What's new

The New World: Various DVD Versions? (1 Viewer)

I've heard that the initial DVD release will be the US cut, which was shortened by the director following the film's original release. However, I've also heard that Malick is working on a much longer DVD presentation for release sometime down the line. Just curious if anyone has additional information...

CLD

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
You've heard everything we have. The DVD of the theatrical cut has been announced for early May, and will feature trailers and a making-of featurette; no commentary!

An extended version is expected later in the year and will not feature the theatrical cut, so a double-dip wouldn't be uncalled for if you as big a fan of the film as I am.

Rumor is the extended edition runs anything from twenty minutes longer (Malick's pre-release cut shown briefly in December) to an hour longer. It is known he filmed enough material for a five-hour film, like The Thin Red Line in 1998. I wish there was more specific info out there right now...

Cheers!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wouldn't expect a Malick commentary. He didn't even appear in HBO First Look on the film.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, excellent.

From what I've been following, this is not simply like the longer cut that was 155 min. That featured more nature shots, a bit more dialogue here and there, etc. This is supposed to be an extensive reworking of the film (3 hours!) with more character bits. Which is exactly what this film was lacking, imo. More character moments would elevate this from a film I immensely repect to a film I absolutely LOVE.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the 2005 premiere cut already had a finished soundtrack, so a new 5.1 track doesn't make any sense. This must be a newly-minted draft of the film with more scenes beyond the ones included in the 150-minute version.

Now that I'm actually thinking about it... didn't this DVD come out in May? And isn't this New Line Cinema? Perhaps they are following the December-May-November release paradigm that The Lord of the Rings trilogy used...

;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Interesting to see Malick is playing at the Director's Cut game. Maybe he'll do an extended version of the Thin Red Line. :)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

According to the producer in interviews that were published last December, the intention all along was for Malick to do a 3-hour+ version expressly for the DVD market, knowing it wouldn't play theatrically. It may even be longer than 3-hours! :)

I'm looking forward to it, this is great news!

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I'm sorry to say that it was reported about a month ago now that the new
DVD version is ONLY going to be the 150-min. cut released in early
December of last year. I hope they change their minds and release a full
three-hour or ten-hour cut, but it doesn't appear that will happen.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Where was this "reported"? If the extended DVD is only going to be the 150-minute cut, why would Mallick be actively involved in remixing the film since the 150-minute cut already has a finished multi-channel sound mix?

Vincent

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

My thoughts exactly Vincent. If you go back to the interviews that came out last December, the producer mentioned -- at great length as well -- that there was a 3+ hour version that would eventually land on DVD, that Malick knew it and was already preparing it. Wasn't a pipe dream -- it definitely sounded like it was well under way.

I'd like to see these "reports" only the 150 min. version was coming to DVD as well. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go to the trouble of making an Extended version for 15 minutes when there were hours available.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
They were on several DVD sites. I can't remember which ones off hand, but
I'm sure somebody could do some searches. DVDDavis or DigitalBits may have
had a quote from another site, etc. I pray it's wrong, because I'd love a three
hour cut.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Since you're the one who reported this "information" in this thread, I'd say it's your responsibility to "do some searches" for the actual links, not any of ours.

As it stands, the actual, factual information linked in this thread indicates that Mallick is actively involved in remixing his "director's cut" of THE NEW WORLD, and seeing as how the 150-minute cut already had a completed multi-channel sound mix, it doesn't make much sense for him to be working on a remix of that version, now does it?

Vincent

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Although a revised cut would be great, it is quite possible that the pre-exisiting longer cut is being remixed by mi-casa..why you ask?..because thats what they do, remix theatrical soundtracks (and yes, brand new film's as well as old one's) to enhance them for the home environment - it's something that mi casa has done for many new line titles (and other studio's) and there's no reason why TNW should be any different.

M

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The 150 min. cut is not a director's cut. Malick wasn't done editing to make the LA/NY release date, so instead of delaying, he gave them what he had at that time, which was 150 minutes. He was in the process of whittling the movie down to its eventual 135. This was also what was sent out on the screeners, unfortunately.

Here's the link: http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3...tem_id=3810483

Regards,
Nathan

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Complete thread derailment, sorry. Vincent_P, correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding has always been that you are Vincent Pereira (of Kevin Smith films fame); if true, I noticed that your HTF profile lists your birthday as Nov. 30th, but your bio page at imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0673229/) lists it as March 11th. I just thought you might wanna know. Looking back over this post, I feel vaguely stupid and stalkerish, but I'll hit "Submit Reply" anyway...back to your regular programming, folks...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

That's weird, 'cause my birthday is March 11. I'll have to check my profile here and change it. Thanks for pointing that out, I have no idea how that happened... UPDATE- Just checked my profile, and I didn't have my birthday listed at all. I'm thinking maybe you checked Vincent-P's profile and got the Nov. 30th date from there.

Back on topic, good point, Marc- I hadn't thought about the theatrical mix being tweaked for home video which often does happen, but correct me if I'm wrong, I thought in those cases there really isn't a whole lot of actual "remixing" done- rather, the existing mix is tweaked so it will sound the same way in a smaller home environment as it would sound in a big movie theater. It seems odd to me that Mallick would be on hand for such a "tweaking" session alone, and given how the 150-minute cut was literally an unfinished film rushed to theaters for a limited time in order to qualify for awards season, I don't see how Mallick would want to release that to home video. Since the theatrical release of THE NEW WORLD, we've been hearing that Mallick intended to release a much longer cut, and given these reports of a remix happening of THE NEW WORLD "Director's Cut", I have to think that that's indeed what this is, and NOT the 150-minute Oscar-qualifying release version.

Vincent

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

What's the deal with all this Vincent-P and Vincent_P crap; how's a guy ever supposed to know who he's talking to?! ;)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
No, my profile doesn't list my birthday, which is July 13th anyway.

EDIT: Actually, if you click on my public profile, it does say Nov. 30, which is weird because my user CP says I haven't listed my birthdate. Could Nov. 30 be a default? I guess I'll have to fix it.
BTW, MY IMDB does list my correct birthdate also. http://imdb.com/name/nm1127158/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks