What's new

The Spaghetti Western (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
Has Grindhouse Releasing announced a release date for their blu-ray of THE BIG GUNDOWN ? I'm glad they are back in business, but I doubt if their blu-ray will be competitive. I wouldn't wait too long to get the German edition. It gets rave reviews everywhere and the film's reputation is on the upswing. It's also a limited edition.

And it looks pretty badassed. I know nothing about it, but the trailer sold me:

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I don't think a date has been set for Grindhouse Releasing's version, but I'm hoping that it'll be one of the "end of 2013" titles. I just hate importing when there's possibly an imminent US release that could rival what's out there.

It looks like the German version was released October 2012...you guys are tempting me. Grindhouse Releasing's 1st blu-ray will be in September...so 4 months away.. I'm hoping that the German release is out there at least long enough for me to find out how good or bad Grindhouse's first blu-rays will be. If we don't have a date by then, or if the reviews aren't great, then I might grab the German one.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
BigGundown-1968-ItalianA.jpg
BigGundown-1968-ItalianB.jpg

BigGundown-1968-Spain.jpg

I could be wrong, but September may be too long to wait.

Grindhouse Releasing has CORRUPTION (1968) and AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISREAL (1972) slated for blu-ray release September 10, 2013. It would be unlike them to release two more films in the same year. Their last DVD was in 2009, they had one in 2008, and a couple in 2006. Mostly they were a gore & splatter company that kept repackaging the same three or four titles over and over again (I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, CANNIBAL FEROX, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, THE BEYOND) in association with Image, Ryko, and Anchor Bay.

I am surprised at their acquisition of THE SWIMMER (1967) and THE BIG GUNDOWN. Neither are grindhouse or exploitation films. If they do come out with THE BIG GUNDOWN in 2014, it would probably be after Explosive Media's region-free, Limited Edition blu-ray has sold out. There's no guarantee Grindhouse Releasing will have licensed the uncut restoration.How do we know they won't be releasing the earlier transfer Koch released in Germany? That was uncut, but not a 4K scan. Unless you can get a statement from them on what they have planned and when, I'd grab the Explosive Media blu-ray while it's still easy to get.

BigGundown-1966-Columbia-one.jpg

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I wish that I knew the source of this quote on Wikipedia for The Big Gundown, so that I might obtain more information:

Grindhouse Releasing, in association with original rights holder Columbia Pictures/Sony, is currently working on a digital restoration of film, including the full unedited director's cut for release on Blu-ray in the United States.

In their comeback publicity they mentioned "with a stunning new HD remaster of the original uncensored 110 minute director's cut and loads of extras" for The Big Gundown.

With Grindhouse's spotty release schedule, I don't want to miss out. Maybe I can sell the German version if the Grindhouse release is somehow better.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
WadeM,

I've just read a Grindhouse Release press release that talks about the renewal of the company and their extensive plans which include bringing THE SWIMMER and THE BIG GUNDOWN blu-rays to the USA next year. Sounds definite. But you have at least a year to wait.

I'm looking for Ferdinando Baldi's BLINDMAN (Italy | Spain, 1971) with Ringo Starr. The Koch Media edition is the one to get with a supplement on the director but it's out of print and I cant find one at a sane, affordable price. There appears to be an Australian edition, however, pictured here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/323891-blindman-italy-spain-1971-with-ringo-starr/

Has anyone seen this edition and can you confirm the stats on the back cover? how is the picture quality?

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Professor Echo said:
I agree with Wade about the KARL MAY movie adaptations from Germany. They are very entertaining and nice DVDs. I only wish the rest of the series had English subs.
I watched these films on DVD a few years back and wrote a short feature on them - The Karl May Westerns. Would love to see them on Blu-ray, is there a list of which titles include English audio/subtitle options - I remember some of the German DVDs advertised English options but did not include it. Thanks.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So any word about Wild East's Sartana box? The date they had listed for the pre-orders has come and gone and narly a peep. I was wondering if anyone else had heard news.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Anybody know if there is a good version of Any Gun Can Play available or what the best version of it is that's out there? Obviously, I'd love a blu-ray but there does not seem to be one.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
These are the best available for now:

Thanks, Brent. Looks like the VCI versions are no longer available or never were, I don't even see any secondary sellers with those. It seems there are some copies of the Pegasus version available. I did find a mention somewhere that Any Gun Can Play may be getting a German blu-ray release so I will probably just wait to see if that happens. That seems probably the most likely place for it to appear.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is a lot of good info here and many titles mentioned have of course found their way to Blu-ray. This is a good place to start if you want to tuck into a big bowl of pasta west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks