What's new

The Persuaders! blu ray set in September!!!! Roger Moore and Tony Curtis tv series!!! (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have watched the first 2 Discs of the Series and I have a Region Free Blu player. I'm impressed with the image quality. Some of those craxy color combos on some of the sets are crazy retro Love em! I think it is a great set, be aware I doubt the set will look Mint when shipped cause I think most everyone on message boards claimed there sets came a bit smooshed, it isn't the hardest box set material. Mine came in decent shape just not pristine.

Only real drawback is that audio while fine isn't lossless audio on the blu discs. The sound is fine though.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Powell&Pressburger said:
I have watched the first 2 Discs of the Series and I have a Region  Free Blu player. I'm impressed with the image quality. Some of those craxy color combos on some of the sets are crazy retro Love em! I think it is a great set, be aware I doubt the set will look Mint when shipped cause I think most everyone on message boards claimed there sets came a bit smooshed, it isn't the hardest box set material. Mine came in decent shape just not pristine.
Only real drawback is that audio while fine isn't lossless audio on the blu discs. The sound is fine though.
Great to hear on the video quality! I have become a very big fan of this series over the past few years. I have the Network DVD set and would love to upgrade to the blu ray set. I have a blu ray player, but do not have one that will play Region B.
Hopefully Network does continue with issuing The Saint on blu ray as well.
What kind of blu ray player do you have? Would you recommend it as well?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
it's frustrating that this release is locked to Region B.
Is there any news on a US Region A release of this series on blu ray?
I've been holding out hope that there will be.
Also, hoping Network continues with it's stated blu ray plans for The Saint.
Would be great for Studio Canal to open up a Region free release of The Avengers on blu ray as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Powell&Pressburger said:
I have watched the first 2 Discs of the Series and I have a Region  Free Blu player. I'm impressed with the image quality. Some of those craxy color combos on some of the sets are crazy retro Love em! I think it is a great set, be aware I doubt the set will look Mint when shipped cause I think most everyone on message boards claimed there sets came a bit smooshed, it isn't the hardest box set material. Mine came in decent shape just not pristine.
The audio is probably just a little richer then DVD? Some improvement?
It is too bad they didn't include lossless audio.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Shout factory please bring the blu Ray set of the persuaders to the U.S. market. Thanks!

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The last episode of 'The Saint'( - tho' I think they may put it second to last in screening order) called; 'The Ex-King of Diamonds' is a dry run for 'The Persuaders !'

it teams Simon Templar (Roger Moore) with American oil millionaire Rod Huston (Stuart Damon - of 'The Champions' & a U.S. Medical soap series)

the pair form an unlikely good team after a car race & a fight in a bar (both as in 'Overture' The Persuaders !' pilot episode)

A UK DVD box release of 'The Persuaders !' included that last episode of 'The Saint' (the same team of Robert S. Baker, Johnny Goodman etc made both shows)

John Barry's distinctive theme tune was a UK pop chart hit single for JB in 1971

(Barry's themes from the BBC TV show; 'Vendetta' & spy film; 'The IPCRESS File' are in a similar style....and all can by found on a John Barry CD along with James Bond film themes)

The show was unwisely pitched up against the well established 'Mission: Impossible' in the USA thus never got a second season....pity

A few episodes are a bit lightweight & comedic - 'To The Death Baby', 'The Man in The Middle'....while some are very serious like; 'Someone Waiting', 'The Old The New & The Deadly', most are in between with funny bits & action sequences, always very entertaining

Tony Curtis & Roger Moore had great competitiveness....but great 'chemistry' too !

Laurence Nasmith shines as a 'cunning old fox' Judge Fulton, a semi regular co-star, who brings the pair of playboys together - a cocktail like Nitro & Glycerine !!

a few episodes 'feature' Sir Roger - 'Greensleeves', 'Someone Like Me'....

and others 'feature' Tony; 'Angie...Angie', 'A Home of One's Own' etc

while most feature the pair equally...

Lots of great guest stars & Lovely women appear in this stylish 'European tour' action/adventure/humour ITC show

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Fans of The Saint may be interested to know that the first colour episode The Queens Ransom is on one of the Retro Action Bluray discs and The Ex King of Diamonds is in HD on The Persuaders Bluray set

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pathfiner said:
The last episode of 'The Saint'( - tho' I think they may put it second to last in screening order) called; 'The Ex-King of Diamonds' is a dry run for 'The Persuaders !'

it teams Simon Templar (Roger Moore) with American oil millionaire Rod Huston (Stuart Damon - of 'The Champions' & a U.S. Medical soap series)

the pair form an unlikely good team after a car race & a fight in a bar (both as in 'Overture' The Persuaders !' pilot episode)

A UK DVD box release of 'The Persuaders !' included that last episode of 'The Saint' (the same team of Robert S. Baker, Johnny Goodman etc made both shows)

John Barry's distinctive theme tune was a UK pop chart hit single for JB in 1971
(Barry's themes from the BBC TV show; 'Vendetta' & spy film; 'The IPCRESS File' are in a similar style....and all can by found on a John Barry CD along with James Bond film themes)

The show was unwisely pitched up against the well established 'Mission: Impossible' in the USA thus never got a second season....pity

A few episodes are a bit lightweight & comedic - 'To The Death Baby', 'The Man in The Middle'....while some are very serious like; 'Someone Waiting', 'The Old The New & The Deadly', most are in between with funny bits & action sequences, always very entertaining

Tony Curtis & Roger Moore had great competitiveness....but great 'chemistry' too !

Laurence Nasmith shines as a 'cunning old fox' Judge Fulton, a semi regular co-star, who brings the pair of playboys together - a cocktail like Nitro & Glycerine !!

a few episodes 'feature' Sir Roger - 'Greensleeves', 'Someone Like Me'....

and others 'feature' Tony; 'Angie...Angie', 'A Home of One's Own' etc

while most feature the pair equally...

Lots of great guest stars & Lovely women appear in this stylish 'European tour' action/adventure/humour ITC show
100% agreed! It's a really fun and entertaining show.
I started my network dvd set last night. Starting with the last disc in the set and going to work backwards. Lots of ee on the dvd set but I'm glad to have it. I'd love to see the show in hd blu Ray. Hence my email to shout factory!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Fans of The Saint may be interested to know that the first colour episode The Queens Ransom is on one of the Retro Action Bluray discs and The Ex King of Diamonds is in HD on The Persuaders Bluray set
I am curious if network mastered only the 2 episodes for blu Ray or if there is more.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I am curious if network mastered only the 2 episodes for blu Ray or if there is more.

The release of the Retro Action discs 3 years ago sparked a wave of enquiries about potential additional ITC shows on Bluray . At the time Network claimed that all the episodes on the sets were specially done for the Retro Action sets only and there were no plans at the time to remaster anymore which is not surprising considering the number of ITC shows the 3 discs covered including half hour things like The Invisible Man and Robin Hood to failed shows like Shirleys World.

I would say the chances of complete releases on Blu for anything other than the 1 hour action shows was remote and even those still seem a long way off since its been 3 year since their last Bluray set which was The Persuaders.

Space 1999 year 2 later this year but I'm hoping that Networks new 10 year deal with ITV may mean further Bluray upgrades for the likes of The Champions and Randall & Hopkirk.

If they can get the rights though I'd expect some more Anderson first

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have pre-order the set, but it appears there may be delay/wait before the set is released in North America.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been watching my UK persuaders dvd set. I really like this series!!!!
I would love to have the Blu Ray set available here in the U.S.!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I've been watching my UK persuaders dvd set. I really like this series!!!!
I would love to have the Blu Ray set available here in the U.S.!

But then you would be unlikely to get the lovely book that accompanies the Network set

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
But then you would be unlikely to get the lovely book that accompanies the Network set

Sure. I have the Network DVD set and the booklet in that set.

I really would just like to have the show in proper HD on blu ray. I like my Network set, but I'd love to see the show in HD without EE artifacts, etc.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Sure. I have the Network DVD set and the booklet in that set.

I really would just like to have the show in proper HD on blu ray. I like my Network set, but I'd love to see the show in HD without EE artifacts, etc.

I misread your post - thought you had the UK Bluray.

I did have the dvd set but only have the Blu now.

I don't remember for sure but I think the book that comes with the Blu is different to the one that came with the dvd. The Blu book is the best that Network have ever done . Although its not as thick as the Public Eye or Prisoner ones its all glossy format filled with photos makes it the sort of souvenir we would have gladly purchased for a fair price on its own some years ago.

Does the dvd set come with this same book?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
I misread your post - thought you had the UK Bluray.
I did have the dvd set but only have the Blu now.
I don't remember for sure but I think the book that comes with the Blu is different to the one that came with the dvd. The Blu book is the best that Network have ever done . Although its not as thick as the Public Eye or Prisoner ones its all glossy format filled with photos makes it the sort of souvenir we would have gladly purchased for a fair price on its own some years ago.

Does the dvd set come with this same book?
I'm not sure either. For sure an episode guide. I'll have to look.
I believe there was 1 new extra for the blu Ray set. It was a vintage interview with roger I believe. It was discovered after the dvd set had been released.

I really hate you hat be work does region locking. Such a bummer.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I'm not sure either. For sure an episode guide. I'll have to look.
I believe there was 1 new extra for the blu Ray set. It was a vintage interview with roger I believe. It was discovered after the dvd set had been released.

I really hate you hat be work does region locking. Such a bummer.

Which dvd set do you have ?

The most recent one , the 40th Anniversary one came out at the same time as the Bluray. If its the previous release then there definitely won't be the book which is dated 2011.

As Network region lock all their Bluray movies and tv shows it might be a good excuse to go multi region.

Is this the set you have . Its from 2006.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persuaders-Special-DVD/dp/B000FAOAYW/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941113&sr=1-6&keywords=the+persuaders

This is the most recent one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persuaders-Complete-ITV-Network-DVD/dp/B005K8I5PY/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941113&sr=1-1&keywords=the+persuaders

That should include all the bonuses from the Bluray bar the HD version of Ex King of Diamonds

Read this and weep!

http://networkonair.com/shop/1414-persuaders-the-the-complete-series.html

This is a bit pricey but I think you'd love it. Its certainly much better in the flesh than in the listing.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1485-persuaders-the-40th-anniversary-brochure.html

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Which dvd set do you have ?
The most recent one , the 40th Anniversary one came out at the same time as the Bluray. If its the previous release then there definitely won't be the book which is dated 2011.

As Network region lock all their Bluray movies and tv shows it might be a good excuse to go multi region.

Is this the set you have . Its from 2006.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persuaders-Special-DVD/dp/B000FAOAYW/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941113&sr=1-6&keywords=the+persuaders

This is the most recent one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persuaders-Complete-ITV-Network-DVD/dp/B005K8I5PY/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941113&sr=1-1&keywords=the+persuaders

That should include all the bonuses from the Bluray bar the HD version of Ex King of Diamonds

Read this and weep!

http://networkonair.com/shop/1414-persuaders-the-the-complete-series.html

This is a bit pricey but I think you'd love it. Its certainly much better in the flesh than in the listing.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1485-persuaders-the-40th-anniversary-brochure.html
I have the 2006 set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I may need to at least upgrade my dvd set....

Does the newer dvd set have new transfers and extras as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks