What's new

The Persuaders! blu ray set in September!!!! Roger Moore and Tony Curtis tv series!!! (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Osato said:
I have the Network DVD Persuaders set as well. I saw a lot of haloing and I really want the show in HD blu ray.

I didn't see any haloing, but I only watched the first episode so far. Maybe the quality isn't consistent all the way through? And I watched on a 92" screen, so you would think I would notice those types of imperfections. But maybe since it is a real favorite of yours you just want the best of the best, while it's a new show to me. I've done the same with other shows that are all time favorites of mine.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_id=52&choice_id=143&product_group_id=224&product_id=1578

That is a UK company but it might be worth contacting them to see if their upgrade discs work on US machines or whether they can tailor one to your needs. It would be certainly be the cheapest route to getting a good quality multi region player.
Thanks! £60 is about $90. I think at that point I would just order a region free player from 800 electronics.

I'm looking forward to trying a few work arounds on my current player first.
Thanks for He suggestion though. It is always good to weigh options and cost.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
smithbrad said:
I didn't see any haloing, but I only watched the first episode so far. Maybe the quality isn't consistent all the way through? And I watched on a 92" screen, so you would think I would notice those types of imperfections. But maybe since it is a real favorite of yours you just want the best of the best, while it's a new show to me. I've done the same with other shows that are all time favorites of mine.
Agreed. Yes it is a favorite for sure.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Thanks! £60 is about $90. I think at that point I would just order a region free player from 800 electronics.

I'm looking forward to trying a few work arounds on my current player first.
Thanks for He suggestion though. It is always good to weigh options and cost.

I have some cautiously optimistic news for you.

Currently using a multi region Bluray Disc Recorder from Panasonic with built in 1TB hard drive but having received a couple of discs thanks to the current Network sale I discovered that Black Narcissus played using the menu trick with the recorder set to Region A.

I was almost certain I'd previously tried some Network titles so this was a surprise so I dug out The Persuaders Bluray and managed to get that to play too. Once the Wrong Region caption appeared I pressed STOP , then pressed MENU (twice) and the main menu appeared and I was able to play the contents so you might be in luck.

There is of course no guarantee that US devices will act the same as UK ones but it is a good sign. You're probably already aware that most of the video bonus features are 50hz so you'll need to get round that and at least 2 of the bonus discs are actually dvd's locked to Region 2.

Let us know how you get on.

Can you really buy a quality branded bluray player like Panasonic for $90? We can in the UK but not a MR version.

The only players that are MR for that price are cheap far eastern imports that licence brands like Toshiba ( but Toshiba have no part in the manufacturing) and they come with their own playback issues for some discs

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
I have some cautiously optimistic news for you.
Currently using a multi region Bluray Disc Recorder from Panasonic with built in 1TB hard drive but having received a couple of discs thanks to the current Network sale I discovered that Black Narcissus played using the menu trick with the recorder set to Region A.
I was almost certain I'd previously tried some Network titles so this was a surprise so I dug out The Persuaders Bluray and managed to get that to play too. Once the Wrong Region caption appeared I pressed STOP , then pressed MENU (twice) and the main menu appeared and I was able to play the contents so you might be in luck.

There is of course no guarantee that US devices will act the same as UK ones but it is a good sign. You're probably already aware that most of the video bonus features are 50hz so you'll need to get round that and at least 2 of the bonus discs are actually dvd's locked to Region 2.

Let us know how you get on.

Can you really buy a quality branded bluray player like Panasonic for $90? We can in the UK but not a MR version.
The only players that are MR for that price are cheap far eastern imports that licence brands like Toshiba ( but Toshiba have no part in the manufacturing) and they come with their own playback issues for some discs
Thanks for the post! I will let you know if I am successful!
I have a region free oppo DVD player so I should be good with the bonus discs.
I may list my network DVD set as well. Anyway this is positive I've news!!

There is a Sony player in 800 electronics that I would get as a back up. It runs about $125-150.

I'll post when I receive the item and test it out!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just screened the first episode of the Persuaders blu-ray on my projection system. It looked like a movie! Amazing quality. The Professionals was even better with great 5.1 sound and fantastic lighting and location shooting. I am REALLY happy I got these in the NetworkOnAir sale. Tomorrow night, I'm going to check out the 3 disk retro-ACTION! set.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The Persuaders Bluray doesn't have 5.1 sound.

The retro action sets look equally lovely. Network Blurays of classic 35mm tv shows are the best out there with Space 1999 and The Prisoner looking equally awesome although both those did have 5.1 sound

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Professionals has 5.1 sound. (Hard to keep track of all those one word titles that all start with P!)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
bigshot said:
The Professionals has 5.1 sound. (Hard to keep track of all those one word titles that all start with P!)

I think the reason they didn't do 5.1 on The Persuaders is because the the original music elements are lost. Shame as it would have been great.

The Music of ITC double cd set only includes a couple of pieces from The Persuaders but it does sound as if they might have been lifted directly from an episode soundtrack.

But things can change. When that cd set was released a few years ago the music of Gideons Way was also lost but since then they've managed to locate them and have released 55 minutes of music from that show. Unfortunately they've only currently released it on an over priced vinyl version so we have to wait for the inevitable cd - so perhaps The Persuaders music might turn up too

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I tried the following suggested methods for the set but was unsuccessful..

Method 1 -

- Insert a disc and wait for the "Wrong Region" screen to appear
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button
- Disc should boot to the discs main menu or start playing the movie

Method 2 -

- Press Stop
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button (You may have to press this a few times)

Method 3 -

- Press Stop
- Press 1 and the number "1" should start blinking in the upper right corner. Press the "OK" button while 1 is blinking. You may have to try this a few times, as it usually doesn't work the first time. Try pressing OK on the first or second blink and it should work.

Any other know. Hacks that I can attempt??

Thanks!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Osato,

While I have an LG region-free player in the basement that I bought with the hardware-MOD, I needed a new cheap player upstairs because my $60 cheap Sony bit the dust. I decided to try the Seiki some have talked about that can be ordered from Sears for $60. I figured I only wanted a standard cheap player, why not get a region-free one to boot. I got it the other day, set it up, used the secret menu and played a Region-B blu-ray without a hitch. The only think I don't know at this point is how it handles 50i (PAL) content. Some will convert to 60i while others it is not a problem because the TV can handle both PAL and NTSC. You might want to give it a try.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I tried the following suggested methods for the set but was unsuccessful..

Method 1 -

- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button

Method 2 -

- Press Stop
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button (You may have to press this a few times)

Method 3 -

- Press Stop
- Press 1 and the number "1" should start blinking in the upper right corner. Press the "OK" button while 1 is blinking. You may have to try this a few times, as it usually doesn't work the first time. Try pressing OK on the first or second blink and it should work.

Any other know. Hacks that I can attempt??

Thanks!!

You should be pressing the button for the Top Menu not the Pop Up menu.

If your remote has no button for Top Menu try MENU.

Or Functions which should display several options within one of which will be Top Menu

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
smithbrad said:
Osato,

While I have an LG region-free player in the basement that I bought with the hardware-MOD, I needed a new cheap player upstairs because my $60 cheap Sony bit the dust. I decided to try the Seiki some have talked about that can be ordered from Sears for $60. I figured I only wanted a standard cheap player, why not get a region-free one to boot. I got it the other day, set it up, used the secret menu and played a Region-B blu-ray without a hitch. The only think I don't know at this point is how it handles 50i (PAL) content. Some will convert to 60i while others it is not a problem because the TV can handle both PAL and NTSC. You might want to give it a try.
Thanks so lg players do not have work around a without mods?

Thanks for the suggestion on the other player too!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Or Functions which should display several options within one of which will be Top Menu
I'll give it another go tonight.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Attempted again. No dice....

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Attempted again. No dice....

What Panasonic player do you have?

Although my first one from 2008 ( which was a year old model at the time) was also able to do the MENU trick as was my 2012 player and my current recorder.

At first I thought it was some kind of side effect for the players already being multi region, but as we have seen this is not the case.

I'm sure you must be doing something wrong.

Do you have any other Region B discs bar The Persuaders to try?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
bigshot said:
Time for a region free player!

Exactly, especially as a decent region-free player will cost you no more than the price of that Persuaders set.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Worth said:
Exactly, especially as a decent region-free player will cost you no more than the price of that Persuaders set.

A decent region free player for under £40?

Not sure the cheap imports can be classed as "decent".

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There is a low end Sony region free player that is a very good machine. Price equates with features in electronics, not quality. If you just want to play a disk from another region, you should be able to find one that can do that for very little money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks