What's new

The John Wayne Film Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vic Pardo said:
WAR OF THE WILDCATS was made at Republic, while TALL IN THE SADDLE was made at RKO. For reasons that other historians may be able to articulate better, that makes a big difference somehow. Both studios had their strengths, of course, but TALL IN THE SADDLE had Ella Raines, which kind of trumps a lot of other aspects.

For the record, TALL IN THE SADDLE was the first Hollywood film to be released in Japan after the war.
Hubba, hubba!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Turned it off."Nooooo! You can never do that to any film. If you start, you have to finish it. That's the "rule".(I'm only half-kidding...)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
David_B_K said:
OK, as long as it's not The Undefeated.
IMO, The Undefeated represented John Wayne's return to making B westerns...which he churned out by the dozens in the 1930s. These films would contain minimal story, and bare bones production value. The string would continue into the 1970s with such cookie-cutter films as Chisum, The Train Robbers, and Cahill. I believe a big reason for this was Michael Wayne running Batjac. He felt his fathers name alone was enough to carry the movie, and all other aspects into making a good movie could be cut out. The only time Duke really made anything of significance at this point of his career, was when he work away from his own production company (The Cowboys & The Shootist).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am dying to see Wayne's final film, The Shootist -- however I am not going to
purchase a DVD. I will wait for a Blu-ray to surface one of these days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
I always - always - shed a little tear at the title sequence of The Shootist.

BTW, Jim, I agree with every word.
Knowing the timeline of his death, I too tear up everytime I watched that sequence as well as the end.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That can be a tough one, watching and thinking about both Wayne and Stewart.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
jim_falconer said:
IMO, The Undefeated represented John Wayne's return to making B westerns...which he churned out by the dozens in the 1930s. These films would contain minimal story, and bare bones production value. The string would continue into the 1970s with such cookie-cutter films as Chisum, The Train Robbers, and Cahill. I believe a big reason for this was Michael Wayne running Batjac. He felt his fathers name alone was enough to carry the movie, and all other aspects into making a good movie could be cut out. The only time Duke really made anything of significance at this point of his career, was when he work away from his own production company (The Cowboys & The Shootist).
I like Chisum and think it's a cut above the others mentioned as second-rate. I was looking forward to a BD from France last December, but it was postponed. Hopefully, the release date there for this coming December will turn out correct.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
John Hermes said:
I like Chisum and think it's a cut above the others mentioned as second-rate. I was looking forward to a BD from France last December, but it was postponed. Hopefully, the release date there for this coming December will turn out correct.
Oh, I'm not saying I would not get the BD of these films if they do eventually get released in North America. I gladly picked up his B westerns from the 1930s, once Olive started releasing them. What I'm saying is that Chisum, and other movies produced by Batjac during this time period of Duke's career, lacked the direction, scripts, and supporting actors to make the films memorable. The films are fun, and a fine way to spend a couple of hours...but I would never get excited for the release of them on BD, with the same enthusiasm of, let's say, the release of "They Were Expendable", "Tall In The Saddle", "In Harm's Way", or "The Shootist".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jim_falconer said:
Oh, I'm not saying I would not get the BD of these films if they do eventually get released in North America. I gladly picked up his B westerns from the 1930s, once Olive started releasing them. What I'm saying is that Chisum, and other movies produced by Batjac during this time period of Duke's career, lacked the direction, scripts, and supporting actors to make the films memorable. The films are fun, and a fine way to spend a couple of hours...but I would never get excited for the release of them on BD, with the same enthusiasm of, let's say, the release of "They Were Expendable", "Tall In The Saddle", "In Harm's Way", or "The Shootist".
Right, though I think Chisum is better than forementioned Wayne 70s titles. However, not in class with the four titles you listed.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Right, though I think Chisum is better than forementioned Wayne 70s titles. However, not in class with the four titles you listed.
For me, Chisum has very little going for it (and I realize many people enjoy the film, so take this with a grain of salt). It opens with one of the most horrendous title songs I could ever image. Half sung, half spoken, totally hokey. Then is there is the over-the-top sneering villain who steals Duke's horses. Obviously an American actor, putting on a very bad Mexican accent. He'd have been great in the kiddie TV westerns from the 1950s. And could Batjac have hired anyone worst to portray Billy The Kid? And what about Duke's niece in the film...she looks so 1970, it's laughable. Then the movie totally stops in its tracks to...wait for this...sing a 3 minute love song about, you guessed it, Billy The Kid. At this point, I'm literally wincing. I think the only positive I can say about the film is that Forrest Tucker was a great choice to play Lawrence Murphy. He was excellent in Sands Of Iwo Jima, and just as good in this film.

Again, this is all my own take on the movie, and not meant to change anyone's mind about it, that truly enjoys it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jim_falconer said:
For me, Chisum has very little going for it (and I realize many people enjoy the film, so take this with a grain of salt). It opens with one of the most horrendous title songs I could ever image. Half sung, half spoken, totally hokey. Then is there is the over-the-top sneering villain who steals Duke's horses. Obviously an American actor, putting on a very bad Mexican accent. He'd have been great in the kiddie TV westerns from the 1950s. And could Batjac have hired anyone worst to portray Billy The Kid? And what about Duke's niece in the film...she looks so 1970, it's laughable. Then the movie totally stops in its tracks to...wait for this...sing a 3 minute love song about, you guessed it, Billy The Kid. At this point, I'm literally wincing. I think the only positive I can say about the film is that Forrest Tucker was a great choice to play Lawrence Murphy. He was excellent in Sands Of Iwo Jima, and just as good in this film.

Again, this is all my own take on the movie, and not meant to change anyone's mind about it, that truly enjoys it.
Everybody's opinion is welcome, no matter how wrong it may be. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jim_falconer said:
Ha, well said :P
Seriously, I would give anything to have Tall in the Saddle on BD. I watched the 1080p presentation of it on Warner Instant, twice in a two week period. Definitely among my ten favorite Wayne films. An emotional tie in from my childhood. A Million Dollar Movie favorite on Channel 9.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Seriously, I would give anything to have Tall in the Saddle on BD. I watched the 1080p presentation of it on Warner Instant, twice in a two week period. Definitely among my ten favorite Wayne films. An emotional tie in from my childhood. A Million Dollar Movie favorite.
Absolutely! The films cooks along at a brisk 77 minute run time, and yet has more plot than most 4 hour films. I literally had to see the movie at least ten times, before I truly had a handle on the complicated plot. Positively one of Duke's finest westerns!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
jim_falconer said:
I really like the 1970s films. There are a lot of over the top elements, but for pure entertainment value they rock. I am also not not a fan of The Cowboys, but for reasons other than quality. IMO The Undefeated is a rare Wayne stinker.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ronald Epstein said:
Boy, I'm glad that's over...

Just wasted two hours of my life watching North To Alaska.

What a mess that film was. Not an ounce bit funny, despite all
the (sometimes clever) slapstick comedy.

I suppose I am not a fan of Mr. Wayne's comedy films. I didn't
particularly care for McLintock! either.
If you haven't seen Donovan's Reef, you shouldn't give up on Wayne's comedies. Although it has it's slapstick elements, its structure seems borrowed from classical Greek comedy. Directed by John Ford, it's a wonderful film and one that, IMO, really makes you glad to be alive. As I would with just about any Ford film, I would really recommend Tag Gallagher's analysis of it in his book on Ford. Not on blu yet, but I'm hoping.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
John Wayne is my all time favorite actor! I differ in opinion from many John Wayne fans I guess in that I really enjoy The Undefeated, Chisum, and The Train Robbers. Also, MCQ is my favorite all time movie! Rio Lobo is my 2nd All Time Favorite Movie! Also The Green Berets is another one of Duke's best and among my all time favorite movies! I also really like Brannigan! The two John Wayne movies that may be well made but will always have a black mark for me are The Cowboys and The Shootist. The Cowboys could have been pretty good, but I did not like the fact Duke dies in the movie. I remember seeing this movie in the theatres with my family when I was about 6 years old and how the family did not like it due to Duke's death. I wathced it again many years ago and I was suprised I liked it better than I thought I would but Duke's death ruins the movie! As for the Shootist, no doubt fine acting but it is a depressing, sad, and dark movie. Also, saw this in theatres when I was ten. It is sad seeing John Wayne look so old, ugly and nasty as JB Books. To see John Wayne in this condition is hard t o watch and what makes it even sadder is knowing in real life John Wayne was also suffering a variety of ailments. The movie's message in my opinion is very dark, cynical, and depressing. While it may be well made it is unpleasant to me. Give me John T. Chance, Lon McQ, Jim Brannigan, Mike Kirby, Chance Buckman, Lane, John Henry Thomas, etc any day over the depressing JB Books!

Take Care!

Robert

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
JoeDoakes said:
If you haven't seen Donovan's Reef, you shouldn't give up on Wayne's comedies. Although it has it's slapstick elements, its structure seems borrowed from classical Greek comedy. Directed by John Ford, it's a wonderful film and one that, IMO, really makes you glad to be alive. As I would with just about any Ford film, I would really recommend Tag Gallagher's analysis of it in his book on Ford. Not on blu yet, but I'm hoping.
I also love Donovan's Reef and make a point of watching it every Christmas Eve. This is another JW film that just makes me smile from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks