What's new

Blu-ray Review The Sword in the Stone Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The Academy Ratio was the original aspect ratio from the beginning. It wasn't until later, in 1953, that widescreen was introduced. So every theater at the time Sword in the Stone came out, only 10 years later, was capable of showing films in that ratio. It was drawn in Academy ratio, so that it could be shown on TV without cropping it, and shown in widescreen in some, even probably most theaters, but you don't know that all of them were. But I want to watch it in the original aspect ratio, not the original theatrical aspect ratio. Two different things.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Apparently you did not quite comprehend my post, to which you are responding, Joshua, so I'll restate its salient points again: There was not one cinema in the US outside of a handful of art houses (which would never have run Sword in the Stone) that could show Academy. Period. The film was drawn for widescreen presentation - there is no question, no argument, no matter what you want to think. It was PROTECTED for Academy so it could be show on TV without having to zoom in and lose side information. How hard is this to understand? Blu-rays should reflect ALWAYS the original screen aspect ratio that the film was composed for and projected in. I'll wait for someone to bring up Shane and shut them down at that time :) Again, Sword in the Stone's ORIGINAL aspect ratio is widescreen NOT Academy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Much as I like the crew at the Digital Bits, I have to strongly disagree with Tim Salmons' assessment that since this was a 1963 film, it would have been difficult to restore. It's a Disney film, likely produced either in SE or seps being created for printing in Technicolor. Disney's archival programme is well known, and it would be relatively easy to go to the seps and recombine them for an HD master. What has happened here is a prime example of putting a square peg into a round hole i.e. simply mastering and compressing on autopilot, with no respect for the method of animation used.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
Apparently you did not quite comprehend my post, to which you are responding, Joshua, so I'll restate its salient points again: There was not one cinema in the US outside of a handful of art houses (which would never have run Sword in the Stone) that could show Academy. Period. The film was drawn for widescreen presentation - there is no question, no argument, no matter what you want to think. It was PROTECTED for Academy so it could be show on TV without having to zoom in and lose side information. How hard is this to understand? Blu-rays should reflect ALWAYS the original screen aspect ratio that the film was composed for and projected in. I'll wait for someone to bring up Shane and shut them down at that time :) Again, Sword in the Stone's ORIGINAL aspect ratio is widescreen NOT Academy.
Bruce: I have commented a few times to you regarding your choice of words in response to other forum members, once via a private message.

You are a very talented and knowledgeable man, and I have always appreciated the information you have to share with us. However, you seem sometimes to find it difficult to reply to the posts of other members with whom you disagree without striking a bullying/condescending tone. The line above, "How hard is this to understand?," is an example of this. The smiley you add does not negate the tone of your response. A number of other members have commented about this. The fact that you and Robert A. are in mutual agreement about most (if not all) issues is no excuse. Mr. Harris is always respectful to other members in his posts and you will not find any from him that are disrespectful, unlike a number of yours.

HTF has traditionally been a place where people can express their opinions about something without being made to feel foolish or ignorant for doing so. I have any number of times said stupid things here which have been proven incorrect, but usually with kindness and tolerance from other members. Remarks such as some of yours here, not uncommon in your posts, would, I think, tend to dissuade some from posting at all.

Once again I respectfully ask that you be more generous to those who have less knowledge about film than you, and reply to their posts with greater empathy and tolerance. I may stand alone in asking you this, but I feel fairly certain I am not the only member who feels this way.

With admiration, Dick

Many thanks.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Blu-rays should reflect ALWAYS the original screen aspect ratio that the film was composed for and projected in.
I fully agree. It's a bit tiring to argue about the "theatrical ratio" vs "open matte 4:3" every single time when some Disney title is being released. Open matte has "more info" EVERY SINGLE TIME. That alone doesn't make it a preferable way to see films.

In a perfect world (we all know that 50gb Blu-ray disc has enough space) we would get a menu with 2 versions:
-Theatrical (1.66:1 vs 1.75:1 vs 1.85:1 - another debate)
-Home video (Open matte 1.33:1)

But we all know that this probably won't happen.

phibbus

Auditioning
Real Name
Phib
haineshisway said:
There was not one cinema in the US outside of a handful of art houses (which would never have run Sword in the Stone) that could show Academy. Period.
???
Every theater in the US (except for the handful tooled for Todd-AO or other esoteric format) was capable of and regularly did project 1.37:1. Had to for re-releases.
The film was drawn for widescreen presentation - there is no question, no argument, no matter what you want to think.
No, it was drawn in 1.37:1
It was PROTECTED for Academy so it could be show on TV without having to zoom in and lose side information. How hard is this to understand? Blu-rays should reflect ALWAYS the original screen aspect ratio that the film was composed for and projected in.
Theaters were delivered 1.37:1 prints with the option of projecting them at any ratio they chose. The package and lead real suggested the highly irregular 1.75:1, which almost every theater would have ignored. My father projected it at a major Philadelphia theater at Acedemy on release (because he said it looked like crap when they did it at 1.85:1.)
I'll wait for someone to bring up Shane and shut them down at that time :) Again, Sword in the Stone's ORIGINAL aspect ratio is widescreen NOT Academy.
Whether intended or not, this BD represents the first time ever that the film has been put on media at 1.75:1 (or anything other than Academy.)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
With The Black Cauldron released on BD, and Robert Harris telling me "They are aware," about the issues with the original BD image on The Sword and the Stone, any hope Disney will revisit this title with a fresh pass at the original elements?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
With The Black Cauldron released on BD, and Robert Harris telling me "They are aware," about the issues with the original BD image on The Sword and the Stone, any hope Disney will revisit this title with a fresh pass at the original elements?
It’s already been redone. Complete with original grain structure and none of the smeary DNR, also in 4K and HDR. Just not on disc yet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I grew up watching The Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood, both of which I would rate as two of Disney’s best animated movies. Different strokes…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks