What's new

The Monkees-S1 OOP? (1 Viewer)

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm looking around, thinking about plunking down for both Season sets of The Monkees-and I'm noticing lots of folks have season 2, but season 1 nowhere to been seen (or, if seen, not cheap-think $95+!!)
I', sure they're still available through Rhino, but it does seem strange that Season 1 sets so super "rare" through DD, Amazon, etc.
Is it possible they are going out of print? Will Warners finally take this show from Rhino (since, I believe Warners owns Rhino now?)
Let's face it, with Warners track record for old tv shows, we may never see them again...

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
I just recently contacted Rhino about The Monkees. I, too, had noticed that Season One was getting hard to find, and I had hoped that maybe they could reissue the sets in slimcases instead of the current design.

Here's my original letter (dated July 9, 2007):

Hello,
Just wanted to make a suggestion regarding the Monkees season set DVDs. Although the "record player" concept is clever, I think a lot of people may be put off by the shear bulk and complicated style of it. I have also heard complaints about the durability of it and "shelf space" concerns.

Soooo......I was wondering if you guys might consider releasing the shows in the future in a standard, slimcase kind of box set that would be more practical and user-friendly. I think that would be more appealing and desirable to consumers (I know I'd buy them in that format, and a lot of my "Monkees fans" friends that I've talked to about this would, too).

Please think about this humble suggestion. My wallet awaits your decision.

The next day I got this response:

Thanks for your input. I’ll forward your letter to our suggestion box.

Dr. Rhino

So there was nothing about them about to lose the show or anything (for what that's worth). And Rhino just released new deluxe editions of Monkee CDs. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. I really would prefer standard, slimcase box sets for this show, and I hope it happens someday.:)

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
It's true the first season has never been cheap, but at least you could get it from DD, or Amazon, Overstock, etc...no more...
AND-I checked Rhino's Monkee page-they DO have season 1 (89.95-correct no discount retail price)-BUT, that's it...no season 2 mentioned, and no mention of the old "Head" DVD.
Maybe we will get lucky-a rerelease, re-remaster, and sensible slimline cases?

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie--I got both Monkees sets by enrolling in Columbia House's TV-on-DVD club...bought one set for $19.95 and got the second set free.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
All I know is that I was a little surprised to see Season 1 on backorder at Deep Discount this past November. Luckily, they were able to get me a copy about a week later. Looks like I timed my purchase perfectly. A reissue would be helpful to improve the packaging durability and to redo the useless DD 5.1 remixes, but the old set is not too terrible in quality (can't see much of a chance for video improvement given the current master tapes). You could attempt to get DVD Pacific to find one for you (listed as "On Order" for about $50), but I have no experience about how good they are on shipping out of stock items.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I thought I did well grabbing them from Deep Discount during the 20% off sale.

on a side note, one of my cinematography instructors was Robert E Collins. He was a cameraman on the Monkees on tour episode. I have never been more jealous than discovering that he shot footage inside the Monkee-mobile.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I got season 1 as a Christmas present--I probably would've preferred slimcases to be honest, so if that's the reason it's out of print, d'oh! I held off on buying season 2 during the DeepDiscount sale for that very reason, although it will look quite odd to have a thick, gigantic box next to a few slimcases on the shelf...

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
For those who are interested, DVD Pacific has the Season 1 boxset back in stock, though they may not have that many copies. Let the scramble begin! :D

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, the site is saying that Season 1 is on order. If someone is really interested in gettin Season 1, used sets are available from sellers at Amazon. The prices range from $200 to $480. I'm glad I got this a couple of years ago.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Well, I for one will not purchase the Monkees sets as they are. I'm waiting for them to be done RIGHT. Meaning, clean transfers. The transfers on these sets are FILTHY, did they drag the film behind a car on a gravel road before they transfered them or what? Theyr'e bleeding these dry, and then in a year or two, they'll come out with a new "restored" set and get everyone to buy them all over again. Any show with a huge cult following like the Monkees and Star Trek are always susceptible to this double-dipping. If I were to buy these, at the price they are... I'd at LEAST expect them to be up to the same picture quality as the Partridge Family! (Which theyr'e not) My Columbia House VHS from 1986 is cleaner!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I don't think they are going to be remastered anytime soon. Rhino doesn't exactly have a long history of remastering TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks