlane", "The Twilight Zone", "Birds Of Prey", "Law & Order"
Well, Wednesday 9pm sure snuck up on me. I've become an "Amazing Race" addict, I'll try "Fastlane" because MacNamara is writing, "Birds Of Prey" is getting the same advance buzz "Smallville" had, and "The Twilight Zone" could satisfy my SF-short-stories craving. Please, guys, move something.
Thursday: "Family Affair", "Septuplets", "Without a Trace"
And, honestly, I could drop all three. "Family Affair" has Tim Curry, "Without a Trace" has a keen premise and cast, and "Septuplets" is one I'm expecting to be a train wreck that's fun to watch derail (too damn many characters, especially once the seven kids get boyfriends/girlfriends)
Friday: "Firefly", "What I Like About You", "That Was Then", "Hack", "John Doe", "RHD/LA", "Law & Order: SVU"
...But it'll probably drop to "Firefly" and "L&O:SVU". "That Was Then" depends on whether they play up the paradox angle or not; "Hack" and "RHD/LA" both have very good casts and creative teams, but could go awry; "John Doe" merits a look just in case it's not as silly as it seems; "What I Like About You" seems well-cast, at least. And, of course, "Farscape" on Sci-Fi
Saturday: "The Agency"
Nobody but CBS is even trying any more. But I like "The Agency"; probably wind up watching it Sunday mornings.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So "That 80's show" didn't make it, huh? Too bad, I liked it.
Any guesses about which shows will be cancelled after 3 episodes? :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Man, you're watching a lot of TV. So far, I haven't seen anything new that seems interesting, so I'll stick to what I watched this year (see last message on previous page for that).

How much do you bet that the TV-critics will have a field day with the title "Without a trace"?

/Mike

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I sample a lot, but half of the new shows I listed will probably get dropped (voluntarily or otherwise :)). It comes from having no taste - I know some people who limit themselves to/exclude certain genres, but I'll try just about anything, and I have trouble dropping things before threads are tied up.
(The latter is actually a much bigger problem with comics than TV, though. It's scary when you realize you're spending $50/week on them and can't decide how to thin the heard)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
UPN is hardly a network: two hours of programming five nights a week. Two of those nights are WWE and a movie. That leaves their Monday comedy block, their only legit bit of programming; and their two "signature" shows, Buffy and Enterprise, which anchor the other nights, each followed by Shows Nobody Will Watch.

At least Tuesday at 9 has eased up a bit for me. Instead of four shows, there's just two, now that NYPD Blue has moved back to 10, and Roswell is over (at least there was a satisfying finale).

But now on Wednesday, there's The West Wing and Birds of Prey. Any word on if the latter is any good? (It has Dina Meyer....)

//Ken

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I will add to my list of shows (Alias, Buffy, NYPD Blue, Friends, CSI and ER) Firefly and Birds of Prey. We will see if one those sticks!

edited to add CSI as a show I watch each week.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on "Greg the Bunny"? I didn't see any reference to it on Fox's schedule. Did it get canceled?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The only shows that I liked that were recently cancelled were That 80's Show, Andy Richter (they say it'll be back but I have my doubts), and Politically Incorrect.

SO my TV viewing schedule is as follows (not counting baseball season):

Sunday

7pm Futurama (FOX)

8pm Simpsons (FOX)

9pm Angel (WB)

9pm Six Feet Under (HBO) tape or watch later in the week

Monday

8:30 Yes Dear (CBS) because the woman who plays Kim reminds me of a girl I had a crush on.

11pm The Daily Show (CC) tape

Tuesday

8pm Buffy the Vampire Slayer (UPN)

8pm That 70's Show (FOX) tape

Wednesday

9pm The Amazing Race (CBS)

9pm The West Wing (NBC) tape

10pm South Park (CC)

Thursday

8pm Survivor (CBS)

8pm Friends (NBC) tape

8:30 Scrubs (NBC) tape

Friday

8pm Firefly (FOX)

11:30 Dennis Miller (HBO) tape

Saturday

11:35 SNL (NBC) tape

And I'll watch new episodes of The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Justice League when they are on.

I think all the DVDs I've bought that I didn't get around to watching will come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks