What's new

Directors The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and Villains) Draft! (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
This may not be fair, but I'm matching them up as they are listed.

Benjamin Franklin VS Ellen Ripley

What we got here in its most elemental form is acid vs lightning. Touching either happens to scare the shit out of me, so there is no real edge there. Lightning makes my dog shake like giant vibrator. Cool on the nights I wished I had a vibrating bed, but otherwise it just makes me sad for him. Advantage acid. Lightning also sets a sweet, wicked mood though. Love all. So I think we have to look past the elements. Franklin, as we have been led to believe, was quite the kite flyer. Ripley is quite the spacecraft flyer. Love all. Franklin wore a wig. Ripley shaved for her role in Alien. Advantage Ripley! Franklin went on to master electricity...without which I couldn't type this meaningless drivel. Ripley went on to star in Ghostbusters II. Love all. Ripley as we all know is hooked on iocane powder....which as we all know is from Australia. Oh...wait...nevermind. This one seems too close to call. Both are deserving of a victory. So I guess I'll go with which one I'd rather have on my team. I guess if I was due to take on Pacific State in the school Science meet, I'd want Franklin. But if it was any other day of the year, I'd probably rather oogle Ripley. Plus those smart guys make me feel so dumb. I'll give my vote to Ripley.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer VS Han Solo

Now I know part of you fellow HTF's who think I'm going to throw a quick vote to Buffy for perhaps the same shallow reason I voted for Ripley. However, there is something you should be aware of. Most of the time I consider myself a pretty stout heterosexual. I mean aside from those momentary mental images of making sweet love to your best friend while he's tied up and helpless that we all have, I pretty much dig the ladies! But, deep down in those places I don't like to talk about, I got a bit of a crush on one Mr. Harrison Ford. So we can throw the shallow vote right out the window. So now we must break this one down. Han has taken on evil empires, stormtroopers galore, and probably had to discipline an ewok or two. Buffy has slayed vampires galore, knows kung-fu, and has dated an evil being or two. Love all. Both look good in leather...oops, back to the shallow thing. Sorry. Uh...both have a huge following. Han can fly the Falcon, Buffy can drive a car. This is really getting me nowhere. So in a fight, who wins? I say Han if he has his blaster, and we all know he never leaves home without his blaster. I bet he even keeps it under his pillow when making Jedi Twins. So my vote goes to Han.

Gandalf the White VS Indiana Jones

Damn, that sexy-ass Harrison keeps popping up all over the place. Indy is suave, Gandalf is too, but not the in the same kind of way. Indy has dealt with the forces of nature and God, and came away the better for it. Gandalf is a bit Godly. Indy is the king of facial expressions. Gandalf has a cool fucking beard. Indy has a cool whip, Gandalf has a stick. Indy is the kind of guy who probably wears clean underwear. I've never seen Gandalf take a bath....or anyone in Middle Earth for that matter. I'd like to see Arwen take a bath... or perhaps Arwen giving Galadriel a nice sponge bath.....but I'm getting off topic here. I guess both had short side-kicks at one point. In the end, I'm giving my vote to Indy. I might vote differently tomorrow.

Wolverine VS John McClane

I think McClane has to be one of the most over-rated characters around town. Sure he was cool in Die hard 1, but after that it just got old. Wolverine is a cool, don't give a shit kind of guy. Wolverine gets an easy vote from me.

Wong Fei-Hung VS Superman

I can't even pronounce Wong Fei-Hung. Although it's pretty cool that Hung is in his name. If my name was Hung, I bet I get a lot more dates. Actually, I don't like Superman very much. I give my vote to he Hung- guy.

So in the end, it's 3 votes to Scott's team to 2 for Martin. So I declare Scott the victor!!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Same voting scheme that I used in the superheroes draft, except this time my scale goes from -11 to +11.

Round 1 - Bracket 1

+11 Benjamin Franklin (unconventional pick, smart guy, liked to party and bang French chicks)
+07 Buffy the Vampire Slayer (she's hot and sarcastic, but since touching Freddie Prinze, Jr. she is "damaged goods")
+03 Gandalf the White (I don't like wizards or magic or trolls or unicorns or any of that crap. Deal with it.)
+08 Wolverine (He'll fuck you up pretty bad.)
±00 Wong Fei-Hung (I have no fucking clue who this is.)
------------------
+28 pts

vs.

+06 Ellen Ripley (I liked her in the first two films, but making me think about the other two films cost you 5 pts.)
+08 Han Solo (He is a little pussy whipped, don'cha think? Chewbacca was the star of this duo.)
+09 Indiana Jones (-2 pts for doubling-up on Harrison Ford characters. You chose wisely not to also draft "Regarding Henry".)
+08 John McClane (The prototype action hero. Everybody else is just trying to duplicate his persona.)
+07 Superman (-2 pts for "The Quest for Peace". -2 pts because I'm always forced to shout "Miss Teschmacher!" when I see Valerie Perrine.)
---------------
+38 pts

Scott wins by a rather ample margin.

Brad

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
(I don't like wizards or magic or trolls or unicorns or any of that crap. Deal with it.)
I can see not liking wizards and trolls. I understand not being into LOTR and all that crap. But how can you not like magic and unicorns? I can only assume your mother was gored by a unicorn, and your father was an amateur magician who was paralyzed from a trick gone bad. If that isn't the case, then your heart is cold. You need a wizard to warm it up.

:)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Clarification:

I like real-life magicians and illusionists. I hate spellcasting and witches and wizards and all of the fictional "magic". And I was bitten by a rabid unicorn one day in a leafy glade. They really don't like for you to ride on them. :D

Brad

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
What we got here in its most elemental form is acid vs lightning...
Methinks someone has either been struck by lightning or dropping acid. :crazy:

My vote:

Benjamin Franklin :emoji_thumbsup:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer :emoji_thumbsup: 1/2
Gandalf the White - Even.
Wolverine :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Wong Fei-Hung :emoji_thumbsup: (not too familiar with him)

vs.

Ellen Ripley :emoji_thumbsup:
Han Solo :emoji_thumbsup:
Indiana Jones :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
John McClane :emoji_thumbsup:
Superman :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott by a hair.

I also thought about picking a roster of men in black:

Zorro
Batman
Solomon Kane
The Shadow
Snake Plissken

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Scott wins 5 - 1.

Scott: you can now replace up to two characters from your team with any two from Martin's team.

By the luck of the draw, Scott is right out the gate again...

Round 1 - Bracket 2

SteveGon

Alex DeLarge (A Clockwork Orange)
Boba Fett
Ernst Stavro Blofeld (the Bond films)
Iago (Othello)
Long John Silver (Treasure Island)

vs.

Scott Weinberg

Jaws (the shark, not the Bond villain)
John Ryder (The Hitcher)
Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects)
Nurse Mildred Ratched (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
The Wicked Witch of the West

I'll abstain on the vote. :)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm voting for Steve because he doesn't have any fish. Though Ratched and the Wicked Witch are inspired choices.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
A shark is a mammal, not a fish. This message brought to you by the Association of Annoying Smartasses.

Round 1 - Bracket 2
+04 Alex DeLarge (This is one of those films that never really appealed to me. Alex seems to get beat up too easily.)
-05 Boba Fett (I've never grasped the appeal of this character. My theory is that he's so popular simply because he was a difficult action figure to acquire. I've seen him fight once and he got his ass kicked by a blind Han Solo. Pfffft, I say.)
+07 Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Don't talk to Bond, just kill him. This guy got the closest to that ideal.)
+08 Iago (Way to think outside the box. He's a pretty wicked fellow, but can he expand his hatred outside of the small circle of family and friends.)
+06 Long John Silver (I can't explain it, but I really like the chicken planks. And I always ask for a little dish of the crispy batter remainders. Mostly they don't charge you, but some of them charge a quarter. I know, heart attack city... what, the literary character? Oh...)
--------------------
20 pts

vs.

+07 Jaws (You say it's the one from the first movie, but I'm still giving -4 pts for the other movies.)
+02 John Ryder (I've never actually seen this movie, but you get 2 pts for Rutger Hauer independent of the role.)
+10 Keyser Soze (One mean, twisted mofo. I'm deducting 1 pt. for no particular reason - just to be mysterious.)
+09 Nurse Mildred Ratched ("Medication. Medication." Bitch!)
+04 The Wicked Witch of the West (Sure she's mean and all, but killed by a bucket of water????? Not evil enough.)
--------------------
32 pts

Advantage Mr. Weinberg. Sorry Steve.

Brad

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
My bad. I thought that since some sharks give birth to live young that they were mammals. They should be mammals, shouldn't they. How did we let the big sharks go over to the fish team? When the Great Chordata War starts, we (Mammalia) should team up with the Chondrichthyes (sharks) to wipe out the Osteichthyes (most of the other fish). They can have the Sirenia (sea-cows) in exchange.

Ah, the internet... making ignorant people seem smarter for about 10 years or so. :D

Brad

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'll follow my opponent's move and abstain in this matchup as well. ;)

I will make one replacement on my hero list. Someone commented that I was knocked down a few pegs because I had two separate Harrison Ford characters, and I agree with that assessment.

So I'll drop Han Solo and snag Gandy the Super-Wizard.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Scott wins 4 - 1.

Same routine: Scott can replace two characters from his roster with any from mine.

Round 1 - Bracket 3

Mike Hutman

Hermione Granger
Jed (Red Dawn)
Leon the Professional
Solid Snake (Metal Gear games)
William Wallace

vs

Jan H

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Conan the Barbarian
The Man With No Name
Robin Hood

My vote:

Hermione Granger :emoji_thumbsup: (she'll be a hottie some day)
Jed - Even. (hardly remember Red Dawn)
Leon :emoji_thumbsup:
Solid Snake - Even. (clueless with this one)
William Wallace :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Batman :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Bugs Bunny :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Conan :emoji_thumbsup: (prefer Howard's Solomon Kane over Conan)
The Man With No Name :emoji_thumbsup:
Robin Hood :emoji_thumbsup:

Gotta go with Jan

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Same routine: Scott can replace two characters from his roster with any from mine.
Think I'll stick with my five. :)

---

Mike Hutman

Hermione Granger - Meh. 2 points.
Jed (Red Dawn) - That's better. 5 points.
Leon the Professional - Great pick. 8 points.
Solid Snake (Metal Gear games) - Not bad. 5 points.
William Wallace - Love the blue face paint. 7 points.

Total: 27 points

vs

Jan H

Batman - Aggregate rating considering ALL incarnations = 7 points
Bugs Bunny - Antagonistic, Invincible, Hilarious = 9 points
Conan the Barbarian - Comic Books + Lamentation of deir vimmen = 8 points.
The Man With No Name - JEALOUSY PICK: WISH I CLAIMED THIS ONE. - 9 points
Robin Hood - Shrek version and Mel Brooks versions included = 7 points

Total: 40 points

Jan gets the vote!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks