What's new

The Kremlin Letter (1970) DVD (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Nothing in the E Mail from SAE about what extras, if any, might be included on these beyond the isolated score. I am particularly interested in the original trailers and whether or not they will be on some of these.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got the email today -- it's on its way! Looking forward to seeing the first of this series, and to seeing The Kremlin Letter for my first time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Got [COLOR= #0000cd]The Kremlin Letter [/COLOR]in today's mail. Didn't watch it yet but put it in and scanned it. It's a nice clean anamorphic 2.35 transfer in mono. No extras other than the isolated score. There is a nice booklet with the film's original theatrical poster on the back which I wish they had used for the DVD's jacket.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same. Arrived in one day. I'll echo that sentiment, but I am thrilled to have it.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
The included booklet addresses the missing footage:

"It should be noted that speculation has swirled about a missing one minute and eight seconds of footage apparently included - according to some fascinating reportage by Brad Stevens in the May/June 2010 issue of Video Watchdog - in a pan-an-scan transfer of the film screened in the 1980s on UK television's ITV channel. The cut material, which takes place, in part, at a performance by the Bolshoi Ballet, was reportedly accompanied by music from the ballet.

And in fact, while preparing this release, the folks at Twilight Time did discover approximately a minute of music from Giselle on the foreign music-and-effects track. This would seem to indicate that the cut was made early on in post-production, with the footage left, for one reason or another, in some foreign versions of the film. But that footage was not and never has been part of any U.S. release print - and further, the cut was not implemented, as has sometimes been speculated, by anyone other than Huston, himself."

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Can someone who has received this DVD tell me what the UPC number is (ALL the numbers under the barcode)? Thanks!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
How hard can it be to locate and include the trailer? I may have to stick with my Fox Movie Channel copy, though it's not anamoprhic.Maybe I can find someone who has Fox Movie Channel HD and get a 16x9 copy. I enjoy the film, but I don't need to spend the money right now just to get it enhanced and have a booklet.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There is a review of Screen Archive's/Twilight Time's DVD release of The Kremlin Letter on DVD Beaver.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
In the DVD Beaver review it mentions the word 'interlaced'. Is that a good or bad thing?

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

In the DVD Beaver review it mentions the word 'interlaced'. Is that a good or bad thing?
It's bad. There is no need for a DVD made of film content to be encoded interlaced, it just means there will be an extra step of processing required before it is displayed on a TV, which means reduced image quality than what would other wise be the case if the DVD was encoded as progressive.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

It's bad. There is no need for a DVD made of film content to be encoded interlaced, it just means there will be an extra step of processing required before it is displayed on a TV, which means reduced image quality than what would other wise be the case if the DVD was encoded as progressive.

Nevertheless it's an upgrade from the print aired on Fox Movie Channel. I have it and I'm not displeased. (Extras -- other than music! -- would be nice though.)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Amazon UK have a pre-order listing page up for The Kremlin Letter, with a release date of Monday 25th July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks