What's new

The John Wayne Film Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
I will agree that he has the warmth and charm that makes him perfect for these
kind of comedy films.

However, my criticism wasn't against Wayne himself, but the mess that the film was.
I don't even think the movie was well scripted. It's all over the place.

Robert's response was kind of interesting, as I was thinking the exact same thing while
watching --- that is, this is the kind of film that probably appealed to young audiences or
the kind of climate within that era.

Watching it today, for the first time and as an adult, just doesn't have the same impact.

Probably would nearly have the same reaction if I had just watched IT'S A MAD MAD
MAD MAD WORLD for the first time today. Chances are it just doesn't have the same
level of impact as it did when it first showed, or if watched in one's youth.

Besides, I prefer Wayne in more serious roles.
A perfect example of a film as it pertains to me versus North to Alaska for you. I never watched IAMMMMW from beginning to end in my childhood, but have done so as an adult. It's an okay film, but I don't have a fondness for it like so many around here do for it.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Ronald Epstein said:
I will agree that he has the warmth and charm that makes him perfect for these
kind of comedy films.

However, my criticism wasn't against Wayne himself, but the mess that the film was.
I don't even think the movie was well scripted. It's all over the place.

Robert's response was kind of interesting, as I was thinking the exact same thing while
watching --- that is, this is the kind of film that probably appealed to young audiences or
the kind of climate within that era.

Watching it today, for the first time and as an adult, just doesn't have the same impact.

Probably would nearly have the same reaction if I had just watched IT'S A MAD MAD
MAD MAD WORLD for the first time today. Chances are it just doesn't have the same
level of impact as it did when it first showed, or if watched in one's youth.

Besides, I prefer Wayne in more serious roles.
I think I was already in college when I saw NORTH TO ALASKA for the first time. It was on a b&w TV on a commercial broadcast station back in the day. I didn't like it then. And every time I've tried to sit through it on cable, in color, in the years since I've never been able to stick with it. Now that I think of it, I tend to feel the same way about Wayne's other comedies, e.g. MCLINTOCK and THE WAR WAGON. And maybe even DONOVAN'S REEF, although that has enough other good stuff in it, thanks to Marvin, Romero, Lamour and Elizabeth Allen, that I could probably stick with that a little easier again if the opportunity ever came up.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Vic Pardo said:
I think I was already in college when I saw NORTH TO ALASKA for the first time. It was on a b&w TV on a commercial broadcast station back in the day. I didn't like it then. And every time I've tried to sit through it on cable, in color, in the years since I've never been able to stick with it. Now that I think of it, I tend to feel the same way about Wayne's other comedies, e.g. MCLINTOCK and THE WAR WAGON. And maybe even DONOVAN'S REEF, although that has enough other good stuff in it, thanks to Marvin, Romero, Lamour and Elizabeth Allen, that I could probably stick with that a little easier again if the opportunity ever came up.
I don't think I'd call The War Wagon a comedy. It's has some humor, yes, but a lot of guys get killed in that film and it has a more serious tone than the others mentioned above.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
I don't think I'd call The War Wagon a comedy. It's has some humor, yes, but a lot of guys get killed in that film and it has a more serious tone than the others mentioned above.
Right, a lot of killing in it. Definitely, not a comedic western like McLintock.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
A perfect example of a film as it pertains to me versus North to Alaska for you. I never watched IAMMMMW from beginning to end in my childhood, but have done so as an adult. It's an okay film, but I don't have a fondness for it like so many around here do for it.
Same here on both counts - IAMMMMW I found mildly amusing but definitely not something particularly funny or worth repeat viewing; North to Alaska on the other hand I enjoy much more. I should say though that I don't really think of North to Alaska as a "comedy", I just consider it a light-hearted John Wayne film. It doesn't make me laugh out loud, it just puts me in a good mood because it shows a less serious side to the Duke.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I defintely agree with you Jim! John Wayne is my all time favorite actor and North To Alaska is one of my favorite all time movies! I enjoyed the comedy and it was fun seeing John Wayne in this movie. I also enjoyed the supporting cast of Stewart Granger, Capuccinni, Ernie Kovaks, Fabian, and Mickey S. North To Alaska is one of the Top John Wayne films. The great thing about movies and TV is everyone can have their own opinion. If you like it you do and if you don't you don't! That is the way it is and should be. As for North To Alaska, me and Jim are on " the same side of the fence" while we are on" the Opposite side of the fence" than Ron . That is fine and and good! There are films I am sure that we will all be "on the same side of the fence"! Just not North To Alaska!

Take Care Jim and Ronald!

Robert
jim_falconer said:
Wow, I could not not disagree with your assessment anymore. North To Alaska has me smiling from the moment it starts right to it's 121 minute conclusion. John Wayne was made for light hearted comedy, and there is no better example than this film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Got through about 45 minutes of The Undefeated.

Turned it off. Just wasn't getting into it.

Seemed like an out-of-prime Wayne movie.

Transfer looked pretty darned good. Was surprised by the
remix to the surrounds (rain and horse hoofs).

Kind of wondering if I have already seen the best that this set
has to offer.

A friend of mine recommended Sons of Katie Elder. Will look
to obtain that on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:

Transfer looked pretty darned good. Was surprised by the
remix to the surrounds (rain and horse hoofs).

Kind of wondering if I have already seen the best that this set
has to offer.

A friend of mine recommended Sons of Katie Elder. Will look
to obtain that on Blu-ray.
Not available on BD, might be in some other region. Sorry to hear about The Undefeated. I guess that's one is just for big time John Wayne films like myself that enjoy him in any type of film.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
Not available on BD, might be in some other region. Sorry to hear about The Undefeated. I guess that's one is just for big time John Wayne films like myself that enjoy him in any type of film.
On The Sons of Katie Elder, one of my favorite Wayne films from the 60's. A BD, I believe, would look great. It's been shown on HDNet Movies and looks excellent so it appears a master is available. Maybe next Father's Day (that seems to be a prime release time for JW films).

As for The Undefeated, not at the top of my JW list, but thought the BD was excellent. I think the film is an acquired taste....Rock Hudson's "southern" accent has always taken me out of the film at time...just overdone IMO.

Off topic (at least for this collection), but there's still a ton of JW not on BD......one's I'd love to see (and would recommend to you Ron for viewing, even on DVD/Streaming until/if a BD is released):

They Were Expendable
Back to Bataan
The Train Robbers
Chisum
McQ (JW's 1st attempt to emulate Dirty Harry, directed by John Sturges)
The Shootist
The High and the Mighty
No Island in the Sky
The Wings of Eagles

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:

I've never cared much for The Undefeated, either. Aside from the potent teaming of two all-time stars in Wayne and Hudson, it was just a routine western for me. I've seen it a few times, but consider it only OK. I was disappointed to see it get so many votes during the Fox Vote Your Choice thing.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find Andrew V. McLaglen pretty hit and miss (and more the latter - even the hits aren't outstanding IMHO); it's not exactly revelatory but generally, the better the director the harder Wayne was worked - you can't really go wrong when you have Ford, Hawks, Hathaway or Siegel at the helm.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
David_B_K said:
I've never cared much for The Undefeated, either. Aside from the potent teaming of two all-time stars in Wayne and Hudson, it was just a routine western for me. I've seen it a few times, but consider it only OK. I was disappointed to see it get so many votes during the Fox Vote Your Choice thing.
So was I. I figured North to Alaska would be one of the winners, but I never dreamed Wayne fans would stuff the ballot box for the unquestionably second-tier The Undefeated. I so much wanted Two for the Road!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Undefeated is an average John Wayne film. Better for fans of John Wayne like myself but not among his top films. North To Alaska on the other hand is a great Wayne film not really funny as others have said but great light hearted Wayne fun similar to Hatari. I found it a bit of an acquired taste though as I wasn't thrilled with it the 1st time either. It took me by surprise and was not what I was expecting. After I watched it a second time knowing what to expect going in, the film opened up to me and I like it quite a bit now. Probably seen it 6 times.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I would also recommend WAR OF THE WILDCATS, a 1943 Republic picture (available on Blu-ray from Olive Films). A fun and light-hearted Wayne film with Albert Dekker and Gabby Hayes.
THE SPOILERS with Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott (in a rare "bad guy" role) is one of my favorites as well but not available on Blu-ray.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
John Hermes said:
You may be right. I saw it on TV decades ago but all I remember is the comedy. IIRC, the trailer, which I saw in a theater when it came out, played up the humor and that sort of got imprinted on my brain.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
atfree said:
On The Sons of Katie Elder, one of my favorite Wayne films from the 60's. A BD, I believe, would look great. It's been shown on HDNet Movies and looks excellent so it appears a master is available. Maybe next Father's Day (that seems to be a prime release time for JW films).

As for The Undefeated, not at the top of my JW list, but thought the BD was excellent. I think the film is an acquired taste....Rock Hudson's "southern" accent has always taken me out of the film at time...just overdone IMO.

Off topic (at least for this collection), but there's still a ton of JW not on BD......one's I'd love to see (and would recommend to you Ron for viewing, even on DVD/Streaming until/if a BD is released):

They Were Expendable
Back to Bataan
The Train Robbers
Chisum
McQ (JW's 1st attempt to emulate Dirty Harry, directed by John Sturges)
The Shootist
The High and the Mighty
No Island in the Sky
The Wings of Eagles
+1 on The Sons of Katie Elder. I'll keep pushing for that one until it comes out or I'm gone!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RBailey said:
I would also recommend WAR OF THE WILDCATS, a 1943 Republic picture (available on Blu-ray from Olive Films). A fun and light-hearted Wayne film with Albert Dekker and Gabby Hayes.
THE SPOILERS with Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott (in a rare "bad guy" role) is one of my favorites as well but not available on Blu-ray.
I have ordered War of the Wildcats based on your recommendation. In the McClintock! contest thread, someone recommended Tall in the Saddle which I also picked up. I loved that one, and Wildcats seems to be from that same era (and it's got Gabby in it again!), so I'll probably like it. I need to get more familiar with the films Wayne made when he was in his 30's, when he often played likeable good-humored characters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David_B_K said:
I have ordered War of the Wildcats based on your recommendation. In the McClintock! contest thread, someone recommended Tall in the Saddle which I also picked up. I loved that one, and Wildcats seems to be from that same era (and it's got Gabby in it again!), so I'll probably like it. I need to get more familiar with the films Wayne made when he was in his 30's, when he often played likeable good-humored characters.
War of the Wildcats is a good John Wayne film, but it's not Tall in the Saddle.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
David_B_K said:
WAR OF THE WILDCATS was made at Republic, while TALL IN THE SADDLE was made at RKO. For reasons that other historians may be able to articulate better, that makes a big difference somehow. Both studios had their strengths, of course, but TALL IN THE SADDLE had Ella Raines, which kind of trumps a lot of other aspects.

For the record, TALL IN THE SADDLE was the first Hollywood film to be released in Japan after the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks