What's new

The O.C. - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Noticed Jane Espenson of Buffy fame wrote this one. Was she one of the good writers on Buffy, or was Marti Noxon the one I am thinking of that wrote some of the not so good eps? Anyone know?

At any rate, I did enjoy last night's ep alot.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Marti Noxon was higher up on the mutant enemy totem pole than Jane Espenson, but they both wrote a lot of great episodes.

Like some other people here, I'm surprised by the fact that this show actually doesn't suck. It's a cheesy concept for a show, but better than average writers and a lot of likeable actors seem to raise it above the shows its been compared to, most of which I hated. It's not gonna be must-see tv, but there's something about it that makes me want to see what they have in store for the rest of the season.

Also, Mischa Barton certainly seems to be popping up a lot lately. Was anyone else lucky enough to see her stint during Once & Again's superb final season?

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I agree John, this should should be cheese, it has that forumlua, but it really isn't and has been proving itself above just that.

As for the Buffy writers, they both have great eps to their credit, but I know one of them wrote some of the more "not up to the normal Buffy standard" eps during the last season or two. I don't know the eps off my head, as I am not that big a fan. But I do remember us discussing it in the Buffy thread at the time. I beleive it was Noxon, IIRC. I seem to remember there was talk of her going over to Angel, and remember it bothering me (I enjoy Angel more than Buffy.) Could be wrong though. Just thought someone reading this would be a bigger Buffy fan than I and know.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Mischa Barton certainly seems to be popping up a lot lately. Was anyone else lucky enough to see her stint during Once & Again's superb final season?
I only caught an episode or two. I'm annoyed that the second and third seasons have not been released on DVD yet. And Lifetime stopped showing them too.

//Ken

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jane Espenson has written a lot of the good Buffy episodes with a lot of nice pop cultural zingers, so it was a pleasant surprise to see her listed as the writer for this week's episode. I liked the episode, and it being the initial episode that finally settles Ryan in The O.C. makes the series less of a "just get him settled already, I'm tired of seeing the poor guy shuttled to and from juvenile lockup" start of the show.

I got just a little choked up when Ryan's mom finally lets Ryan go so he can be at a better place and removed herself from the picture because the instability in her life was not good for her son, who has a good nature, smarts, but a boat anchor of a mom up until now.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Another enjoyable episode. I am liking the chemistry and the characters and I find myself comparing it to an old favorite, Knots Landing.

I am enjoying how they are fleshing the characters out and making them more than just stereotypes.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I thought that Jane Espenson was going to write for The Gillmore Girls this year, but maybe I got that wrong.

The current New Yorker magazine has a review of THE O.C. by Nancy Franklin, called "Sunny Money." She, too, seems somewhat surprised by the quality of the show and gives it a pretty favorable review. I don't know if the review is on-line anywhere and I don't want to violate their copyright, but here is a brief except:

"There is hardly a scene or a situation in the first three episodes of 'The O.C.' that you don't see coming...But the series executive producers ...have cast the show well, with actors who hint with almost every movement and word at the anxiety that underlay their characters' drive to get to this charmed place and their desire to stay there...And there are nice little surprises: the sudden loud sound of a backpack being zipped, signalling a sad but inevitable goodbye. The show emphasizes the unrelenting brightness of the California light, and even the pretty beach tableau at the beginning of the pilot makes you sheild your eyes. Although 'The O.C.' isn't set in the world of show business, it has some cautionary rumbling undertones you feel in movies and TV shows about the empty promise of Hollywood. Here, too, just down the road, in the land of endless summer, everyone, no matter where he comes from, is in danger of flying too close to the sun."

Deborah

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
If you read AICN's interview with Jane Espenson (found here) she states that she only worked on the show during her hiatus between Buffy and Gilmore Girls.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Brandon -- thanks for the info. I guess that some people just don't believe in vacations!

Deborah

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I was reading yesterday online that the show is doing good. Thats the good news.
The bad news is after 6 or so episodes its going on hiatus and then coming back on...Thursday, opposite Friends.

That is not good!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Opposite "Friends" and "Survivor" then? Well, it was nice meeting you, The OC, buh-bye now... :frowning:

/Mike

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I guess the idea is that CSI is more different demographically than Friends and Survivor.

//Ken

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
CSI skews older, demographically speaking, and I think that the majority of "The O.C."'s audience is in the 15-34 range.

That being said, Fox has a history of canceling or badly scheduling great shows (Undeclared, anyone?). I could understand keeping it on Tuesday, where the worst it has to face (AFAIK) is ABC's abysmal sitcom lineup. Then they're putting the show on hiatus so that Fox can air its lame attempt at baseball coverage starting in late September when every other show is starting or continuing! That means No "O.C." until November, if the wankers at Fox even decide to bring it back.

It almost seems like they do it out of spite, just so they can lord crap like "Joe Millionare" over us.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is that this show amuses me. It's one of the few shows that make me laugh and chuckle due to the character interactions and reactions.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
The more I watch this show the more I enjoy it. Even though its pretty predictable (I just knew that Seth would wind up with the new girl - who is pretty hot BTW)they find a way to still make it fun to watch.

Let's just hope FOX doesn't cancel it.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I'm hooked.. Four episodes in and it hasn't sucked yet. Next weeks ep looks to keep impressions up.

I'm sorry guys, anyone who likes "reality shows". You guys can keep the "restaurant" joe millionaire, marry me shows, island shows (except for survivor which for some reason seems above par)big brother, amazing race, american idol, performing as, american junior, real world, road rules, and all those countless other shows that feed off the same topics.... I am so sick of it all.

give me King of Queens, CSI's, Raymond, Scrubs, Will & Grace, Friends, And the OC anyday..

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Sandy (Gallager's character) was funny as hell when he was playing the video game screaming at Ryan in the other room. His character truly is a big grown up kid.

Great ep too.:emoji_thumbsup:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
If they put it against "CSI", that'd be OK with me since I don't watch that show. :emoji_thumbsup: Then I could just record the NBC line-up and watch The OC.

This show is really, really good, IMO. It's got sympathetic characters and situations that don't feel too contrived, given that it's a soap after all. So far there isn't really a major plotline, but many smaller ones instead, which I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks