What's new

The Fog - HD DVD reviews? Anyone get yet? (1 Viewer)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I know that the Studio Canal release of THE FOG (original) got an HD DVD release this week...

Did anyone recieve a copy yet?

Here's wonder how good the disc is...

Dugger

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

It ordered it from Amazon FR yesterday along with First Blood (Rambo 1) and got my confirmation of shipment yesterday so I should get it next week. I will post comments when I get a chance to watch it. Also ordered King Kong (1080's version) form Amazon Germany and will probably get Elephant Man from the same.

Just hoping I pushed the right buttons when I ordered it, as I do not read French or German.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Heres what I wrote at AVS......

Got it from xploited. Ordered it weds and got it today.

This looks fantastic compared to the MGM release.

Night and day difference. The dullness and lack of details is way up here. Colors are very vibrant!!!So much so that its kind of offputting. The Fog glow is completely different from the way its been seen before. Blacks are black and details can be seen in dark scenes which is important since the film is so dark.

Now I can also see this being a problem for those who have issues with grain in their HD PQ. Examples can be seen in the blue skys.

Huge improvement over the R1 release.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5e/htf_imgcache_3970.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/3/32/htf_imgcache_3971.jpeg] [/url]

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I agree with JonZ- not perfect, but miles ahead of the sd MGM release.

Thomas, have you ever ordered from Xploitedcinema? I used to import things myself, but after a couple bum shipments I turned to domestic retailers who import and find I now prefer that much more. Tony at XC is just about one of the finest niche retailers I've ever run across- for anything. Excellant service and excellant prices. I don't know him personally, or get any kickbacks, I'm just truly impressed with how efficent and professional he is.

I'm glad that all the (mostly)AVS business seems to be keeping him busy.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I'd say it's a fair price for an imported HD-DVD.

I've also used Xploited in the past and will continue to do so- great customer service and a great selection of otherwise nearly impossible to find titles.

Vincent

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I think so. Frankly I was expecting him to mark these up a few buck more.
After paying for shipping and the conversion fees most CC companies/banks tack on for overseas purchases, I think total cost of $36 I paid (with shipping) was emminently fair.

The big thing for me is, Tony is taking all the risks. If someone gets their order and the disc is loose and/or scratched to hell- they just ship it back to Ohio and Tony gets them out another one asap.
the kind of hassle and expense that would be involved in
1) trying to contact the original seller (some of the ones I seen at Amazon.fr are sold thru thrid party sellers not Amazon direct) in a language you don't speak to even get the info on return processing
2) paying for airmail shipping back (unless you don't want the replacement for a couple months)
3) waiting for them to get it and get you off another one

Just makes me sick (from personal experience).

From what i've seen Tonys prices are- at worst- at par with a direct order internationally. However I wouldn't expect an international order to be processed and arrive 3 days after placing it. Ezydvd Australia has always gotten stuff to me quickly- but Europe and the UK orders always seem to lollygag for some reason.

so with these considerations, yes I think it's an excellant price :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"An excellent price is $32.95 for "The Fog"?"

I was on the fence about this one as well becuase of the price. But combo discs costs that here anyway. Seeing as its such a huge step up from the previous DVD, if you like the film, then yes its worth it. I also dont think thats a unreasonable price for HDdiscs that wont be available in the US.

Imports are a great option for us. Theres a site with some HDs from Spain that include Underworld which is BR exclusive here in the US(I dont like the film but plenty of others do) I dont think $35 is too expsneive to be able to get a US BR exclusive on HD.

The Good The Bad & The Ugly is on the coming soon list. Hell yea its worth $35 to me :)

"However I wouldn't expect an international order to be processed and arrive 3 days after placing it."

Ive been using Yesasia for years for my Shaw Bros R3 discs. With expedite shipping, Ive often gotten my discs from them in 2 or 3 days as well. Never had a problem with them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmm, luckily, I'm a little more patient than some of you and will wait for a Region 1 release.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I forgot to say I have both formats so I can understand why some of you, who have HD DVD only would buy a disc priced that high. Until a Blu-ray release comes I'll have to do with upconverting my SD DD through my VP50 video processor.

Crawdaddy

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

So why the disparaging comments towards those who only own HD-DVD players and are buying imports of region 1 Blu-ray exclusives? It's great that you can afford to own both formats- not everybody does, and some of the HD-DVD only crowd have opted to buy HD-DVD imports of region 1 Blu-ray exclusives. What exactly does that have to do with being "patient"?

Vincent

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, stop with the atttitude when none is necessary in this discussion. You're fine with buying such discs at that pricepoint while I'm not. I have a personal preference against purchasing software with high MRSP. No further hijacking of this thread needs to take place, so I apologize and will excuse myself from commenting any further in this discussion.

Crawdaddy

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Jon, I just wondering what are the specs for this release? I'm planning to put them up over at Rewind and I will credit you.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
2:35 1080P 86 minutes

DTS-HD Master English
DTS-HD Hi Resolution French and Allemand(whatever that means)

Appears to only have English subtitles
Only extra is the trailer

Menus options are in:
French
Dutch
Finnish
Swedish
Norweigen
Netherlands
English

When you put this DVD in, you get a screen option asking for what language you want the menus to appear in.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This is another plus ordering these releases. Every one seems to have at minimum 2 HD audio tracks, either Dolby, or more likely DTS HD. Some have HD audio tracks in three languages.

I currently have or have on order Harry Potter, Elephant Man, Rambo (First Blood), King Kong (78), Fog (Carpenter version).

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the specs. :)
Have you tried selecting a different menu language? Maybe you get different subs depending on menu language.

EDIT: Added. The subtitles I guessed based on menu options. I'm presuming when you said 'Dutch' you meant 'Deutsch', which is what Germans call their language, seeing as you've got the Netherlands below.
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=10245

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Have you tried selecting a different menu language? Maybe you get different subs depending on menu language."

No I can do that when I get home if youd like. I didnt even think of that - that the subtitles may default to whatever language you chose for the menus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks