What's new

The room is coming together. need advice (1 Viewer)

joeyfine

Agent
Real Name
Joseph Finelli
Thanks guys,

my speaker wire is a few feet away from the electrical wire. thanks for you help! insulation and drywall are going up this week.

jcieutat

Auditioning
Real Name
John
After reading this thread, I have a question. I am about to start an addition on my home. While it was supposed to be a playroom for my two girls, I have talked the wife into a home theater/playroom!! I will be wiring it myself and will house all the audio/video equipment in a closet. The closet will only be 24" wide. Would it be o.k. to drop the a/v lines on one side and the electrical lines on the other? Technically they will be running parallel but will be almost 2' apart.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That would be fine. They only need a few inches of separation to completely eliminate any chance of interference.

joeyfine

Agent
Real Name
Joseph Finelli
hey guys. i need speaker brackets to mount on the walls. can anyone tell me a good one for my energy take 5 speaker set?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Measure the width of the seats used in the 2nd row, add a little bit and that's how wide your riser is. Put the seats behind the first row, measure from the back of the seats to the back of the first row and that is the depth of your riser. You want it 6" high so use 2x6's to build the frame. Add joists just like you would for any floor. Cover it with plywood or OSB. Carpet or paint. Put your 2nd row on the riser. Enjoy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
When determining your riser height, take into account that you only have a seven foot ceiling and a projector hanging from it.

Eva2100

Auditioning
Real Name
Eva Qin
good wish to you..i hope you can solve your problem as soon as you can..

wang888

Auditioning
Real Name
wang
just finished insulating the walls today. pictures are up at facebook if you have any comments of questions!

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Especially since you already have your seating, I would strongly suggest building a temporary platform to put your back row of seating on and make sure that the back row is not obstructed at all (by either the projector or the front row of seating/viewers).

In my basement theater, I had a few limiting factors like a soffit in the front that limited the screen height and a 7'8" ceiling (before furring and drywall) that limited the riser height. I ended up with a 12" riser after carefully measuring sight lines from the back row of seating.

wang888

Auditioning
Real Name
wang
Buy the projector 1st...then buy a screen to match the projector.

Also, ideally your front and center speakers will be placed at ear level. Your surrounds are good at 6' high.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow! its coming along nicely. Are you going to do the same carpet on the riser? That drop in ceiling is going to come in handy when it comes time to pull new cables for phase three and beyond! On post 32 on your last picture you can see a pretty large cutout in the wall. What is in it that you need access to? I can see something, I just don't know what it is.

joeyfine

Agent
Real Name
Joseph Finelli

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Wow! its coming along nicely. Are you going to do the same carpet on the riser? That drop in ceiling is going to come in handy when it comes time to pull new cables for phase three and beyond! On post 32 on your last picture you can see a pretty large cutout in the wall. What is in it that you need access to? I can see something, I just don't know what it is.

Hey thanks,

yes the riser will be carpeted the same as the whole room. the cut out is an access to a water meter. i am building a door and frame for it. it will look nice when it is done. we just put the TV up today. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

joeyfine

Agent
Real Name
Joseph Finelli
Well the TV has been mounted along with the speakers and light coverings have been installed. hooked up the mic and calibrated the receiver and now we are good to go!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
TV on the wall...a major milestone. Congratulations! Looking at your L and R speakers, I think you would get better sound in the room if you moved them closer to the display and pointed them strait out. The way they are now, you are basically focusing the sound into a very narrow sweet spot, which is great for you if you are sitting front and center, but its doing a disservice to all the other seats. You can't just straiten them where they are as the side wall and soffit would cause problems. Just something to think about.

joeyfine

Agent
Real Name
Joseph Finelli
thanks for the input. i will see what i can do with the speakers. i just installed the dimmer switches for the two sections of the room. carpet people are coming tomorrow to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks