What's new

The Best Remote Control for my HT (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I need some help finding a remote that will control all of my equipment. I have listed my equipment below.

1. Tivo Series 2
2. Dish Network 811
3. Voom STB
4. Sony Projection TV
5. Onkyo 601 Receiver
6. Onkyo 301 DVD Player

I want something that will control all of these and be easy to use for the wife. Thanks for the help.

Erik*R

Agent
you have the perfect remote control already.. its called "the wife" :)

actually I would like to know if there is one control that works for all the devices above.. I have a similar setup with equipment that has both IR and RF remotes and havent found a remote that works well with both IR/RF.

thanks guys.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
The wife is the problem. She get confused with all the remotes and get pissed when she hears one thing but the tv shows something totally different.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Have u looked at a Pronto PRO? It will do IR and RF withan optional add-on. Though u should be aware it will take much of ur time programming it to ur liking, not to mention one has to be a tad bit computer savvy.

Byron_T

Grip
I second the vote for the Harmony SST-659. I have one and it controls all of my equipment with no problems.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pronto. A friend has a Harmony. He said that the Harmony is pretty easy to program and he likes it(last I checked).

It will all depend on whether you like a touch screen or hard buttons and then decide which of those 2 you would like. I bought my father in law a Mx500 HT master remote and I didn't like it one bit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll also recommend the Harmony SST-659 or newer SST-688. I own the 659 and love it. My wife likes it a lot better than our previous universal remote -- a Marantz RC2000 MKII. It's very intuitive to use. Even my technology-challenged parents were able to figure it out without any instructions when they stayed with us over the holidays.

The SST-659 easily replaced all the functions of seven remotes in my system. It is pretty easy to setup, and the company has very good customer support if you have problems configuring the remote.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I love my MX-500, so if you also have to mix in RF, then the MX-700 is probably a great choice, although a little pricey, you can find it at surf remote for $349.95 and they have an Open box unit right now for $193.95

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
My vote is for the MX-500/MX-700, or maybe the new URC-200 from the same company. Harmony would be my 2nd choice; I greatly prefer the key layout on the HTM remotes.

Read the reviews of all over at www.remotecentral.com

If you need RF capability, then MX-600/MX-800, or URC-200 + add/on base station, depending on how much macro capability you need.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mx-500 is a godsend. i have two myself and have referred at least three friends to it as well. do a search here and see how many times that thing has been recommended. for a hundred bucks, it's a steal.

btw, on a completely side note, how do you like voom? how's the hd quality and programming variety???

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ronnie -

all the remotes mentioned here are "learning" remotes. so, they shouldn't have any issues controlling any other remote.

cruise over to remotecentral.com - more info then you ever wanted to know about remotes...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Ditto. I used to think that Universal Remotes were a waste because they couldn't replace all the features on the OEM remote. And that was true for the ones I had used, the so-called Universal Remotes that came with my RPTV or with my cable box. But the MX-500 has truly replaced all my other remotes in both my living room and master bedroom. (and I was able to program all those devices onto the one remote).

Chris_Cur

Agent
MX-500 for me as well... I've got two now. My old Pronto is in storage, except when I want to teach my MX-500 discrete codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks