What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Rick Thompson said:
"Make 'Em Laugh" bears more than a passing resemblance to Cole Porter's "Be a Clown" -- so much so that Irving Berlin, upon hearing "Laugh," said it was really "Clown."
There's no question that "Make 'Em Laugh" is simply a (close) variation of "Be a Clown." When Berlin was so flabbergasted about the song, Freed wouldn't even own up to having written it to him. He said, "Oh, a bunch of the guys were fooling around." Cole Porter never even acknowledged the existence of the song so there wouldn't be any hard feelings (and a good thing since afterwards MGM mounted his Kiss Me Kate, Silk Stockings, and his score for Les Girls).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Matt Hough said:
There's no question that "Make 'Em Laugh" is simply a (close) variation of "Be a Clown." When Berlin was so flabbergasted about the song, Freed wouldn't even own up to having written it to him. He said, "Oh, a bunch of the guys were fooling around." Cole Porter never even acknowledged the existence of the song so there wouldn't be any hard feelings (and a good thing since afterwards MGM mounted his Kiss Me Kate, Silk Stockings, and his score for Les Girls).
Very true and don't forget High Society.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Rob_Ray said:
I love FLOWER DRUM SONG as well and actually like the phoniness of the soundstage exteriors. Unlike some of the other R&H musicals, it's a light, breezy comedy, and as produced by Ross Hunter, the numbers play like something you'd see on a TV variety show. In fact, much of the movie has the feel of a very opulently produced TV spectacular. The sets play into that feeling and enhance it, and given the fact that's it's a true musical comedy with the emphasis firmly on comedy, I have no problem with it at all.

"Get me a dozen thousand year eggs. And make sure they're fresh!"
Boy what mixed emotions. First I had the biggest surge of happiness, after all, these are supreme musicals, and all of them filmed exquisitely. I had done some writing on South Pacific for a column on another website and had a contact high up in the home vid department who told me the Carousel and The King and I Cinemascope 55 negatives were being restored for these transfers. These films should look absolutely stunning.

The one downer for me was finally seeing the contents of the set. No Flower Drum Song. Fox had worked with Warner Brothers to get "Blazing Saddles" (from Warner Brothers) into the Mel Brooks set, so I wonder if Fox tried to include Flower Drum.

HDnet Movies is currently running a brand new transfer of "Flower Drum Song" and I can't believe how gorgeous the movie looks, also the sound was remastered and is one heck of a soundtrack. I am so familiar with the movie having watched it many many times, I can tell there was a good amount of work done to it. But would Universal release it? NOT!

I just read some rather big news last week, Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Home Video, who was with them for 13 years (or close) was let go and replaced, this has already taken place.I now have some hopes that things will change at Universal Home Video, by releasing NEWLY remastered editions of their catalog, and maybe even some of their musicals on Blu-ray, like Flower Drum Song, Thoroughly Modern Millie, or Sweet Charity. And of course the newer musicals Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Xanadu and The Pirates of Penzance. They didn't even release the NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music with Carrie Underwood on Blu-ray, only DVD ( I didn't like it, but still, what's with that?). This change of presidents could be a huge improvement (or not).

Here is a link to the news story on Variety:

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/craig-kornblau-out-as-universal-studios-home-entertainment-chief-1201120402/

HERE IS HOW TO CONTACT UNIVERSAL FOR FLOWER DRUM SONG, PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND FILL IT OUT ON A REGULAR BASIS.

1. Go to: http://www.universalstudios.com/contact_us.php
2. Click "I accept."
3. Under Entertainment, click on DVD and Blu-ray
4. Next page, click your country
5. Next page fill out the form.
Under "subject" I fill in "Blu-ray request."
Under title I fill in "Flower Drum Song."
Blu-ray for format, and leave retailer blank then enter the code
6. Type your message on the right side. There is no limit for text characters.

If we all keep filling in this form, (I have for several years a few times a week) and have friends do it, maybe the new president on Universal Home Entertainment will actually listen this time.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I am not so sure that Craig Kornblau is the problem at Universal. I had heard good things about him.

Something is surely wrong so maybe things will improve.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Rick Thompson said:
For films closest to the original plot layouts and songs, though still with a cut or two, look at Oklahoma!, 1776, The Pajama Game and Damn Yankees. You'll note in all of those cases, no major stars (except for Doris Day in Pajama, where the original show's director -- who brooked no ego displays -- was in charge) were involved so no attendant egos had to be served.
Damn Yankees isn't as close to the original layout and songs as you think. Much more so are three other Warner Bros. musicals you didn't mention: My Fair Lady, Gypsy and The Music Man. We could also add to your list Hello, Dolly!, Fiddler on the Roof and, though most people don't like the movie, Mame. How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying has the same basic layout as the stage version, but several songs are cut.

I think Singin' in the Rain has got to be the most overrated musical -- and one of the most overrated movies -- of all time. It wasn't ranked highly until many decades after it came out, so I've always thought some know-nothing critic (probably French) praised it because it was about moviemaking and he probably thought all the songs were written for the movie. It's good, but pretty much in line with other MGM musicals of the period, such as An American in Paris and The Band Wagon.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Joe Lugoff said:
Damn Yankees isn't as close to the original layout and songs as you think. Much more so are three other Warner Bros. musicals you didn't mention: My Fair Lady, Gypsy and The Music Man. We could also add to your list Hello, Dolly!, Fiddler on the Roof and, though most people don't like the movie, Mame. How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying has the same basic layout as the stage version, but several songs are cut.

I think Singin' in the Rain has got to be the most overrated musical -- and one of the most overrated movies -- of all time. It wasn't ranked highly until many decades after it came out, so I've always thought some know-nothing critic (probably French) praised it because it was about moviemaking and he probably thought all the songs were written for the movie. It's good, but pretty much in line with other MGM musicals of the period, such as An American in Paris and The Band Wagon.
AMERICAN IN PARIS is in my opinion, the most boring of all musicals.VERY VERY overrated.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Rick Thompson said:
Because film is different than stage. Even Sound of Music cut songs ("No Way to Stop It" and "How Can Love Survive?") replaced one ("Something Good" for "An Ordinary Couple"), added one ("I Have Confidence") and moved two ("My Favorite Things" is sung by Maria and the Mother Abbess in the show; it became a number for Maria and the children during the storm. The Maria-children scene is in the play, but Maria sings "Lonely Goatherd" not "Favorite Things. There is no puppet scene in the play.).

Still it doesn't excuse those mediocre Dolly Parton interpolations into Whorehouse, which ruined the film. Or Samuel Goldwyn cutting what was then the biggest hit in Guys and Dolls ("Bushel and a Peck") because he didn't like the song.

For films closest to the original plot layouts and songs, though still with a cut or two, look at Oklahoma!, 1776, The Pajama Game and Damn Yankees. You'll note in all of those cases, no major stars (except for Doris Day in Pajama, where the original show's director -- who brooked no ego displays -- was in charge) were involved so no attendant egos had to be served.
WEST SIDE STORY was another film that had many of its songs in a different order from that of the stage show.THE KING AND I film had 2 songs removed from the film before being released.I would love to see them as an extra.I don't agree with you when you said that OKLAHOMA and PAJAMA GAME had no major stars (except for Doris Day in PG).PAJAMA GAME had Eddie Foy Jr (the whole family were major artists).OKLAHOMA had many major stars in the film:Gordon MacRae'Gloria Graham,Gene Nelson,Charlotte Greenwood (she had been a major star for more than a decade or two)James Whitmore,Rod Steiger and Eddie Albert were all major stars before Oklahoma.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
WEST SIDE STORY was another film that had many of its songs in a different order from that of the stage show.THE KING AND I film had 2 songs removed from the film before being released.I would love to see them as an extra.I don't agree with you when you said that OKLAHOMA and PAJAMA GAME had no major stars (except for Doris Day in PG).PAJAMA GAME had Eddie Foy Jr (the whole family were major artists).OKLAHOMA had many major stars in the film:Gordon MacRae'Gloria Graham,Gene Nelson,Charlotte Greenwood (she had been a major star for more than a decade or two)James Whitmore,Rod Steiger and Eddie Albert were all major stars before Oklahoma.
I meant the kind of major star that, in industry parlance, can "open" a film. People would go to a film because Doris Day was in it. You can't say that about the others. The closest was Tab Hunter in Damn Yankees. Rod Steiger became that (for a while, anyway) but he wasn't at the time of Oklahoma!.
Joe Lugoff said:

I'd agree with your additions to the list of films that very much are representative of the stage show (although Streisand was VERY miscast in Dolly), but disagree about Singin' in the Rain. Except for one sequence, it's as fresh today as it ever was. That one exception: "Broadway Melody." That was Gene Kelly's big "serious art" sequence, and it has dated badly. It's what I call a "watch watcher" -- you keep looking at your watch to guess how long till it's over. As it turned out, the enduring art was in the rest of the film.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I've placed my order through the HTF link.

Because of the excitement and expectations surrounding this box set, I'm having it sent by Express Courier, which is something i never normally do.
Extra freight costs? Who cares. :D This promises to be one magnificent Blu-Ray set.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Has anyone else tried a general search for this set on the Amazon site rather than use the link we've been provided?
I find a general search for Rodgers & Hammerstein collection blu ray yields nothing .. so I hope there's nothing funny going on.
And yes, I've pre-ordered via our group link so I really hope it's all systems go ... now I'd better get started selling my individual South Pacific and Sound of Music Blu rays!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
AnthonyClarke said:
Has anyone else tried a general search for this set on the Amazon site rather than use the link we've been provided?
I find a general search for Rodgers & Hammerstein collection blu ray yields nothing .. so I hope there's nothing funny going on.
And yes, I've pre-ordered via our group link so I really hope it's all systems go ... now I'd better get started selling my individual South Pacific and Sound of Music Blu rays!
Doug Bull said:
Anthony,
I've never been able to find it in a search either.
+1

Count me among those who are going to be waiting for the individual titles to be released. I don't see how it would hurt them to do it at the same time as the box set (or very shortly after).

I do NOT want to be kept waiting for The King & I. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jim*Tod said:
Mr. Harris---as always fascinating information. Never knew that 2001 was four track except for the last reel. Was this kind of thing fairly common among the 70mm/six track mixes of the 50's and 60's?
Not certain. Mr. Kubrick told me that the UK mixing stages only had 4-track at the time. Last reel was apparently done in LA. Lawrence was 4-track also, spread to 6.

RAH

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
cinerama10 said:
AMERICAN IN PARIS is in my opinion, the most boring of all musicals.VERY VERY overrated.
You're entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, the virtually non-stop 118 minutes of peerless performances of Gershwin classics is a reason to live. My opinion is also that everything else about "An American In Paris" is sublime.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
Doug Bull said:
Anthony,
I've never been able to find it in a search either.
I've never been able to find it in a general search either. HOWEVER, I pre-ordered shortly after the link was posted here, and a few days ago got an email from Amazon stating the April 29 release date. It's legit, but Amazon has to get its search house in order (couldn't resist the pun).

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
RobertSiegel said:
HDnet Movies is currently running a brand new transfer of "Flower Drum Song" and I can't believe how gorgeous the movie looks, also the sound was remastered and is one heck of a soundtrack. I am so familiar with the movie having watched it many many times, I can tell there was a good amount of work done to it. But would Universal release it? NOT!
HERE IS HOW TO CONTACT UNIVERSAL FOR FLOWER DRUM SONG, PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND FILL IT OUT ON A REGULAR BASIS.

1. Go to: http://www.universalstudios.com/contact_us.php
2. Click "I accept."
3. Under Entertainment, click on DVD and Blu-ray
4. Next page, click your country
5. Next page fill out the form.
Under "subject" I fill in "Blu-ray request."
Under title I fill in "Flower Drum Song."
Blu-ray for format, and leave retailer blank then enter the code
6. Type your message on the right side. There is no limit for text characters.

If we all keep filling in this form, (I have for several years a few times a week) and have friends do it, maybe the new president on Universal Home Entertainment will actually listen this time.
Just did so for Flower Drum Song and Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.