What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
AnthonyClarke said:
THE DATE HAS NOW BEEN ADDED TO THE AMAZON SITE LISTING... Its release date is shown as April 29.
So I guess it's official! And not that far off at all.
The new street date is consistent with the fact that "Oklahoma!" is showing theatrically via TCM's 2014 Film Festival on the 10th...glad to know it's coming ot so soon!!! :dance:

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Remember when Fox announced the Marilyn Monroe Collection BD box sets??? ALL of those titles made it out individually in short order and I expect the same with the R&H catalog...I would NOT be surprised if they're announced as such over the next few weeks or months...

Broadwayboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I'm not sure the reordering of the scenes in the SOUTH PACIFIC movie was Logan's revenge against Rodgers and Hammerstein. They were active producers on the movie, after all. I think S.P. and Oklahoma! were the only two movies they produced.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Fox Connect is having a 50% off sale today only 3/20/2014. I don't see this set listed yet but sometimes it is hard find what you are looking for at Fox Connect. If anyone finds this set today at Fox Connect please post a link.

Thanks

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Garysb said:
Fox Connect is having a 50% off sale today only 3/20/2014. I don't see this set listed yet but sometimes it is hard find what you are looking for at Fox Connect. If anyone finds this set today at Fox Connect please post a link.

Thanks
It says below the promo code "up to $100"

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Rick Thompson said:
The South Pacific film was the first step of Joshua Logan's downward slide. Five flop musicals -- three on Broadway (All American, Mr. President and Look to the Lillies) and two on film (Camelot and megabomb Paint Your Wagon) -- followed.
He had another musical flop that never made it to Broadway, Bette Davis in Miss Moffat.However, he did have a success in 1961 with the movie version of Fanny, which could be called a film of one of his Broadway musicals, except they cut out all the songs!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Joe Lugoff said:
He had another musical flop that never made it to Broadway, Bette Davis in Miss Moffat.However, he did have a success in 1961 with the movie version of Fanny, which could be called a film of one of his Broadway musicals, except they cut out all the songs!
Billy WIlder did the same thing with Irma la Douce. In both cases, many of the songs wound up as background scoring.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Rick Thompson said:
Billy WIlder did the same thing with Irma la Douce. In both cases, many of the songs wound up as background scoring.
Irma La Douce is a much favoured musical of mine. The film was ruined by the omission of all the unforgettable songs.It is indeed time for a remake but with all the songs.It seems to be a forgotten musical today .THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS was another much loved musical that suffered in it's transfer from stage to screen. I saw it on Broadway but when the film was released ( shown in 70mm) many of the original songs were missing. I blame Dolly Parton (I understand it was her?) for writing many new songs for the film and ditching many of the original ones..Why do people allow this?. Many people regard SING'N IN THE RAIN as one of the all time greats in musicals but most ,if not all, of the songs were rehashed from old musicals.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Irma" was such a wasted opportunity. They turned the film into a comedic showcase for Jack Lemmon and left that delicious, heartfelt, funny score in the dust. What on EARTH were they thinking...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
seangood79 said:
Yes, even though the number of theaters that can actually have the speakers are limited, they are growing thanks to Atmos. No reason they can't include a 6 channel track along with a 5.1 track for standard theaters.
Todd-AO was as much about the audio as it was the picture, it's a shame such effort was put into making beautiful looking 4Ks of Sound of Music and Lawrence of Arabia, but audiences can't hear these movies as they were originally presented.

PS, since Mr. Harris is watching, I know Lawrence wasn't Todd-AO, and recorded in 4 track, but the prints were 6 channel, am I correct?
Four track. You are correct. As was 2001, with the exception of the final reel.

There is a very fine line between films recorded in full 6-track and those recorded in 4, with ghost channels in positions 2 and 4.

Problem being that few theatres can still run 6-track Todd-AO format. My work preserves assets in original format, and creates modified tracks for modern use.

RAH

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw The Sound of Music and Hello Dolly last year in Bradford both were shown in 70mm DTS/Datasat Special Venue in the original 6 -Track format and
they sounded fantastic..

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
cinerama10 said:
Many people regard SING'N IN THE RAIN as one of the all time greats in musicals but most ,if not all, of the songs were rehashed from old musicals.
It was created with that in mind: using the already existing song catalog of producer/lyricist Arthur Freed in fashioning a musical about the transition from silent to talking pictures. Many of those songs he wrote came from the early years of talkies, so they were completely appropriate for the movie. Two new songs were written for the movie for spots where nothing existing quite fit: "Moses Supposes" and "Make 'Em Laugh."

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Mr. Harris---as always fascinating information. Never knew that 2001 was four track except for the last reel. Was this kind of thing fairly common among the 70mm/six track mixes of the 50's and 60's?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
It was created with that in mind: using the already existing song catalog of producer/lyricist Arthur Freed in fashioning a musical about the transition from silent to talking pictures. Many of those songs he wrote came from the early years of talkies, so they were completely appropriate for the movie. Two new songs were written for the movie for spots where nothing existing quite fit: "Moses Supposes" and "Make 'Em Laugh."
"Make 'Em Laugh" bears more than a passing resemblance to Cole Porter's "Be a Clown" -- so much so that Irving Berlin, upon hearing "Laugh," said it was really "Clown."

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
Irma La Douce is a much favoured musical of mine. The film was ruined by the omission of all the unforgettable songs.It is indeed time for a remake but with all the songs.It seems to be a forgotten musical today .THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS was another much loved musical that suffered in it's transfer from stage to screen. I saw it on Broadway but when the film was released ( shown in 70mm) many of the original songs were missing. I blame Dolly Parton (I understand it was her?) for writing many new songs for the film and ditching many of the original ones..Why do people allow this?
Because film is different than stage. Even Sound of Music cut songs ("No Way to Stop It" and "How Can Love Survive?") replaced one ("Something Good" for "An Ordinary Couple"), added one ("I Have Confidence") and moved two ("My Favorite Things" is sung by Maria and the Mother Abbess in the show; it became a number for Maria and the children during the storm. The Maria-children scene is in the play, but Maria sings "Lonely Goatherd" not "Favorite Things. There is no puppet scene in the play.).

Still it doesn't excuse those mediocre Dolly Parton interpolations into Whorehouse, which ruined the film. Or Samuel Goldwyn cutting what was then the biggest hit in Guys and Dolls ("Bushel and a Peck") because he didn't like the song.

For films closest to the original plot layouts and songs, though still with a cut or two, look at Oklahoma!, 1776, The Pajama Game and Damn Yankees. You'll note in all of those cases, no major stars (except for Doris Day in Pajama, where the original show's director -- who brooked no ego displays -- was in charge) were involved so no attendant egos had to be served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.