What's new

Directors The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and Villains) Draft! (2 Viewers)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Either Round 1 - Bracket 3 or Round 2 - Bracket 1
+03 Hermione Granger (3 pts for being kinda cute, but I renew my whole basic objection over wizards)
+01 Jed (You picked a Swayze character and it wasn't Dalton from Road House? Inconceivable!)
-03 Leon the Professional (You may realize at this point that I'm not your core audience. I've just always been more disturbed than entertained by Besson, especially this film.)
±00 Solid Snake (I've never played the games, so I must punt on this one.)
+09 William Wallace (Finally we can agree on someone. The mass mooning should be standard pre-battle formation.)
--------------------------
10 pts

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jan wins 5 - 1.

Jan can now replace any two of his characters with any two of Mike's.

Round 1 - Bracket 4

Nick Sievers

Agent Smith
C. Montgomery Burns
General Zod
Satan
The Terminator

vs.

Brian Kissinger

B.A. Baracus (The A-Team)
Bob Dylan
Jiminy Cricket
Mr. Kotter
Rich Little

My vote:

Agent Smith :emoji_thumbsup: 1/2 (Hugo Weaving rocks)
C. Montgomery Burns :emoji_thumbsup:
General Zod :emoji_thumbsup: (would have preferred Ursa)
Satan :emoji_thumbsup: (assuming this is the South Parkian version)
The Terminator :emoji_thumbsup:

B.A. Baracus :emoji_thumbsup: (would have preferred whats-his-name, the crazy guy...)
Bob Dylan :emoji_thumbsup: (oh Bob, when did you turn evil?)
Jiminy Cricket 1/2 (get out the Raid!)
Mr. Kotter :emoji_thumbsup: (would have preferred Mrs. Kotter)
Rich Little :emoji_thumbsup: (Hollywood Squares must not be paying enough)

Gotta go with Nick.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Well, I got bored with Brian's (you ought to include his name in the matchup, BTW) joke picks after a while. On the other hand, I consider non-human characters to be kind of a cheat, and Nick's got three (or four, if you count Zod) to Brian's one. So I'll go with Brian.

Mad Dog Murdock

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Though Kotter would give Satan all he could handle in a death match, the bug is the real sticking point for me (though he could probably sing his enemies to death).

Nick

I'll stick with my roster. :)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Well, I got bored with Brian's joke picks after a while.
This may be the only time you hear me make any comment of substance (or at least non-dumbassish) in this thread.

Once upon a time there was a man named brian. He was given his hand to play in the great poker game of life. Early in the game his cards weren't all that great. But you can always make that magic draw. Try as he might, he kept coming up with crap. Then about half-way through the game, he hit it. He threw three cards and drew into a full house. And he raked a huge pot. A couple hands later, he hit that same full house and bet large. However that bitch of an opponent Life, was sitting on 4 of a kind. From that point on, all brian wanted to do was sit back and enjoy the game. Sometimes he hits, and sometimes he misses, but he tries to enjoy himself. He realized that no matter how good you think you got it, you can be knocked down a rung or two real quick. So make the bet if you got it, but don't go overboard. And when you hit, rake with a smile and when you burn, bitch a lot.

I realize that makes little to no sense to anyone but me. But here's the beauty in that. I like it. I don't want to be that guy who when he makes a bet, you know he's sitting on something pretty. And I don't want to be the bluffer either.

I stated at the beginning that my normal hi-jinks would be included in my participation. And much like every poker game I sit down to, I didn't expect to win or even compete. I expected to have a good time. And I did. But often it feels like even that is asking too much anymore.

And Martin, don't think that I was offended by your remarks, or that this is any way, shape or form a bash or complaint against you. If I was playing this game for real, I'd most likely be annoyed by the "dumb guys" picks too. And I only joined because no eighth player ever seemed to come along. It's just something that has been building. I'm not sure if this forum is the best suited for my particular personality. It's just that I liked several members here, and moving on is proving more difficult than it would seem.

And by the way, I vote for Nick.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I like your humor Brian. And I don't have any problem with funny picks, I think they're great, I wasn't "annoyed" at all. I just meant that that particular joke (i.e., picking someone who's not at all tough, except B.A. Baracus, of course) got a little worn out after a few rounds. IMHO.

I, for one, would certainly miss your personality if you left.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Round 1 - Bracket 4

+07 Agent Smith (Keep in mind that I haven't seen Revolutions yet, so I don't know if his score should be higher or lower.)
+07 C. Montgomery Burns (I'd rate him higher, but he's weaker than an infant and he can't remember the names of his enemies.)
+08 General Zod (I have these dichotomous images of Terence Stamp in my head - menacing General Zod & flamboyant Drag Queen. Suddenly I find myself imagining Terence Stamp as General Zod sodomizing Terence Stamp as Bernadette. Is that wrong? Bernadette seems to like it.)
+07 Satan (Had you picked Bill Cosby or Liz Hurley or even Billy Crystal as Satan I would have gone up to 9 pts. Pacino, however, only gets you seven.)
+10 The Terminator (The anchor of your team, only handicapped by his vulnerability to being reprogrammed into a good robot.)
----------------
+39 pts

vs.

+04 B.A. Baracus (He's not a villain! He's a good guy! Don't listen to what that bastard Col. Decker says. They were wrongfully accused. So this is +09 for the character, -05 for miscategorization.)
+08 Bob Dylan (You used to be so amused, at Napoleon in rags and the language that he used. Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse. When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal. How does it feel?)
+03 Jiminy Cricket (He demonstrated some skill for manipulation in his role as consiglieri to Don Gepetto and Pinocchio, but I'm still pretty sure he's supposed to be a good guy.)
+09 Mr. Kotter (People blame drugs, television and movie violence, video games, and various other influences for the sad state of American youth today, but it was the institutional championship of low standards initiated by Mr. Kotter that is the true culprit. Seriously people! If Horshack would have just applied himself he could have been a solid B student.)
+05 Rich Little (He's not very rich, and I'd guess he's at least 5'7". Freakin' liar!)
----------------
+29 pts

Nick claims my vote. I nominate Brian for Miss Congeniality. :D

Brad

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
To get this back on track, I don't understand the lack of power everyone is giving one Mr. Jiminy Cricket. He is your damn conscience. When you get those evil feelings (like when you happen upon that buxom girl who happens to be completely passed out and everyone else happens to be in the other room and you happen to have had a crush on her since the third grade and you get those urges......that's when fuckin' Jiminy rears his ugly head) but are unable to act upon them. If that isn't true power, then I don't know what is. Unless your talking mind-control. That would be better.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I also admire Brian's arcane silliness and well-kept hairdo. Let's be nice to the weirdo! :D

Nick Sievers

Agent Smith - Mega-cool. 9 points.

C. Montgomery Burns - Even better than mega-cool. 10 points.

General Zod - Gotta love the little hand-motion Terence Stamp offers before bellowing "KNEEL before Zod!" 7 points.

Satan - Meh. Overrated. 4 points.

The Terminator - If we're talking about the Terminator from part 1 only...8 points.

Total = 38

vs.

Brian Kissinger

B.A. Baracus (The A-Team) - I was never a big fan of the show, even as a kid. But still, a goofball cultural icon if ever there was one. 7 points.

Bob Dylan - He gets 10 for songwriting skills, 4 for singing skills, 2 for that atrocious movie he was just in, and 9 for being one of those "immortal rocker" type folks...which even out to let's say...8 points.

Jiminy Cricket - He's an insect. He's your conscience. He wears a suit and carries an umbrella. 7 points.

Mr. Kotter - I'm bound by Jewishness to give the guy at least a passing score, plus it helps that his series was a family favorite back when I was a young hebe-let. 8 points.

Rich Little - Not a fan. Sorry, Brian. The guy's a talented fella, but still...not a fan. 5 points.

Total = 35 points

Nick gets the vote. And I also vote for more weirdness.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm not sure if this forum is the best suited for my particular personality.
C'mon buddy, your posts are always good for a few laughs. If it wasn't for that and Rice pissing everyone off, this place would be SO boring. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Nick wins 5 - 1.

Same routine, Nick can swap up to two characters...

Round 1 - Bracket 5

Brad Porter

Dirty Harry Callahan
Hercules
James Bond
Mad Max
Sydney Bristow

vs.

Nick Sievers

Ash
The Bride
Bruce Lee
Jack Bauer
Jack Burton

My vote:

Dirty Harry :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Hercules :emoji_thumbsup: (good to have around for heavy lifting, but Thor is cooler)
James Bond :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (keep your damn hands off Sydney)
Mad Max :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Sydney Bristow
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ash :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The Bride :emoji_thumbsup: 1/2 (she could have made things easier on herself with a machine gun)
Bruce Lee :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Jack Bauer - Even. (not familiar with him)
Jack Burton - Even.

Gotta go with Brad.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I'll abstain, while freely admitting that Nick's team of heroes was probably the one I feared matching up against the most. Not that he would get my vote over me, mind you. :D

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks